Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009

brought this home yesterday

omgosh, absolutely LOVELY caad10.

2014 right? Which dealer did you end up going with? Also, any good paths around your way? I always see cyclists crossing the street, into the forest, on E randolph.

edit:
Google tells me its "rock creek trail." Know I just gotta find out where the starting point is so I can park first.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008

2014 right? Which dealer did you end up going with? Also, any good paths around your way? I always see cyclists crossing the street, into the forest, on E randolph.

edit:
Google tells me its "rock creek trail." Know I just gotta find out where the starting point is so I can park first.

The two ends of Rock Creek Trail are in Derwood, MD and at the DC line parallel to Beach Dr.

Here are the coordinates:

39.114691,-77.127962

38.986457, -77.053173

I ride the RCT at least once a week, great ride. It runs from Lake Needwood all the way to the DC line, about 17 miles one way. I feel like it's the best trail in the area. Least crowded, great forest scenery, and a nice workout. :)

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
The two ends of Rock Creek Trail are in Derwood, MD and at the DC line parallel to Beach Dr.

Here are the coordinates:

39.114691,-77.127962

38.986457, -77.053173

I ride the RCT at least once a week, great ride. It runs from Lake Needwood all the way to the DC line, about 17 miles one way. I feel like it's the best trail in the area. Least crowded, great forest scenery, and a nice workout. :)

You effing rock!

So the marker on the map is the start point? If so, it seems to be only 15 minutes away from me so super convenient too. I planned on going to do the NCR tomorrow but maybe i'll just do RCT.

Would you by chance know if theres parking near the marker on the map?

Also, is it a straight trail or does it branch off left and right?

I hate to say it but one of my fears is getting lost in the forrest lol.

kLMq9aU.png

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Got the new bike on Friday and I really like it. Still trying to get the seat and bars dialed in though.

Well, I liked the Public D8i so much I bought another one (M7i) so my friend could go riding too.

A couple of proper bicycles to my way of thinking.

A basket on the front would make them just a little more practical. In Japan, where I lived for a couple of years, it was rare to see a bicycle without a basket…… Millions of bicycles used every day by smartly dressed salarymen and office ladies, going to railway stations on their daily commute.

Although I have nothing against sporty and recreational bicycles for sports and recreational use, practical bicycles for everyday transport are where it is at from my point of view.

My mates showed me how to ride a bicycle when I was 7 years old, more than 50 years ago. Cycling has been in my transport mix one way or another ever since, but I have never owned a scrap of lycra, and likely never will. I have occasionally owned or had the use of a car, but bicycles and motorcycles have been the mainstay of my personal transport needs.

The bicycle below has been my daily ride since 2003 for commuting and most trips within a 8 to 10 mile radius of my apartment. A six speed Chinese cheapie, it cost about 100 US dollars, new, and another $25 for the basket and lights. For longer trips I have a small motorcycle. I have rented a car on about four occasions in the last ten years.

[URL=http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/AjarnMick/media/Around%20Phuket/MydeadlytreadlyatBangwadDam_zps97d94544.jpg.html] [/URL]

Last edited:

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
You effing rock!

So the marker on the map is the start point? If so, it seems to be only 15 minutes away from me so super convenient too. I planned on going to do the NCR tomorrow but maybe i'll just do RCT.

Would you by chance know if theres parking near the marker on the map?

Also, is it a straight trail or does it branch off left and right?

I hate to say it but one of my fears is getting lost in the forrest lol.

Sorry for the late reply, but yes, there is a parking lot right at that start point. You got it exactly right, it's right where the red marker is.

There is only one trail and it doesn't branch off. As you go down the trail, there are some entrance points from neighorhoods, but it goes down all the way to DC and follows the creek. As long as you keep the creek next to you, you won't get lost. It crosses through some public parks and some roads, but for the most part, it's a nicely paved and quiet trail all the way down. If in doubt, just load up goog maps and make sure you're still in the forest and have the creek nearby. Happy riding!

Last edited:

bastisk8

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010
Here`s my roadbike. Fairly basic with Shimano Sora Group but i really like it. Just replaced the saddle, though.

Attachments

• IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 193

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Sorry for the late reply, but yes, there is a parking lot right at that start point. You got it exactly right, it's right where the red marker is.

There is only one trail and it doesn't branch off. As you go down the trail, there are some entrance points from neighorhoods, but it goes down all the way to DC and follows the creek. As long as you keep the creek next to you, you won't get lost. It crosses through some public parks and some roads, but for the most part, it's a nicely paved and quiet trail all the way down. If in doubt, just load up goog maps and make sure you're still in the forest and have the creek nearby. Happy riding!

Thanks for the reply vincenz! Ended up riding it today. Started at the marker that was on the map.

Unfortunately I had no idea idea that the start of the trail is under construction in some parts. Needless to say, I went over some gnarly patches and will be checking my tires/rims tomorrow to make sure there are no dents in the rim and holes in the tires/tubes.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Cube hard tail mountain bike. I put some SPD pedals on it and I have bloody knees to prove it.

I'm very impressed with the stability of the GoPro mount.

Attachments

• IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    909.8 KB · Views: 166

=w=

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Here is me on it earlier today. Me taking a tumble in it.

http://vimeo.com/104832386

What happened when you fell there? Just looked like you were doing a normal stop.

Also, are you saying anything to these people when you weave closely past them? I didn't have sound on the video. I wasn't sure if the video doesn't have it or it was just me. Video has been acting up for me lately.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
What happened when you fell there? Just looked like you were doing a normal stop.

Also, are you saying anything to these people when you weave closely past them? I didn't have sound on the video. I wasn't sure if the video doesn't have it or it was just me. Video has been acting up for me lately.

I couldn't release my foot from the clip and so went over. There wasn't that many people and I think the fact the video has been sped up to double speed makes it look like a bit careless. There was no audio.

----------

/"\/oo\/"\;19548845 said:
I'm guessing there was a failure to clip out of said pedals...which happens :eek:

Bingo. It's very strange when you realise you've lost it and accept that you are going to fall. Funny and embarrassing.

----------

Exciting vid. The sudden flop was unexpected. Had me on the edge of my seat.

Cheers, yes it was unexpected for me too.

=w=

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
I couldn't release my foot from the clip and so went over. There wasn't that many people and I think the fact the video has been sped up to double speed makes it look like a bit careless. There was no audio.

Ahh.. i've never used clipless pedals before. (correct me if i'm wrong about the name of them.. it confuses me since I don't use them ever).

I don't like the idea of actually being attached to my bike. I have a phone mount and use headphones and I don't even really like being tethered to my bike like that, even though it's not an extremely solid connection.

I can see how the video could make it seem careless. Honestly, i've stopped saying something if I can get away with it. I've noticed that saying something just makes it worse a lot of the time.

If I say "on your left" then people jump and scatter and you have no idea which way they are going to go. Some people hear left and move left. Some people just stand still where they are and try to make themselves small by pulling in their limbs. It's really funny how different people react.

edit:

Yes, 2014 CAAD10-5 Shimano 105. I bought on closeout from REI in College Park because that was the only place with stock in my size.

I normally ride into Bethesda and ride along the Capital Crescent Trail into Georgetown.

Easiest place to pick that up is in Bethesda off Bethesda Ave behind the Honda dealer (next to the ongoing construction site)

I normally ride from my house to there and back which puts me around 31 miles.

http://www.strava.com/activities/173332525

Alternately, I'll ride a loop on-road near my house that takes me about 24 miles along some scenic backroads.

http://www.strava.com/activities/176114233

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Ahh.. i've never used clipless pedals before. (correct me if i'm wrong about the name of them.. it confuses me since I don't use them ever).

I don't like the idea of actually being attached to my bike. I have a phone mount and use headphones and I don't even really like being tethered to my bike like that, even though it's not an extremely solid connection.

I can see how the video could make it seem careless. Honestly, i've stopped saying something if I can get away with it. I've noticed that saying something just makes it worse a lot of the time.

If I say "on your left" then people jump and scatter and you have no idea which way they are going to go. Some people hear left and move left. Some people just stand still where they are and try to make themselves small by pulling in their limbs. It's really funny how different people react.

My way of dealing with that is to either pass people without saying anything (giving them plenty of room) or to slow right down to walking speed and wait until they move.

On the topic of clipless pedals, you get used to them over time. I used to be nervous about them when I first started - but to be honest I'm totally at ease with them now to the point where it I don't even think about them. It's second nature. If you ask me to ride a bike without them, that feels odd because I haven't done that for so long. I have the pedals set up for the lowest tension so if I need to I can quickly get unclipped.

Picture taken last year, bar tape is now green and I've bought deeper wheels.

Really nice! :) I've been looking at one - but the prices on UCI legal ones (just the frame alone) are in the AUD$7K range. :eek::eek::eek: That puts it out of my reach. I have a feeling if I go for one it will be a Giant Trinity. Those are priced within the range of mere mortals. ;)

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
My way of dealing with that is to either pass people without saying anything (giving them plenty of room) or to slow right down to walking speed and wait until they move.

On the topic of clipless pedals, you get used to them over time. I used to be nervous about them when I first started - but to be honest I'm totally at ease with them now to the point where it I don't even think about them. It's second nature. If you ask me to ride a bike without them, that feels odd because I haven't done that for so long. I have the pedals set up for the lowest tension so if I need to I can quickly get unclipped.

I came off the bike again today because of the pedals. Hurt my hand which is quite sore still. Further down the road as I was trying to take my right foot out of the pedal, the cleat came off the shoe and stayed in the pedal. My fault, they weren't tight enough. It was a bit of a problem getting it out of the pedal but managed to get it all together again and got back to cycling. More falls to come I think.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Okay then - back off the tension in the pedals as much as possible, then just ride around on a grassy field and practice clipping in and unclipping from the pedals. Unclip as you are rolling to a stop, and always, always lean to the side that is unclipped. If you do this enough, you'll develop muscle memory to do this elegantly.

It's easier said than done, I know. But a lot of it is also fear of falling when you are locked in to the pedals.

But on the other hand, the feeling of being able to really crank the pedals very forcefully with absolute confidence, that's nice.

Hang in there! :cool:

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
New frame bought yesterday, new crank, new chain. Love this bike now!

Ugh, it uploaded upside down.

Attachments

• bike.JPG
    bike.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 189

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Here's my brand new Pashley Parabike! I just picked it up this evening, and I've ridden a grand total of 2 miles, mostly uphill. 1st gear is just about low enough, I only had to stand on the steepest section, and I got into 2nd (out of 5) on a brief flat section. I can't see myself ever needing 5th - what's your opinion on changing the sprockets?

It's going to be parked here, a keypad secured bike shed attached to my housing scheme. The house itself is too small to park anything other than my Brompton. Is there likely to be any problem with this vertical storage? (I've never seen another bike here, so I could probably just park it sideways) Will the oil and grease stay where it should? Will the Brooks saddle deform? Speaking of which, never having owned a leather saddle before, what do I need to know about caring for it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 178
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.