Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chinese carrier China Mobile has begun taking preorders for the upcoming iPhone 6 ahead of the device's official launch, reports China Daily. Available at China Mobile Beijing, the preorder campaign appears to be aimed at drumming up interest for Apple's new devices.

On a website, China Mobile Beijing allows users to choose between the 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6, but the carrier does not offer images of the device or a potential release date. A China Daily source has suggested Chinese customers may receive the iPhone 6 as early as mid-month, however, which would be in line with previous rumors and past device release timelines.

iphone_5s_6_grass.jpg
Mockup of 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 depicted with iPhone 5s​
China Mobile's preorder campaign also confirmed rumors that Apple will release larger screens for the device as buyers are asked to choose either a 4.7-inch version or a 5.5-inch one. The iPhone 5S has a 4-inch screen.

The program is available only in Beijing and, as of Tuesday evening, had attracted more than 33,000 orders. It remains unclear when the buyers can get the device. A person familiar with the matter told China Daily the first iPhone 6 could be distributed to Chinese customers as early as mid-month.
As of Tuesday evening in China, the campaign had garnered more than 33,000 orders, pointing towards strong interest in the iPhone 6. Analysts have predicted that the launch of the iPhone 6 could see a massive spike in upgraders and Android switchers, due to its larger display and redesigned chassis.

China Mobile, the world's largest mobile carrier with more than 700 million subscribers, first began carrying the iPhone in January of 2014, after extended negotiations with Apple. Apple CEO Tim Cook called inking a deal with China Mobile a "watershed" moment," allowing the company to reach millions of new customers and significantly expand its presence in China.

As it marks an opportunity for significant growth, China has become an increasingly important market for Apple. Tim Cook visited the country multiple times in 2013 and Apple has opened several retail stores in China in 2014, including locations in Wuxi, Chongqing, and Beijing.

Apple is expected to introduce the iPhone 6 at a September 9 media event, which may also include the debut of its wearable device and a payment initiative. Though Apple is expected to preview both the 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models, it is unclear if both devices will be available to launch at the same time due to production difficulties with the larger phone.

Article Link: China Mobile Begins Accepting Preorders for Unreleased iPhone 6

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Must be nice to be Tim Cook the rest of the year. Apple is about to my a (s) load of money!

EddiOS

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2014
Apple should totally open a case about this. Unless they're scared they might lose the China Mobile deal

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Sounds familiar. If I recall China Mobile opened up iPhone 5s preorders before it was announced that it would come to them.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
iPhone 6 will take back all the switchers that are currently unhappy with androids or as Tim Cook said "made a mistake". It'll also take all the people who are on the fence and people who have to stuck with androids because they want a big screen.

An upward spike for iPhone but a downward spike for androids. It won't be a pretty picture for androids

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Apple should totally open a case about this. Unless they're scared they might lose the China Mobile deal

A case about what? The world knows the iPhone 6 is coming. If a company who will have product to sell wants to take pre-orders, what's the problem? Now, if they got inventory, and sold that early, that would be an issue. But taking a pre-order, nothing to see there. Or maybe the Chinese government wants to know who is buying one so they can wire tap them now before they get a 6.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
I had a friend text me the other day asking if he could pre-order an iPhone 6. I think I did a literal facepalm.

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
If only Apple could get mad at them over disclosing the NDA.

Unfortunately even Apple can't say no to China.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Will iFixit go to China or New Zealand to get theirs before the rest of us?

They'll probably have an iPhone 6 disassembled before the second customer gets theirs!

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
You mean Hot CakeS . Did you leave off the 'S' on purpose ? ;)

My guess is that it was simply an honest mistake. If you look at the member's profile, you would see he or she lives in Indonesia. Not everyone here is a native English speaker.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
You mean Hot CakeS . Did you leave off the 'S' on purpose ? ;)

He's waiting for the iPhone 6s to add the S :p

On topic, this is about the only way you can buy it in China, because basically people can't be trusted to form an orderly queue here. The Apple Stores will have email lottery every day to stop people causing civil disobedience.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
The Chinese market will be huge for Apple and no doubt they will be included in the first traunch of countries along with the US and UK. I just hope there will be enough phones to go around as I can't help thinking that China will be a priority market

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
The Chinese market will be huge for Apple and no doubt they will be included in the first traunch of countries along with the US and UK. I just hope there will be enough phones to go around as I can't help thinking that China will be a priority market

I know this is unlikely to happen, but can you imagine the uproar here if Tim decided to release the iPhone 6 a couple of weeks earlier in China than the US and Europe. #

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I know this is unlikely to happen, but can you imagine the uproar here if Tim decided to release the iPhone 6 a couple of weeks earlier in China than the US and Europe. #

[sarcasm] Ugh, the line out of the Beijing Apple Store will be filled with American scalpers buying up 5 units each to export back home to their own Countries. Go home scalpers! [/sarcasm]

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
T-Mobile in Germany has been doing it for over a month now. however they didnt mention what phone it is but everyone knows as they do it every year

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
T-Mobile in Germany has been doing it for over a month now. however they didnt mention what phone it is but everyone knows as they do it every year

Meanwhile, Smartone Hong Kong:

"Excited about the flagship smartphones which will launch in the coming weeks? Now you can secure your place before others for upcoming flagship smartphone by getting a RED Pass.

RED Pass is issued on a first-come, first-served basis and represents your position in line. It does not require any commitment on your part.

The earlier you get your RED Pass, the closer you are to the front of the queue. So like us on Facebook and get your RED Pass now!"

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.