Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's supply chain partners have ramped up production for components to be used the company's upcoming second-generation iPad Air, reports Digitimes. Citing sources close to production, the report claims that the device will remained unchanged in terms of size and resolution, but will feature a thinner profile, faster processor, and an improved Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

ipad_air_touch_id_mockup.jpg
iPad Air 2 mockup with Touch ID home button​

Apple has also called on touch panel suppliers TPK and GIS to manufacture full-lamination units for the device ahead of its launch this fall. The source also notes that Sharp, Japan Display, and LG Display have also seen their orders increase for the iPhone, likely indicating that Apple is now mass producing screens for the iPhone 6.

Previous leaks have also pointed to a thinner profile for the iPad Air 2, along with reports claiming that the device will feature anti-reflective coating, and an improved Touch ID sensor. It is also most certain that Apple will include a faster processor in the iPad Air 2, as the company will likely integrate its new A8 chip in the device.

Apple will likely launch the iPad Air 2 alongside the next-generation iPad mini with Retina display this fall. The company is also said to be preparing to launch a 12.9-inch iPad in early 2015.

Article Link: Apple Suppliers Said to Be Ramping Up Component Production for Thinner, Faster iPad Air 2

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
No thinner please! Make it 5 times as thick and have a full month long battery life :rolleyes:

battery life on the iPad is good, I think there's room for improvement in thinness and weight for iPad air. Mini is fine, but they can improve that too.
I feel exactly the opposite for iPhone

Next iPad needs 2GB of RAM and touchID, I'd be very happy to have multiple users on the same iPad you can switch between by touchID, but I guess I'll have to wait for that.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
We can all agree that thinner and lighter still is welcome on the iPad. The Air was a huge improvement in that area.

But on the iPhone it isn't. Maybe in bigger models, but the 4" is thinner and lighter enough. Battery is more important.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
We can all agree that thinner and lighter still is welcome on the iPad. The Air was a huge improvement in that area.

But on the iPhone it isn't. Maybe in bigger models, but the 4" is thinner and lighter enough. Battery is more important.

Don't agree, the lighter the iPhone is, the less damage it will occur when dropped.

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
iPad Air..........
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. Make it better then before. Make it thinner,faster,stronger................... :p :apple:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
no real pen input no deal.

i like my iPad 3 for everything but productive purposes. taking notes on slides in class is super annoying and you can barely keep up to what is said so i always end up taking out my macbook. how great it would be if i could just write on it as natural as a piece of paper. i heard the galaxy notes come close to it?

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London

i like my iPad 3 for everything but productive purposes. taking notes on slides in class is super annoying and you can barely keep up to what is said so i always end up taking out my macbook. how great it would be if i could just write on it as natural as a piece of paper. i heard the galaxy notes come close to it?

You can buy pens for iPad from other companies. Also, you can buy a keyboard dock/use Apple's wireless keyboard if typing on a touch screen is proving difficult.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal

I've tried them. It isn't close at all.

You can buy pens for iPad from other companies. Also, you can buy a keyboard dock/use Apple's wireless keyboard if typing on a touch screen is proving difficult.

It still doesn't come close to what you can do with a Galaxy note, for example. And that still doesn't come close to writing naturally.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Thickness-challenged?

This is definitely the iPad I'm upgrading to from the iPad 3.
TouchID here I come.

If your experience is like mine, you're going to love TouchID.

I was skeptical at first, and really didn't think TouchID would make any difference in how I used my iOS devices. But after I bought an iPhone 5s, unlocking my iPad mini seems like such a chore.

(Yes, I know, it's a First World problem. But nonetheless...)

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008

after using a current ipod touch a bunch, I couldn't disagree more. Thinner and lighter please! I don't want less battery life, but I surely don't want it fatter for more.

----------

If your experience is like mine, you're going to love TouchID.

I was skeptical at first, and really didn't think TouchID would make any difference in how I used my iOS devices. But after I bought an iPhone 5s, unlocking my iPad mini seems like such a chore.

(Yes, I know, it's a First World problem. But nonetheless...)

Touch ID isn't just faster and easier than a passcode, it's faster and easier than slide to unlock! :cool:

plumosa

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
Australia
this can't come soon enough, my iPad 2 **** itself yesterday and won't connect to wifi, 3g or iTunes whilst plugged in. It still turns on and I can use apps, but no browsing. :/

Last edited by a moderator:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

i have a pen but its not sensitive enough on the display. you always have to write a few mm from where u actually want it and it doesnt work if u have small hand writing like me. i also bought the apple bluetooth keyboard but that was annoying too going back and forth between tapping on the screen to navigate then going back to the keyboard to write.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.