Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adoption of OS X Yosemite is steadily increasing ahead of its fall launch, due to both a system-wide redesign and the introduction of a public beta for the first time. As of August, Yosemite was installed on approximately 2.6 million machines or 3.3 percent of all Macs, according to new numbers from Net Applications (via Computerworld).

yosemiteadoptionrates.jpg
For August, Yosemite powered 3.3% of all Macs, according to metrics vendor Net Applications. That was 33 times the user share of its predecessor, OS X Mavericks, in September 2013, one month before its official launch, and nearly one-third of Mavericks' share the following month, when it was first made available to all customers.
In June, adoption rates were at 0.9 percent, jumping up to 1.2 percent in July. The 3.3 percent number comes after the introduction of the public Yosemite beta in late July, which saw as many as 1 million registered beta program members receiving access to the software. Following the launch of the beta, Yosemite's share of global Mac traffic nearly doubled.

Though the public beta has bolstered Yosemite's adoption numbers much higher than Mavericks adoption rates during a similar time frame last year, developer interest in Yosemite has also been high. July adoption numbers from before the public beta release suggested Yosemite beta usage was four times higher than Mavericks usage last year.

Operating system usage metrics can very widely, however, as Yosemite installation numbers from GoSquared are quite a bit different. According to GoSquared, machines running OS X Yosemite have accounted for just one percent of total Mac OS traffic over the past several hours, and 0.58 percent since launch. Though GoSquared points towards lower overall adoption numbers, it does show a fairly steady increase in Yosemite usage.

yosemiteadoptiongosquared.jpg
Last year, seven percent of all Mac users had installed OS X Mavericks just 24 hours after its public launch. Based on public beta numbers and high developer interest, it's likely that Yosemite Adoption will be even more rapid following its public launch. In addition to offering a revamped look, OS X Yosemite includes several features like iCloud Drive and Continuity, allowing Macs to interact with iOS devices in new ways.

OS X Yosemite is currently available only to registered developers and those who signed up for the public beta test. The operating system, which will be provided to consumers at no cost, is expected to see its public release in the fall, possibly in October.

Article Link: Pre-Launch Adoption of OS X Yosemite 33 Times Higher Than for Mavericks

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Quite a jump, and well worth it. I've been happy with Yosemite, been using it pretty much since whenever it became possible.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Not really surprising based on the fact it was available as a public beta...I know they mentioned this in the article but you hardly have to be a rocket scientist to realise there would be a significant increase.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
Unlike Mavericks, Yosemite has been released as a public beta. It makes no sense that this article would compare the pre-launch adoption of the two.

SmokyD

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
Not surprising. Yosemite looks really good. On a 4K iMac, it would look even better ;)

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Quite a jump, and well worth it. I've been happy with Yosemite, been using it pretty much since whenever it became possible.

I was thinking of installing the beta, i've heard its really stable... In your opinion is it stable enough to be used on my primary machine?

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Yosemite will soon become the fastest adopted desktop operating system of all time.

And iOS 8 the fastest adopted operating system of all time.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
What, thats a lot. Public Beta could play a role in this, but not all. Because it has more changes than mavericks, at least visually.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I was thinking of installing the beta, i've heard its really stable... In your opinion is it stable enough to be used on my primary machine?

I would never recommend using it on a machine that holds your data. Not because of stability per se, but because Apple doesn't support it. Thus, if a bug wipes your data out you'll get no support.

If you have good backups, maybe...

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Not really surprising based on the fact it was available as a public beta...I know they mentioned this in the article but you hardly have to be a rocket scientist to realise there would be a significant increase.

Not necessarily. Apple didn't widely advertise the beta, except to geeks who frequent tech sites. And they limited it to 1 million users, still a lot but not a huge number considering Apple's install base. I would guess the remaining number of users must be developers -- and that number alone is pretty impressive.

I'm really liking Yosemite, and I think it will see rapid and widespread adoption when it's released.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Well, um, yeah. Public Beta. 1,000,000 potential additional users. Realistically a couple hundred thousand.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I would never recommend using it on a machine that holds your data. Not because of stability per se, but because Apple doesn't support it. Thus, if a bug wipes your data out you'll get no support.

If you have good backups, maybe...

Yeah, you're right, i'm just being impatient ;) I do have decent backups, but even so...

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
And in other news...... Bears learn to sh** in the woods rather than using toilets in homes.

Seriously, this guy is missing the obvious. Lol.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Not necessarily. Apple didn't widely advertise the beta, except to geeks who frequent tech sites. And they limited it to 1 million users, still a lot but not a huge number considering Apple's install base. I would guess the remaining number of users must be developers -- and that number alone is pretty impressive.

According to Apple they have 275,000 registered developers (that's iOS not OS X, so likely less) in the USA which is likely their biggest market. So making a very uneducated guess let's presume there is 1 million accounts worldwide. As you mentioned they limited the beta to 1 million so they would only need 330,000 to make a 33% increase presuming every single developer downloaded Yosemite which is highly unlikely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.