Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I have been trying to get mine reset, but I can't seem to do that.

Is the password stored in a file or something? At least then I can probably just delete it and get OSX to accept a new password.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
generik said:
I have been trying to get mine reset, but I can't seem to do that.

Is the password stored in a file or something? At least then I can probably just delete it and get OSX to accept a new password.

I could tell you but then I would have to kill you.. ;)

Seriously though.. it must be somewhere in keychains data files. not sure exactly where though.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
k

start up from a install cd and look in the menu's above it will list reset password as one of them and you are the legal owner of ur mac right !! ;)

i had to pay £80 for a system reinstall to learn that info :eek:

Schmye Bubbula

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
Nobody answered the second part of the original poster's question: is the password stored in a text file somewhere? No doubt it's encrypted therein, but would deleting it prompt for a new password? (Never mind about the permissions & ownership of such a file for now.) Or maybe doing so would put one up the creek without a paddle?

Caleb531

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Nobody answered the second part of the original poster's question: is the password stored in a text file somewhere? No doubt it's encrypted therein, but would deleting it prompt for a new password? (Never mind about the permissions & ownership of such a file for now.) Or maybe doing so would put one up the creek without a paddle?

It would have to be stored somewhere (otherwise OS X couldn't know the right password), but I'm sure it is well hidden in one of those folders only your Mac can access. :p

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

They're not answering because the thread is 5 years old and the OP was banned from this site 3 1/2 years ago. Please check dates of the last post in a thread. And Mitthrawnuruodo answered the OP with the only information needed to resolve the problem.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Keychain =/= text

Deleting keychain is a bad idea. "Forgetting" your master password that you have to use every time you install software? Unlikely.

Holy thread resurrection.

They're not answering because the thread is 5 years old and the OP was banned from this site 3 1/2 years ago. Please check dates of the last post in a thread.

It's the new search. =p We need to make a song, the thread search song!

If you want to post a thread please search
If you found a old thread please check last post date

Now sing with me!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's the new search. =p We need to make a song, the thread search song!

If you want to post a thread please search
If you found a old thread please check last post date

Now sing with me!

I hate to criticize your songwriting skills, but you gotta rhyme!
Before you post, use your head
Search to find what others said
If you find a related thread
Check to see that it ain't dead.​
:D

dolphindolphin

macrumors regular
May 29, 2008
New York
I hate to criticize your songwriting skills, but you gotta rhyme!
Before you post, use your head
Search to find what others said
If you find a related thread
Check to see that it ain't dead.​
:D

I was singing it as "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands". Is that right?

Schmye Bubbula

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
From the on-point, helpful, useful, generous replies thus far today, I've been able to glean the following (do I have this straight, that it would give someone the opportunity to enter a new login password if, e.g., one has lost the install disc or the optical drive is inoperative?):

boot in single-user mode (Cmd-S)
mount -uaw
rm /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone
reboot

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was singing it as "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands". Is that right?
I couldn't come up with a tune right now because my wife is playing "More Bounce To The Ounce" by Zapp. :D

to enter a new login password if, e.g., one has lost the install disc or the optical drive is inoperative?):

Ever hear of Google?

http://www.google.com/search?q=mac+...y&sa=X&ei=RVZUTO-OE5D-8QaYl7HODA&ved=0CAgQpwU
How to reset your Mac OS X password without an installer disc ...

Ganesha

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
It would have to be stored somewhere (otherwise OS X couldn't know the right password), but I'm sure it is well hidden in one of those folders only your Mac can access. :p

No, it doesn't. A properly implement password system never stores password, but instead stores the password hash.

Lokrado

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Denmark
So have I got this right?
I can just pop in the install disc and gain access to any OS X system?!
What if it is filevault protected?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So have I got this right?
I can just pop in the install disc and gain access to any OS X system?!
What if it is filevault protected?

Install discs are specific to the model they shipped with. A MacBook install disc won't work on a MBP, for example.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you have the computer, all you have to do is boot up into single user mode and delete the "AppleSetupDone" file.

This tells the computer to redo the first startup sequence asking for the setup and administrator password.

Schmye Bubbula tells you how to do this, really easy way to kill off the administrator password and gain entry to a machine.

Lokrado

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Denmark
If you have the computer, all you have to do is boot up into single user mode and delete the "AppleSetupDone" file.

This tells the computer to redo the first startup sequence asking for the setup and administrator password.

Schmye Bubbula tells you how to do this, really easy way to kill off the administrator password and gain entry to a machine.

Right, but this wouldn't leave my homefolder exposed if it is encrypted with filevault?
What about keychains?

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Right, but this wouldn't leave my homefolder exposed if it is encrypted with filevault?
What about keychains?

As far as I know, there's no way to reset the master password for filevault if you forget the original. All the people above are talking about resetting admin passwords or creating a new admin user (neither of which will give access to a filevault protected user directory).

Not sure where the master filevault password stored on a global scale, but it (or more likely a hash of it) is saved as part of the encryption keys on the encrypted volumes of Filevault protected users.

I'm pretty sure it's not in one of the keychains and it's possible they only save the master filevault password in each encrypted user sparsebundle file.

Basically, you can only mount a user's encrypted volume with their password or the master filevault password

But in the end, if you're hoping to open a filevault encrypted file, you need the user's password or the master filevault password. If there's some backdoor or way to reset the master filevault password without the master filevault password (which I hope they aren't stupid enough to have done), then Apple's got a HUGE security problem.

Lokrado

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Denmark
I'm pretty sure it's not in one of the keychains and it's possible they only save the master filevault password in each encrypted user sparsebundle file.

Right, but say I have an .sparsebundle outside the home folder and have the password in my keychain, could the password get exposed that way?

So basically I'm asking the same thing again, if someone makes a new admin password, does that open up my keychain to them?

Basically, you can only mount a user's encrypted volume with their password or the master filevault password

good to hear, I just got parts of my sanity back....

But in the end, if you're hoping to open a filevault encrypted file, you need the user's password or the master filevault password. If there's some backdoor or way to reset the master filevault password without the master filevault password (which I hope they aren't stupid enough to have done), then Apple's got a HUGE security problem.

Annother security concern I spotted: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/981859/

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Right, but say I have an .sparsebundle outside the home folder and have the password in my keychain, could the password get exposed that way?

So basically I'm asking the same thing again, if someone makes a new admin password, does that open up my keychain to them?

Not if it's in your 'login' keychain, since that keychain is stored in your home directory which is protected by filevault.

Of course, even if you have a keychain saved elsewhere, you still need the user's password to access it. I don't think admins have access to keychains without the user's password. I remember having to delete a lot of login keychains when the user forgot their password or changed it and it didn't change their keychain password for some reason.

But if it's in your filevault disk image, you're pretty safe.

Personally, I don't save the passwords for my sensitive encrypted spareimage files in my keychain just to be extra safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.