Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applestorenewicon.png
Apple today updated its Apple Store app to version 3.0, adding several new improvements and design updates. The app now features new icons along the bottom bar, with the "Products" section renamed to "Shop" to make it easier for users to make purchases within the app. The overall app icon has shifted from a cart to a bag.

There's also a new icon for "Stores," and an "Account" tab that replaces the previous "More" tab. Several other UI elements have been redesigned as well, giving the iPhone app a cleaner feel that's more in-line with the iPad version.

According to Apple's release notes, it's now possible to start shopping on one device and seamlessly switch to another device, including a Mac or PC. That means that a user who puts an item in the cart in the app will see the same item in the cart on Apple's website if logged in, allowing for easy transitions between devices.

Along with purchasing improvements, the "Stores" tab has been updated to display information about upcoming events at a user's local retail location, and the app, which is now universal, has been updated with the ability to create One to One reservations on the iPad.

applestoreappredesign.jpg
What's New in Version 3.0
- Now start shopping on one device and finish on another, or even on your Mac or PC.
- Find out about upcoming events and workshops at nearby Apple Retail Stores using the new Stores tab on your iPhone.
- On iPhone and iPod touch, there's an all-new design with more refined navigation and imagery.
- On iPad, you can now make One to One reservations.
The update to the Apple Store app comes just days before Apple's upcoming iPhone 6 event and a few weeks before the iPhone 6 is expected to go on sale. Prior to this update, the Apple Store app was last given a minor update in March to add notification improvements. The app's last major update came in late 2013, when the company released a version of the app for the iPad.

Apple's newly updated Apple Store app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Update: As the iPhone version of the Apple Store app is now universal, replacing the original Apple Store app for the iPad, users in countries outside of the U.S. are now able to install the app on their iPads. Previously, the Apple Store app for the iPad was limited to U.S. customers.

Article Link: Apple Store App Gets Redesigned Look, Improved Navigation

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
iPod touch

Finally the iPod touch is mentioned. Slight hope of an update to be on par with the iPhone 6?

edit: I also love the new shopping bag icon. But let's be honest, if you shop online, the icon should be a shipping box. ;-)

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Apple Store App? WTF? They couldn't make the website work on mobile? Pfft...

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
It's finally a "universal" app with support for iPad and iPhone. Previously the iPad and iPhone apps were separate apps.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Updated with the yet-to-be-released new payment functionalities with Touch ID ?

I believe it should say that in the article, but so far nobody knows :D

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Apple Store App? WTF? They couldn't make the website work on mobile? Pfft...

Apple have so far resisted going fully responsive across their entire online estate. My guess is that to do so, would damage the whole concept of being able to view full scale websites on a mobile device... which was a key selling point early on.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
So have those 'Beats by Dr. Dre' ear cans been rebranded yet? Or are they still pushing out product with the old Beats logo??

oldwren

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Soooo much Myriad considering Ive's push for Helvetica cross-OSes. Personally, I like Myriad and hope Apple continues using it.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
Looks like the update borked the Genius Bar Reservation page (receiving an "Error: We're sorry. We're having trouble processing your request. Please try again later.").

zubikov

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
PA
I really wish Apple would realize how much credibility they're losing by selling Beats by Dre alongside other Apple products. Anything they'll ever say about engineering, quality, superiority, materials, etc...all goes out the window. They're peddling overpriced plastic garbage. Unlike other products, there are way better headphones alternatives at the same price.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I really wish Apple would realize how much credibility they're losing by selling Beats by Dre alongside other Apple products. Anything they'll ever say about engineering, quality, superiority, materials, etc...all goes out the window. They're peddling overpriced plastic garbage. Unlike other products, there are way better headphones alternatives at the same price.
No noticeable credibility will be lost and they'll continue being just fine.

skippingrock

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2005
No free apps…

I've looked around the app, but it looks like there are no more free offerings of iOS apps available for download through the app.

Anyone find it?

:confused: :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.