Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of Apple's upcoming press event where it will introduce larger iPhone models, Samsung today kicked off IFA 2014 with a presentation that unveiled several new mobile and wearable devices including the Note 4, Note Edge, Gear S smartwatch and Gear VR headset.

note-4-800x400.jpg

The Note 4 and Note Edge are two new models in Samsung's popular Note series of large smartphones. The Note 4 is the premium model offering a 5.7-inch Quad-ultra HD (2560×1440) Super AMOLED display at 518 pixels per inch and either the 2.7 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 805 processor with support for Category 6 LTE or the 1.9 GHz octo-core Exynos 5433 with Category 4 LTE, depending on geographic location. There's also a 16-megapixel rear camera with image stabilization, a 3.7-megapixel front camera designed for selfies, a heart rate sensor, and a new S-Pen with improved sensitivity that detects pressure, nib tilt, and speed. Design-wise, the Note 4 sports a plastic textured rear housing with metallic edges.

galaxy_note_edge.jpg
Galaxy Note Edge

As an alternative to the Note 4, Samsung also unveiled the Note Edge, a smartphone that is identical to the Note 4 under the hood, but features a curved display. The curved edge of the display operate separately from the main display providing an app launcher or contextual controls depending on the app that is being used.

Samsung also detailed its Gear VR virtual reality headset that was developed in conjunction with Oculus and is compatible with the Note 4. Finally, the company also re-introduced the recently announced Gear S smart watch. The Gear S is Samsung's latest wearable, featuring a 2-inch, curved AMOLED display, and 3G connectivity. The Tizen-powered device also includes dual-core 1.0 GHz processor, 4 GB of storage, 512 MB of RAM, and sensors such as GPS, accelerometer, gyroscope, UV detector, barometer, and heart rate monitor.

galaxy_gear_s.jpg
Galaxy Gear S

Samsung did not provide pricing or exact launch dates for this new hardware, but the Korean company is expected roll out these products in the coming months. Samsung's latest mobile and wearable devices will compete with Apple's upcoming gear, which will be announced beginning next week. Apple is expected to announce its new iPhone 6 in both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch sizes and its iWatch wearable at a press event scheduled for September 9. This event likely will be followed by a second event in October that Apple may use to unveil its next generation iPad models.

Article Link: Samsung Details New Galaxy Note 4, Note Edge, Gear S Watch and Gear VR Headset

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
this was hard to watch. what an awkward keynote.

The always are... but nothing compares to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7qTHbOEiDY

The Note edge is actually something new! I like the idea of having a notifications control bar on the side. Certainly something smash able though! And something Fragemented again ;)

Does make me chuckle that they bring out a VR headset that is not compatible with only the note.. not ht enot edge. It's really arse from elbow stuff. They just don't seem to have any cohesion with their products... Just shove out any old junk and see what people buy.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, that wrap around screen does look sexy. I question the actual usage of it, but it does look nice.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Note 4 looks nice....otherwise....I'm not sure where they're going with the "edge" and the Galaxy S looks absolutely huge and bulky.....

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Not really interested in the note 4 but that edge is looking interesting.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

-Dr Ian Malcolm, 1993

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Amazing how much Samsung were initially ridiculed for the Note "phablets".

It's their best phone by a mile.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Galaxy Gear S und Rachel Rileys Hand. Haha, that was hilarious! Next stop for Samsungs Smartwatches: 5 inch!

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
There is just something about that curved display on the Note Edge that makes me hate it...Perhaps because it is not symmetrical? I guess time will tell if the public accepts them...

Mindbender14

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2014
In the Note 4 thread I said that it might be awkward to hold but looking at the pics in more detail I think it'll be ok. Samsung left the back flattish and just curved the screen.

I still question how it will be used but it is definitely new. Nice to see something different.

DarkCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2013
Why are you complaining about this post? Samsung is one of Apple's biggest competitors, makes sense to post about it.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i usually cannot stand Samsung and their keynote was forgettable as usual but i am really digging the Note Edge and I am SO jealous of those pens ... i really wish Apple would push it for productivity purposes alone.

i wonder what the battery life will be, its over a 1000 more than the rumors battery of the 5.5 inch iphone 6 right?

also that watch is way too bulky

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Last year's keynote was awkward because of the whole child box thing and the way they 'acted' out usage scenarios.

This year it was awkward because of pauses, silences, not-so-impressive features and Rachel Riley asking weird questions and making unfunny comments at the worst times.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
You guys need to quit your bitching about these types of articles. No, it isn't about an Apple product. But it IS directly related to Apple in that it's their main competition. I, for one, like seeing what the competition is up to without having to go to some Android blog. It's not like these articles flood MR daily.

Your constant complaining is far more annoying than the occasional article about Samsung hardware.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Amazing how much Samsung were initially ridiculed for the Note "phablets".

It's their best phone by a mile.

That's really not saying much, and based on the initial hands-on from a number of tech journalists, is very questionable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.