Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smurphy28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2005
Hello:

I've used garageband a lot and decided to move up and purchased the Digidesign M Box 2 with Pro Tools LE. It's up and running fine on my G5 1.6Ghz (w/ one 80GB HD (Boot) and a 250GB HD; 2 gigs of Ram). I loaded the sample recording and the volume coming in to the headphones is very low. I have to turn the knob all the way up to hear the tracks. Why is this? How can I fix it?

Sorry for the stupid question... I just can't find anything on this.

Thanks!

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You may need to buy a heaphone preamp.

I must warn you about using headphones at higher volumes.

This is serious stuff.

I spent a year putting together a 15 song multi-track demo, spending countless hours listening though headphones to record, sequence, rough mix etc. After a while you get ear fatigue and wanting to hear every nuance you
turn up the volume.

Little did I know how dangerous this was.

Shortly after I completed my project, I noticed that my ears would not stop ringing.

I went to the audiologist and had my hearing tested.

I had permanent irreversable nerve damage.

A year later, I was clinically deaf in my right ear with more than
50% loss in the left ear.

Using headphones is necessary to track, but you need to keep it at a volume just enough to monitor what you're doing.

The rest should be done through powered near field monitors and those
should be kept at a reasonable volume.

Headphones are dangerous and the results of over exposure can lead to permanent hearing loss.
Be careful mate.

smurphy28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2005
Thanks for the warning and I agree. I've had that happen before when working on a record for my band a while back. Now I'm in the driver seat and it is good to keep in mind...

Do you think that's what I need - a headphone preamp? Shouldn't the M Box2 have a preamp for headphones? I'm so confused with this thing... Maybe it is too advanced for someone coming off Garageband...

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
Unless there's something wrong with the headphone output on your M-box it may just be that the signal isn't very loud.
Or your headphones need a stronger signal.

If they work fine on a regular headphone jack on other equiplment, then
maybe it is the M-box.

You might call Digidesign support and ask if your situation is normal.

I can barely hear a regular telephone that's plenty loud for most people, so I'm wondering if you may also want to check with an audiologist.

If you've been working with headphones for a while, I would take special care to monitor your hearing.

smurphy28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2005
The audio is perfect when I record and I can hear it well in the headphones but on playback it is soft.

I don't know if that helps more... It has to be my settings I think. Why would it work well when recording and not on playback?

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
I can only guess that maybe the playback output is meant to go to
near field monitors.

Otherwise there may be a volume setting somewhere in the program that I'm not familiar with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.