Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ok, this is somewhat interesting and I'm wondering why Apple with their MPEG QuickTime options haven't arleady done it - especially since regular tvs have only 640x480 res - you can get a lot of mileage on a 120 Gig disk. But I wonder if you'd be able to switch channels with the software or have to do it manually. The interface they talk about has buttons on the tower, not what I would want. Go all software, including the cable box interface and you could have a very cool system - add an extra monitor and you'd have the perfect setup.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/11/29/sproject.hs02.media.center/index.html

AssassinOfGates

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
A cardboard box.
Not to mention the TAM also had one. I myself used to use an ixTV card in my old powermac 7500, and now I use EyeTV. The only thing that bugs me about TV cards is MPEG recording, and Quicktime 5/6's bug with MPEG audio. It takes forever to demultiplex and convert so you can keep the audio.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
You can already do that with some third-party hardware and software right now, I do it.
But that Media Centre XP is pretty slick I gotta say.
If it wasn't from MS and you could get it seperate from a whole computer, I might consider it.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
How much Hard Drive space does it use? Is it doing any actual damage to your Hard Drive? Thank you for your imput! :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by idkew
apples been there, done that. years ago.

But this is quite a bit of a step up from that - I even saw the ad on TV recently and it has some nice appeal. It would require an actual test drive though - but I'm thinking the software and hardware available today make it a much more practical - and the fact that the price isn't too bad either.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.