Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Seems odd that Apple would introduce a new product if they are still having manufacturing issues. It would be embarrassing if they have to redesign some aspect of it before launch.

It's probably not going to be released right away. They probably want to be the one to announce it before everything about it is leaked.

Not a big deal if things need to be redesigned as I'm sure they won't be showing a 100% final version.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
I want Apple to announce the new phones and then say one more thing...

Watches are a dumb idea and we floated a rumor so samesuck would spend resources building a dozen failed devices.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
I'm still trying to figure out what a watch can do for me that my phone can't. If Apple can figure that out, maybe I'll get one. If anyone can do it though, it's Apple.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
This is my favorite of the iWatch Mockups. I'd wear that watch in the mockup if it had an Apple logo on it.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Problem with wallet has never been about convenience, but the fact nearly anyone can use it without needing a PIN in the US. Heck, my debit card is almost more secure since I do need a PIN for charges over a certain amount.

Run debit card as credit
Sign a smiley face*
?????
Profit

*Assuming digital kiosk payment terminal and not a physical receipt. You can actually use the stylus and make one single dot on the signature line and it will accept it. Your actual signature is NOT needed to complete a transaction.

CloaknDagger

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2014
iPhone-nano

Apple could be announcing the iPhone-nano, not a so called 'iWatch'.

On Tuesday, they could announce:

(1) 4.7" iPhone
(2) an even bigger 5.5" iPhone
(3) and one last thing...an iPhone-nano

A phone you can slap on your wrist and go swimming with; a phone you can place on your child's wrist and not worry it falling out of their pocket/backpack.
Dick Tracy phone for the rest of us..

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I predicted this last year. Makes a lot of sense. Bringing your wrist to the register is a lot more natural that pulling your phone out of your pocket and doing the same.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
How does Touch ID come into play?
Wasn't the whole thing about Touch ID was to use it for mobile payments?
How is that going to work on a watch?
I believe the watch will sense when you put it on and take it off. So, you put it on and do a touchID on the phone. It knows it is you wearing the watch now. As long as you keep the watch on and it stays in range of the phone, you need not authenticate anything more on the watch or phone. Wave your watch at the cash register and you're done.

fungus

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
@unclefungus
Seems odd that Apple would introduce a new product if they are still having manufacturing issues. It would be embarrassing if they have to redesign some aspect of it before launch.

Like the white iPhone 4 proximity sensor that delayed it 10 months?

wip42.jpg

It's probably not going to be released right away. They probably want to be the one to announce it before everything about it is leaked.

Not a big deal if things need to be redesigned as I'm sure they won't be showing a 100% final version.

New products always get announced months ahead of time for this reason. iPod, iPhone, iPad, new Mac Pro, etc. They can't stop the leaks, doubling down or not.

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
So I'll ask the obvious question - will this be a manual or a self-winding watch? I r-e-a-l-l-y hope it is one of those self-winding watches.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
I hope so! This is where NFC for mobile payments SHOULD be. If I have to pull my phone out of my pocket, why not just pull out my wallet?

Waving my wrist seems more efficient.

Yeah wrist is probably more efficient. But I imagine having it in both is nice (especially as there will be way more compatible iPhones than iWatches in the near future - and to really drive adoption you want this to be used as wide as possible).

In terms of the iPhone vs a normal card in a wallet. You still need to take a card out of the wallet. Swipe/insert. Wait for the terminal to process (sometimes in the UK at least this can be slooow). Enter PIN. Wait a bit more.

In terms of contactless card. Open wallet. Remove card. Wave card over reader. Enter PIN (if over £20). This is better than above but...

What I'm hoping for on the iPhone. Tap phone on terminal. Authorise via TouchID. Done. Receipt is stored somewhere electronically and you can optionally ask for a paper version.

It should be just as fast as a contactless card payment (if not faster as you are not having to remove a card from a wallet). And Security wise TouchID is leaps ahead of a 4 digit PIN or signature.

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
New products always get announced months ahead of time for this reason. iPod, iPhone, iPad, new Mac Pro, etc. They can't stop the leaks, doubling down or not.

I generally agree, but I do think the timing is off. I don't believe Apple will announce a product months ahead of time when the months in-between cover the holiday months. Put another way, as with the iPhone announcement, I believe Apple will make an announcement such that the waiting period doesn't make people think twice on buying Apple products during the holidays - choosing between what they 'want' now with want the are excited about coming out right after the holidays

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
This is my dream for the iWatch:

• B&M payments with a wave of wrist
  • integrated passbook (wave wrist to scan tickets)
  • integrated healthkit (EMT can scan wrist for vital health info)
  • lock/unlock doors upon entry/leaving
  • close/open garage door upon entry/leaving
  • start my car upon seating (hello Tesla)
  • lock/unlock my car doors
  • adjust home heating/cooling via remotely or upon entry/leaving
  • control music playlist played through home speakers
…and of course the boring tethered functions Android wearables seem to be doing, smartphone notifications.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I hope so! This is where NFC for mobile payments SHOULD be. If I have to pull my phone out of my pocket, why not just pull out my wallet?

Waving my wrist seems more efficient.

I agree it would be nice and efficient in an iWatch, but why a phone is better than a wallet for NFC is because you'd have to carry a NFC chip in your wallet for each NFC card you had. If you have membership cards and CC, you'd lighten your wallet load if it was in the phone. Also it's more secure in a phone than in your wallet, because it can be turned off and on. Off and on with the fingerprint reader could mean only you can use that NFC device on a phone.

If the iWatch looks like the bracelet, or the one in this thread I won't buy it. So then no NFC for those who don't buy the iWatch?

eezacque

Feb 17, 2013
This is my dream for the iWatch:

• B&M payments with a wave of wrist
  • integrated passbook (wave wrist to scan tickets)
  • integrated healthkit (EMT can scan wrist for vital health info)
  • lock/unlock doors upon entry/leaving
  • close/open garage door upon entry/leaving
  • start my car upon seating (hello Tesla)
  • lock/unlock my car doors
  • adjust home heating/cooling via remotely or upon entry/leaving
  • control music playlist played through home speakers
…and of course the boring tethered functions Android wearables seem to be doing, smartphone notifications.

YM a device that royally screws you when it gets stolen?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I agree it would be nice and efficient in an iWatch, but why a phone is better than a wallet for NFC is because you'd have to carry a NFC chip in your wallet for each NFC card you had. If you have membership cards and CC, you'd lighten your wallet load if it was in the phone. Also it's more secure in a phone than in your wallet, because it can be turned off and on. Off and on with the fingerprint reader could mean only you can use that NFC device on a phone.

If the iWatch looks like the bracelet, or the one in this thread I won't buy it. So then no NFC for those who don't buy the iWatch?

I believe NFC is also coming to the iPhone.

I have different views and thoughts about the iWatch than most I guess. Many are upset by the idea that it could be an accessory to the iPhone. I actually prefer this....I don't need to make calls or take pictures from my watch. I want added security measures through two factor verification using the watch and phone, a slew of sensors for health, environment, weather etc, notifications, Siri for asking general information questions and iTunes match for my music.

Other than that, I really don't have any needs in a smartwatch. And I have no desire for it to replace my iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.