Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of its planned September 9th event, Apple is building a massive structure in front of the Flint Center for the Performing Arts on the De Anza College campus in Cupertino, California. The structure is covered by a white barricade that conceals the details of the building underneath.

drone-flint-aerial-800x449.jpg
Earlier photos gave us a hint of the building, but recent aerial footage captured using a drone piloted by Sachin Patel reveals the size and scope of the project (via 9to5Mac). The building sits in front of the Flint Center on top of the college's Sunken Garden and wraps around the sides of a pre-existing sculpture.

Speculation about the building has run the gamut from performance stage to model home, with the most reasonable prediction suggesting Apple may use the venue for product demonstrations. Apple is expected to introduce the iPhone 6 along with the iWatch at the event, which means it could use the building's ample space to showcase any home automation or fitness features of its new hardware.

The Flint Center is the venue where Steve Jobs introduced the original Mac. Apple has not held an event at the location for some time, opting instead to announce new products at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts or its own Cupertino campus Town Hall theater. Due to this change in venue, it is not yet known whether Apple will be live streaming the announcement as it has done with its most recent press events. MacRumors, however, will be providing live coverage both on MacRumors.com and through the MacRumorsLive Twitter account.

Update: Shortly after this post was published, Apple confirmed it will be streaming its September 9th iPhone event to compatible Mac, iOS and Apple TV devices.

Article Link: Drone Aerial Footage Reveals Mystery Flint Center Building for iPhone 6 Announcement

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
So all the wishes for a drone flyover came true!

Guess doesn't tell us much more though, I still predict pages of comments to this thread by the time I've had my tea :cool:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Drones seem to be being used everywhere from the battlefield to stalking celebrities to trying to unravel the latest Apple products.

spacemanspifff

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
SPACE
The Stage is set...

Looks to me like a standard size festival stage covered in a white box and I should know I've played on enough of them! :)

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Drone, or a Quad copter with a GoPro camera on it?

On topic, I am for the first time in years, kind of excited to hear / see what Apple has going on this round. It may be because I am waiting to add a line to my service, and get myself a new phone, or possibly more. :)

Rouser

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
Makes me wonder if they created a building to simulate a (Nordstrom?) shopping experience with iBeacons and the new NFC payment system on the iPhone 6/iWatch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.