Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prehnra

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
Watch everyone trying to get in before the "iWatch."

Note to Motorola, Samsung, and now Sony: people are excited that Apple might be making a smart watch not because it will be a smart watch, but because it might actually be a good smart watch.

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
Keep the posting the Android stuff, this is my main site for Apple news so good to see what Apple fans think of the competitions.

AndroidRumours site in the making?

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
If they really want to compete with Apple, they should sell a bundle for $199:
- 1 Phablet
- 1 Smart Watch
- 1 Tablet
- 1 4K TV Set
- 1 Fridge
- 3 T-Shirts
- 1 Microwave
- 4 white Sony Stickers

You can already get that on Chinese knock off section of amazon plus cases and screen protectors for all but minus the sony stickers.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Dualshock!

To me, the best thing here is support for the PS4 Remote Play with Dualshock controller. I mean really, that's awesome. It's the best controller on the market IMO (battery life issues withstanding), plus that means you can continue PS4 games when you are on the go, and get back to playing them on your TV with the PS4 when you get back home since it supports Remote Play. That's the continuity I wish the iPad had :p

Also the products look nice, too bad I'm not into the android ecosystem.

mceolsen

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
Quick - before Sept 9th!

I see everyone is getting their products out before Sept 9th? Let Apple see everyone's products first so they can adjust the Keynote as needed? Nice...ummm...strategy?

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
those lenses are pretty cool. though i dont want to have to worry about forgetting them or stuggling to add them to my phone for the quick pic opportunity. i could see others using them!

so far both companies have awesome products, they will remain in the "awesome" category until 9/9..

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
There are a zillion companies (some with numerous self-cannibalizing products) all competing for little slices of the minuscule "smartwatch" market, all hoping it will work out once Apple makes the market big(ger). But that market will never touch the huge scale of the phone market, and even IF what Apple has turns out to be a "smartwatch" at all, it won't be a rising tide lifting all the other rushed-out-the-door boats. It will be something they have to start over and imitate anyway. I don't get it. Seems like a money pit.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i wouldnt wear one either way but i am curious to see what apple has in store for use. remember how people thought a smartphone should look like before the introduction of the first iPhone? i kinda hope history repeats itself with the copycats suddenly adapting to the "idea" a few months later

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Nice to see Sony on the way up again. I've bought lots of Sony kit over the years and it's always good quality and reliable. That band is one of the few smart watches I've seen that I would actually consider wearing. I hope Apple's iWatch is a real gem.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
It's much more than that. It IS a camera, that just uses your phone for a view finder and storage. It's not for everyone, but it has some really cool features that normal cameras lack.
What are those features? Because the 2 you mentioned are features that "normal" cameras also have, now.

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004
I see everyone is getting their products out before Sept 9th? Let Apple see everyone's products first so they can adjust the Keynote as needed? Nice...ummm...strategy?

It's either that or wait until after the keynote and have your products lost in the noise.

It seems the third option - doing what Apple does and working on products until they're ready and them releasing them, irrespective of what the competition is up to - seems to be beyond the grasp of Sony and Samsung.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
There are a zillion companies (some with numerous self-cannibalizing products) all competing for little slices of the minuscule "smartwatch" market, all hoping it will work out once Apple makes the market big(ger). But that market will never touch the huge scale of the phone market, and even IF what Apple has turns out to be a "smartwatch" at all, it won't be a rising tide lifting all the other rushed-out-the-door boats. It will be something they have to start over and imitate anyway. I don't get it. Seems like a money pit.

I seem to remember lots of people saying that the smart phone would never take off when Apple launched the original iPhone.

The smart watch will only take off if it adds something new to the mix. Eventually I can see a scenario were smart watches with phone functionality will start taking a slice of the smart phone market.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Who is going to buy a lens extension for a phone instead of just a camera?

It happens. There are lots of them for iDevices. I see them in use at a lot of places. The big advantage is having a FAT view screen (the iDevice) to be sure you are getting the shot you want instead of trying to make similar judgements on tiny LCD screens attached to cameras. There's also a fairly robust tripod market for iDevices too.

"When are you coming home?" because this is what i want to be seeing on my wrist. If this image is supposed to convince me I need a SmartWatch it is failing to do so.

Yes, again, watches are jewelry. It will be hard for any single design to delight us all. We're used to extraordinary diversity of watch designs. I'm sure an iWatch will look very sharp… but it will also be just one design. One of the big draws of jewelry is the sense of "special", meaning that people don't want to wear the exact same thing as everyone else. Look at any of the established watchmakers websites and you'll see dozens to hundreds of variations of design; there's no "one design to rule them all" even from someone as premium as Rolex. IMO, this is going to be a hard sell for Apple if an iWatch is really trying to replace watches.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

They are using the the IFA 2014 conference as a springboard to announce their new product lineups which I'm sure was scheduled a long time before Apple confirmed their keynote on September 9th.

I'm sure they all suspected Apple would be releasing new products sometime in September but there's no way they would have know the exact date when they booked their places at IFA 2014.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
smartwatch_3_press.jpg

This watch would be cool if it had a downward-facing camera on the band which fed into the background of the screen. Every time you looked at it, it'd look as if part of your arm is missing and your hand is just floating there.

I'm so easily amused..

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
It's probably back to the drawing board for most of these folks once Apple introduces theirs.....

My biggest question is how they plan to have people interact with the device. I'm wondering if they might take a step in a different direction and go more mechanical like the old days, or if they will try to rely on siri for everything like Google is doing with their wearables. If they go the Siri way, then the Android solution isn't very far off.

Who is going to buy a lens extension for a phone instead of just a camera?

umm.. I would. I much prefer to be able to use the device that I always have with me, which is always connected to the internet, which has a bunch of amazing photo editing/processing apps. Just buying a lens would likely be cheaper and smaller than a comparable quality full camera. Then I can just grab the lens when I need it and leave it when I don't. Plus it keeps all my photos managed in one location rather than divided between my phone and a camera

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
They are using the the IFA 2014 conference as a springboard to announce their new product lineups which I'm sure was scheduled a long time before Apple confirmed their keynote on September 9th.

I'm sure they all suspected Apple would be releasing new products sometime in September but there's no way they would have know the exact date when they booked their places at IFA 2014.

Exactly. Every company looks at current popularity and upcoming trends and plans many months in advance. Even Apple looks at their competitors and does a SWAT analysis to aid in their planning. It's not simply "Apple has an upcoming event, therefore everyone else must be (pre) copying them".

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Wow.

Whether you like Apple or not, they have really inspired the other tech companies to get their act together and release new interesting products.

How exactly have they 'inspired' other tech companies? They've not released a single thing yet.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
I seem to remember lots of people saying that the smart phone would never take off when Apple launched the original iPhone.

The smart watch will only take off if it adds something new to the mix. Eventually I can see a scenario were smart watches with phone functionality will start taking a slice of the smart phone market.

I thought the smart phone was already taking off before the iPhone. I remember drooling over my buddies touch screen Windows phones wishing I could afford one but they were always priced $800 to $900. Finally the iPhone came out and I had to have it even if it was $600, but at that time they hadn't "taken off" yet.

It was only when they started using contract pricing to discount them did suddenly everyone start getting them and then I was crabby at everyone that suddenly had the same phone I had for $400 less than me lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.