Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Despite the fact that there are still five days to go until Apple's September 9 media event, customers hoping to purchase one of Apple's new devices have already begun lining up at the flagship 5th Avenue Apple Store in New York City.

Apple is expected to announce the 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 at the event, along with its much-rumored wearable device and possibly a mobile payments initiative. Only the iPhone 6 is expected to ship to consumers in September however, and not until later in the month. People camping out now may be waiting more than two weeks to get their hands on one of Apple's new devices.

iphone6campers.jpg
Campers waiting outside the 5th Avenue Apple Store, via CNBC
As is typical, many of the campers lining up early are participating in publicity stunts to garner recognition for their companies, given the media attention early waiters tend to receive. Campers seem to be arriving earlier and earlier each year in order to outdo past campers. For the launch of the iPhone 5c/5s, campers began showing up on September 6, but people are going to even further extremes this year.

CNBC interviewed several of the campers, some of which arrived before the month of September even began. Brian Ceballo and Joseph Cruz, representing BuyBackWorld, arrived on Sunday, August 31 with the hope of beating a previous record for camping out for an iPhone. They plan to wait for 19 days, a day longer than the 18 day record.

Ceballo and Cruz have already profited, accepting $1,250 to give up the first place in line to Jason and Moon Ray, who are promoting a health app.

Apple's iPhone 6 event will take place on Tuesday, September 9, but it remains unclear which devices will be unveiled and which will be available for shipping in the near future. Both the company's wearable device and its 5.5-inch iPhone may not ship until later in the year or early 2015, leaving campers to pick up a 4.7-inch iPhone 6.

Based on past timelines, the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 could become available beginning on Friday, September 19.

Article Link: Campers Already Lining Up for iPhone 6 at Flagship 5th Avenue Store

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Based on past timelines, the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 could become available beginning on Friday, September 19.

This is awful for all of us who bought the iPhone 5 on Sept. 21, 2012 and are on a two-year contract.

Edit: I'm on Verizon, and apparently they don't let you upgrade early... at all. AT&T is a different story.

Last edited:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Quite pathetic when folk queue like that! They really haven't got much going on in their lives or they need the social status that they're first to have an iPhone 6. I don't think I could be friends with such people!

JKarnsy

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2013
People often tell me that I'm a big Apple fan...But then I see these people & wonder.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
Do they understand the is a difference between announce and released?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Obviously these people do not have jobs. Or they stockpiled all their vacation days for this (which is a complete waste IMO). As much as I'm a fan of Apple, I would never do this. :rolleyes:

prehnra

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
Jeez... camping 5 days for a phone.

Worse than that: odds are very good that the phone won't be available in stores for one or two weeks after the announcement. If past trends hold, they could be waiting 12 to 20 days.

That said, these people are doing it mostly for publicity (as the article starts) or to scalp phones for multiple times retail price on day 1 to very, very impatient people with more money than common sense.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
If they've got the time then good on 'em I say.

I guess it's the geek-equivalent of camping for a few days before a gig.

Personally I don't understand it in the slightest, but live and let live, and all that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.