Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iwatch_concept_ifoyucouldsee-250x314.jpg
Apple's iWatch has reached the "engineering verification test" (EVT) stage of development and will likely beginning shipping in 2015, according to a new report from Digitimes. While components for the device are said to be in production, sources close to the matter stated the device must also head to production verification testing (PVT) before entering mass production.

Digitimes also claims Apple is "unlikely" to unveil the iWatch during its upcoming September 9 media event, which contrasts with reports from the likes of Re/code and Bloomberg last week stating that the device would be introduced alongside the iPhone 6. A previous report suggested Apple would be debuting the device at an October event, but Re/code noted the company later ended up changing its plans.

However, an early 2015 launch for the iWatch has been suggested by a number of sources, as part leaks for the device have also been non-existent to this point. Recent rumors have suggested the device will include an array of sensors to track health and fitness-related metrics, and will be positioned as an iPhone accessory that tightly integrates with iOS 8.

Article Link: iWatch Said to Be at 'Engineering Verification Test' Stage, Components Now in Production

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
This makes a lot of sense. Apple announces months before release, allowing for control over parts (See iPhone 6 videos) and therefore hype. They have done this with most other 1st generation products, and it seems to be quite an effective method. Can't wait to see what comes on the 9th.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Just don't give us leaks and blow our minds before it goes into mass production.

I think that's why it will be announced next week. This would preclude the need to leak many of the parts. Of course I'm sure Apple will be coy about what's exactly inside this device so it's a good bet there will be many internal parts leaks leading up to it's actual availability.

A pre-announcement will also likely put a severe damper on similar products other manufacturers have released.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Greatness

This iWatch thing is great for the media. Now, even if Apple delivers some fantastic engineering feats on their actual products, the media can still focus on how Apple is afraid of the competition and didn't released an watch.

That, together with the exclusive iCloud (it's Apple's fault that celebrities don't like 2 step verification and have 1234 as passwords) bashing and the ignoring Android devices in there too, Anand will have some tough first weeks.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Eh, I'm sure anything Apple comes out with will be more advanced than my current iPod Nano watch setup, so it's a sale for me (price being reasonable of course).

Sure, I own some nice and expensive watches, but I like the nerd and utility factor.

Also, if it could keep track of my heart rate, calories burned, etc (like a Fitbit) when working out and whathaveyou, that'd be awesome!

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
We're a week away from seeing a product YEARS in the making, and the best rendering of the iWatch MacRumors can go with looks like a nerds wet dream. :rolleyes:

How about a mockup that at least looks like a nice timepiece worth the money it'll cost?

Even the duct tape mockup was better than this...

Lazy moderators are lazy.

No wonder after new product launches, people look back at all the "mockups" from these websites and laugh. You guys are pathetic.

steindlmedia

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2014
Why would Apple hold an event at the flint center if they have not something to announce besides the iPhone 6?

Doesn't make any sense.
Re/code > DigiTimes.

:apple: :apple: :apple:

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Sounds like there is not much to win for Apple on the 9th:
- iPhone6 is completely leaked
- iPayment/iWallet leaked
- iWatch is far from being ready to sell so nothing to really show

With expectations up so high, it sounds like an event with high potential to leave many people disappointed. Despite whatever engineering masterpieces Apple might present..

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
We're a week away from seeing a product YEARS in the making, and the best rendering of the iWatch MacRumors can go with looks like a nerds wet dream. :rolleyes:
I think a nerd would expect two USB ports and an SD card slot.

In fact, I am absolutely sure that the lack of USB ports will be the first and major complaint that people will have about the iWatch. From years of discussions about iPhone and iPad, I have learned that people really like to attach cables to their mobile devices for some reason.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
For some the iWatch can't come quick enough with findmyiWatch feature as it'll put an end to or at least aid in recovery of stuff like this watch theft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.