Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a lengthy article covering Apple's iWatch and iPhone 6 plans for next Tuesday's media event, The New York Times reports the iPhone 6 will support an optional "one-handed mode" to make it easier for users on the larger-screened devices.
To deal with concerns that a bigger phone will make typing with one hand difficult (the current iPhone has a 4-inch screen), some changes to the design of the iPhones' software interface will allow people to type or use apps with just one hand -- there will be a one-handed mode that can be switched on and off, two employees said.
The report reiterates rumors that the iPhone 6 will come in 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch sizes, considerably larger than the 4-inch screen included on recent iPhone models. Apple has touted the ease of one-handed use on its current lineup as competitors have moved to even larger displays, and this new one-handed mode will clearly serve as an answer to Apple's own previous criticism of large-screen phones. Exactly how this mode will work is unclear, however.

iphone_5s_6_grass.jpg
iPhone 5s next to physical mockups of 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6
The New York Times also reiterates circulating rumors that the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 will be priced higher than the 4.7-inch model, with both devices also including near field communications (NFC) to support a new mobile payments initiative.

Apple's media event kicks off at 10:00 AM Pacific Time next Tuesday, and Apple will be providing a live video stream of the event. MacRumors will also be providing coverage of the event with a liveblog and Twitter updates.

Article Link: iPhone 6 to Support 'One-Handed Mode' to Address Usability on Larger Screens

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
One-handed mode: decent idea.
Small enough phone to where it's not needed: much better idea.

I'd take a 3.5" iPhone 6 if they made it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I would never suggest that features need not be included. To each their own. However - this mode is silly to me. My phone now is 5" and I can use it easily with one hand. 5.5 - maybe... but even so - I find the option not important to me.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Wasn't there a Samsung phone that had a 'one handed mode'? It shrunk the content of the screen a bit down to one corner so it was all within reach of a thumb.

TreyCox

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Washington, DC
I'll have to see this to really be able to tell if it's a gimmick or actually useful. Hopefully it makes typing easier, though. I welcome it. It's not hurting anything as it's going to be able to be disabled if we don't like it.

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Not sure but...

I'm not sure why Apple would have such as hard time with this. I mean, I've been able to use my 5.5" device for years with one hand...

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I'd guess the keyboard can be shrunk and positioned to lower right or left corner depending on if you are right or left handed. Maybe some of the other on screen controls are kept within thumb's reach and then move away when you're not typing.

timshundo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I knew it! Probably something like this. Swipe left or right on the keyboard to shrink it down and move it to the side for easy, one-handed thumbing.

R6NHgBj.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.