Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

havok416

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2002
Toronto
I've got a file on my desktop created by IE when I was trying to download something. I cancelled the download, but the file is still there.

When I try to delete it, I get an error tellimg me that "the file is being used by another task right now" and "Try again when the other task is completed"

Only thing is, there is no other task. IE is closed, and I've even rebooted. I still can't delete this thing. I'm running 10.2.2.

Can anyone help?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Start Internet Exploder, go to Download Manager, find the download that pertains to the file, and delete it.

That should remove the file.

dutchmaster

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2001
deleting installer file

I had the same problem in 10.1 after installing a photoshop 7 'beta'. Even after deleting the 'beta' it wouldn't let me trash it. Finally when i upgraded to Jaguar (10.2) it disappeared. thankfully. it was an ugly icon.

havok416

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2002
Toronto
I gave it a shot, and the file is gone from the download window... but not from the desktop! This is too strange. I might have to get some unix friends to delete this thing from the terminal or something...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.