Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
I'm currently editing a wedding DVD for my friend, and am in collaboration with the photographers to acquire their photos to make a slideshow on the DVD.

I was just asked which resolution I would like the photos to be delivered as.

Seeing as this is a DVD, which resolution is suggested for a quality picture on the DVD?

This my first time using photos on a DVD, so any other tips I should know about for the best quality of photos?

Thank you for your help

-B Eastman

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Well DVD is 720x480 pixels in Non-Square (.9) NTSC format.
Do you plan on panning and scaling the photos in a motion app?
Or just straight slide show?
There is a scale of .9 in pixels going from square to non-square pixels NTSC.
In plain english, you will see some scaling if you dont edit to the DVD format resolution.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Well DVD is 720x480 pixels in Non-Square (.9) NTSC format.
Do you plan on panning and scaling the photos in a motion app?
Or just straight slide show?
There is a scale of .9 in pixels going from square to non-square pixels NTSC.
In plain english, you will see some scaling if you dont edit to the DVD format resolution.

I intend to have a "straight slide show"

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Not sure what you’re editing the slide show together in but, in general, when photographers ask me for a resolution I just tell them to give me the best they can.

The way I look at it, you can always make large pictures smaller but if you need more detail you can’t make small pictures larger without destroying them.

Also, sometimes the extra detail of editing in HD and then mastering to DVD is helpful. Plus it gives you the capability to offer a blu-ray if they want that option instead of a standard-def DVD.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I am curious - what program are you using to create the DVD (as in editing)?

Some applications allow you to import stills and will handle the rescaling for you. If your app does this then you might want to run a test on importing. You might find support groups for your specific app and raise questions there on importing stills.

Chad3eleven

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
Like Aces said.. get them at what you can easily get from the photographers..

If they are too large, read up on using automator (built in to OSX) to batch re-size images.. or use photoshop..
Both are super simple workflows.

What are you editing the slideshow in?

FCP 7 doesnt handle stills over 2300 or so wide very well.. huge render hit.

Even though you are delivering to DVD (720x480) I would still edit in HD..

This will allow you to hand over a nice Hi Res digital file along with the DVDs. (this file can also be uploaded to youtube at HD quality)

I will disagree with mBox suggesting to edit in SD format.. i've always tried to edit at a resolution ABOVE my deliverable... plus in todays digital age, why on earth would you edit in SD unless you have to?

I would edit at 1920x1080.. BUT.. to make the DVD file I would create an anamorphic version.. and using DVD Studio pro.. this allows viewers that watch on a widescreen TV to enjoy the entire screen.. and then those who watch on an older 4x3 screen will get the same image, just letterboxed.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
I am curious - what program are you using to create the DVD (as in editing)?

Some applications allow you to import stills and will handle the rescaling for you. If your app does this then you might want to run a test on importing. You might find support groups for your specific app and raise questions there on importing stills.
I'm using Final Cut Express 4 for editing footage, and iDVD '08 for the final DVD burn

----------

Like Aces said.. get them at what you can easily get from the photographers..

If they are too large, read up on using automator (built in to OSX) to batch re-size images.. or use photoshop..
Both are super simple workflows.

What are you editing the slideshow in?

FCP 7 doesnt handle stills over 2300 or so wide very well.. huge render hit.

Even though you are delivering to DVD (720x480) I would still edit in HD..

This will allow you to hand over a nice Hi Res digital file along with the DVDs. (this file can also be uploaded to youtube at HD quality)

I will disagree with mBox suggesting to edit in SD format.. i've always tried to edit at a resolution ABOVE my deliverable... plus in todays digital age, why on earth would you edit in SD unless you have to?

I would edit at 1920x1080.. BUT.. to make the DVD file I would create an anamorphic version.. and using DVD Studio pro.. this allows viewers that watch on a widescreen TV to enjoy the entire screen.. and then those who watch on an older 4x3 screen will get the same image, just letterboxed.
Final Cut Express 4, though I'm thinking of just dragging and dropping the photos into iDVD and let it do it's thing for the slide show.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I'm using Final Cut Express 4 for editing footage, and iDVD '08 for the final DVD burn

----------

Final Cut Express 4, though I'm thinking of just dragging and dropping the photos into iDVD and let it do it's thing for the slide show.

FCE4 accepts some types of still images. You should read up on what format and pixel size is the best fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.