Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several rumors circulating today have suggested that Apple might be planning to somehow involve U2 in the upcoming launch of the iPhone 6. A tipster told MacRumors that the iPhone 6 will come preloaded with the new U2 album, and there's also been some unverified chatter on Twitter from reporters in Ireland pointing towards that possibility.

Most of the rumors seem to come from a recent video shoot U2 did in Dublin, which was conducted in secrecy with "black sheets strategically placed to obscure what was happening from public view." Music promoter Stephen Browne managed to snap a blurry photo of the shoot, and he says the "focus of the 'video' on the bridge last week was a phone." It is impossible to tell what device is depicted in the photo, however, or if the shoot revolved around the iPhone.

u2videoshoot.jpg
Looks like @U2 new album maybe preloaded on to iPhone6. The focus of the "video" on the bridge last week was a phone pic.twitter.com/CUY4rKTSM9 - Stephen Browne (@Stephenbrow) September 3, 2014
A U2 fan site pointed out by a Reddit user may also be a source of the rumors, as Julian Lennon, son of late Beatles frontman John Lennon and friend to U2, reportedly told the site "I think they are shooting an Apple commercial."

According to CNET's Shara Tibken, it's also possible that Bono might be a "special musical guest" at Apple's upcoming iPhone 6 event on September 9. The event will be held at the Flint Center at De Anza College in Cupertino, and Apple is in the midst of constructing a massive structure on site.
Adding to iPhone 6 U2 rumors, I hear Bono may be special musical guest on 9-9-14. #iPhone6 - Shara Tibken (@sharatibken) September 3, 2014
It is unknown what the structure is, but some have suggested it could be a stage. San Jose Mercury News interviewed a Cupertino resident who had been observing the ongoing construction and said "It looked like a sound stage going up for a rock concert behind Flint Center."

Apple and U2 have had a long partnership, as Steve Jobs and Bono were good friends. Starting in 2004, Apple released several special edition U2 iPods, which included the band's signatures and U2's music. Apple has also been a longtime partner of (Product) RED, a charity founded by Bono.

It is unknown if these whispers and hints of a U2 iPhone 6 tie-in and possible performance are accurate, but it appears to be a possibility given all of the circumstantial evidence. Apple has plans to debut its iPhone 6 on September 9, which is, coincidentally, the same day that the first single for U2's newest album is rumored to debut.

Update: According to the Irish Independent, a U2 spokesperson has denied the rumors and speculation.
A spokeswoman for the band said Bono and co have not struck a deal with Apple to release their upcoming album on its next [iPhone.]

"They are not releasing their album on the iPhone, and they are not performing at the IPhone launch," she said.
Update 2: Irish Independent has pulled its article for unknown reasons.

Article Link: Multiple Rumors Hint at U2's Possible Involvement in iPhone 6 Launch [Updated x2]

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
woof

someone in this forum made the call and now we know what they are building for the event. a stage for friggin U2 :rolleyes:

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
i would rather have an iTunes credit and download the album that I want.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I don't really understand why they would build an external stage with limited seating when the main Flint Center auditorium already has a large stage, and good acoustics. Still thinking that building they are constructing is a fake home for HomeKit demo.

Last edited:

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Oh God. No wonder the stock price dropped? U2? How out of touch are these guys. This didn't work the first time, so they decided to try it again. They might as well use Robin Leech, it wouldn't be any stupider.

Tim Cook is an accountant.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Can't we have the celebrity nude photos instead?

You have to tell how fast the Apple public relationship department moved at last time to hire U2 to distract the attention from that issue.

Trust me... the U2 deal was planned overnight, when you have the billions everything is possible.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
Isn't U2 extremely outdated nowadays? For me, sure. It is very 2000 isn't it? I like some of their albums but they do not look like someone you would like to promote a new 2014 product at all

BTW, I don't want to sound haterish, but this whole thing about music shows during the keynote + presenting an enormous phablet and a watch together doesn't sound familiar to you? REALLY??

Last edited:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
If there is any type of music promotion it would be to justify whatever will be incorporated in the iPhone 6 based on the Beats deal.
Some kind of exclusive deal so U2 next album would be only available at iTunes...first

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.