Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I know, I know, no one's waiting for a new iPod nano.:D

But I am. I wish there was something that really catered to runners and people who work out.

The 6th gen square was a great size if you wore it as a watch...no GPS, no BT.
The iPod Shuffle is great for no look advancing of tracks with it's physical buttons, but no display, no BT, no GPS.

The current nano is close. Good size for holding, not so much as a watch...and it lacks a GPS.

Will there be an 8th gen nano?
I wouldn't mind if they kept it the same form factor and simply dropped in a GPS.
But perhaps this is treading on iPhone/Touch territory.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I know, I know, no one's waiting for a new iPod nano.:D

But I am. I wish there was something that really catered to runners and people who work out.

The 6th gen square was a great size if you wore it as a watch...no GPS, no BT.
The iPod Shuffle is great for no look advancing of tracks with it's physical buttons, but no display, no BT, no GPS.

The current nano is close. Good size for holding, not so much as a watch...and it lacks a GPS.

I wouldn't mind if they kept it the same form factor and simply dropped in a GPS.
But perhaps this is treading on iPhone/Touch territory.
I love my seventh gen nano, and it's an amazing workout tool. I do agree with you that there are some improvements to be made that can make it even better!
I like the size and shape, basically everything about the nano physically. I would love GPS like what is in that nike+ watch. And I think (similar to the iwatch) it would be nice if you could pair it with your iphone, but as I think about that I think maybe the nano doesn't need that because the iwatch should be able to do everything the nano can do...at this point with no rumors, it's hard to tell.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Two features would make me buy one tomorrow: water resistance and a belt clip. I used a 6th gen nano for running until I cracked the screen and sweat got in and now the screen won't work, followed by a 2nd gen shuffle whose power lock stopped working this morning, presumably because I sweat too much. :) I'd buy one of those waterproof shuffles if it weren't so expensive. Perhaps that'll go on my Christmas list or something.

I want an mp3 player that can be clipped to my waistband (I don't want an armband), withstand sweat, and ideally sync to my bluetooth headphones. It doesn't even have to be an Apple product at this point. I sync so rarely that I would put up with that difficulty if I could find something that lasted and met those criteria.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

If Apple keeps iPod nano in the 2014-15 line up, I suspect it will be a 7th generation carry over with iOS 7 style redesign.

I don't think iPod nano will get a full update because (1) while profitable, it represents a small fraction of Apple's revenue and earnings, (2) I suspect iWatch will be a superset of iPod nano, and (3) iWatch is rumored to arrive in several price tiers, so it is entirely possible for low-end model to overlap iPod nano's price.

iJcaP

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Wi-Fi with iTunes in the cloud streaming would be nice. Also some implementation of beats Music would be cool too.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Wi-Fi with iTunes in the cloud streaming would be nice. Also some implementation of beats Music would be cool too.

Why on earth would we need wifi and itunes on a device used by most for working out/connecting to their car stereo? It seems what you want is an iPhone, not an iPod.

iJcaP

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Why on earth would we need wifi and itunes on a device used by most for working out/connecting to their car stereo? It seems what you want is an iPhone, not an iPod.

It may be idiotic but it was just an idea. Anyway, they may lower the price and make it even more affordable. Thus, it would be more affordable than an iPhone or iPod touch.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
It may be idiotic but it was just an idea. Anyway, they may lower the price and make it even more affordable. Thus, it would be more affordable than an iPhone or iPod touch.

Don't see Apple adding features and lowering the price on what's considered a dead market.

gewawd

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Asia
I honestly can't imagine how Apple may continue to improve the current iPod nano. Well, maybe aside from that GPS requests some are craving.

The current generation is a combination of the best features of Apple's previous nanos. A tall design, touch, and now, Bluetooth + physical remotes at the left hand side.

If Apple doesn't update the hardware this 2014, the best I can hope for is a major software update that brings the iOS 7 & 8 design language to our 7th gen nanos. :cool:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
With iPod classic finally retired, I would love to see higher capacity iPod nano with refreshed UI (flat iOS 7 look) in 2 configurations:
  • 32GB: $149
  • 128GB: $299

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
With iPod classic finally retired, I would love to see higher capacity iPod nano with refreshed UI (flat iOS 7 look) in 2 configurations:
  • 32GB: $149
  • 128GB: $299

I could see the 32gb becoming the base model at $149 but I doubt we will see a 128gb iPod other than the iTouch.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I could see the 32gb becoming the base model at $149 but I doubt we will see a 128gb iPod other than the iTouch.

I frankly don't see 128GB iPod nano as a possibility either, but it would be nice if it can go out with a bang.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
Two features would make me buy one tomorrow: water resistance and a belt clip. I used a 6th gen nano for running until I cracked the screen and sweat got in and now the screen won't work, followed by a 2nd gen shuffle whose power lock stopped working this morning, presumably because I sweat too much. :) I'd buy one of those waterproof shuffles if it weren't so expensive. Perhaps that'll go on my Christmas list or something.

I want an mp3 player that can be clipped to my waistband (I don't want an armband), withstand sweat, and ideally sync to my bluetooth headphones. It doesn't even have to be an Apple product at this point. I sync so rarely that I would put up with that difficulty if I could find something that lasted and met those criteria.

when i go out for a workout i always leave my iPod shuffle in my pocket. I also bought a pair of EarPods on ebay so i could adjust volume and change tracks via the remote

----------

If Apple keeps iPod nano in the 2014-15 line up, I suspect it will be a 7th generation carry over with iOS 7 style redesign.

I don't think iPod nano will get a full update because (1) while profitable, it represents a small fraction of Apple's revenue and earnings, (2) I suspect iWatch will be a superset of iPod nano, and (3) iWatch is rumored to arrive in several price tiers, so it is entirely possible for low-end model to overlap iPod nano's price.

iPod line will survive cause there is lots of people who want devices that work without having to connect to internet or require a monthly fee. also the watch requires the user to carry an iPhone. plenty of people out there use iPod but don't own an iPhone

----------

one thing i'm afraid of is they met be reluctant to update the UI on an iPod nano, thinking it could kill some watch sales.

I wish the iPod nano screen would rotate into landscape mode cause i would wear it on my wrist during workouts. but now i think they wouldn't do that cause it would conflict with the watch.

because of the watch coming out, i can see them upgrading the iPod shuffle with no UI and get rid of the nano all together.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
With the Apple watch announced now, and the potential trajectory for that device once it gets into 2nd and 3rd generation (which may already be in development within Apple); I believe that the Nano is on its way to follow the Classic into oblivion by 2016, if not sooner.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I think an 8th Gen Nano should have built-in Wifi, if anything for to stream iTunes Radio; and perhaps Wifi sync with iTunes.

I'm not commenting on form factor, not much left to say in the way of ideas.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
With the Apple watch announced now, and the potential trajectory for that device once it gets into 2nd and 3rd generation (which may already be in development within Apple); I believe that the Nano is on its way to follow the Classic into oblivion by 2016, if not sooner.

Isn't the nano the best selling iPod? If that goes away, I don't think any of the iPods will be around anymore.

ribpeal

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
I believe that if there was a Nano 8 (which there probably won't), it will have wi-fi for streaming or iTunes app, but no internet browser, due to small screen. I hope they will also ramp up the storage to 32GB. One more thing: a camera for video AND still photos. Those are just some things I would like in it, if Apple decides to make one.

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
iPod line will survive cause there is lots of people who want devices that work without having to connect to internet or require a monthly fee. also the watch requires the user to carry an iPhone. plenty of people out there use iPod but don't own an iPhone
I think that the only iPods that are safe are the Touch and the Shuffle.

one thing i'm afraid of is they met be reluctant to update the UI on an iPod nano, thinking it could kill some watch sales.
The current Nano form-factor won't kill sales of the aWatch. I'm currently using a 6th gen Nano as a watch (which is now drawing quite a bit of attention), but that isn't being sold anymore. I think that with the aWatch, the Nano becomes redundant IF it can perform the same standalone functions as the Nano (except video playback).

I wish the iPod nano screen would rotate into landscape mode cause i would wear it on my wrist during workouts. but now i think they wouldn't do that cause it would conflict with the watch.

because of the watch coming out, i can see them upgrading the iPod shuffle with no UI and get rid of the nano all together.
I believe that this is the most probably outcome.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I think that the only iPods that are safe are the Touch and the Shuffle.

Although you may be right, I frankly think the better outcome is for iPod nano to be the sole survivor, but cost reduced to $79 without EarPods and $99 with EarPods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.