Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: New Product in 2003

Originally posted by robotrenegade
The new product is going to be a tablet. I hear this straight from a apple insider.

Christ, I hope not. Tablet computers are just underpowered, less portable, more expensive laptops. They have their uses in certain fields and niche markets. They've existed for years in the medical industry. I think thats the sort of thing where the MS tablet PC concept is going to be marketed, rather than the home user. Since apple targets home users, I really don't see much of a market for them. Tablet PC's are meant for markets that aren't based on huge profit margins, as enterprise users would want cheap machines first and foremost. Thats not relaly apple's thing.

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
I personally would love such a device, as long as it had a keyboard, Id love to be able to type standing up. But, I doubt a product such as this will sell well. I think Apple should split the iBook line into 2 models, an ultra portable 8"-10" that will stay G3 for much longer, and a 13" iBook, a sort of inbetween size, and if they ever move the iBook to a G4, this one should be it, keep the other one a G3 for power consumption.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Am I the only one who's actually used tablet computers?

They're awful.

Any moron can type faster than they can write, and writing on these things is a pain. Couple that with the fact that pen/screen based input kills screens quickly, and they are really a no go product.

A good friend of mine helped HP do their tablet research...he's turned his tablet into a multifunction remote, because it made such a bad computer.

I suppose they have applications (warehouses, medical rounds, etc.), but in these applications they've been used for years...you've prolly used one when you signed for a UPS package.

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Stress Tablet...

Yea, but what about a tablet with a thousand songs on it... that you can also write on... ;)

:cool:

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Re: Stress Tablet...

Originally posted by BenderBot1138
Yea, but what about a tablet with a thousand songs on it... that you can also write on... ;)

:cool:

No thanks......
I just need only the mp3 player part. :)

ChicagoMac

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2002
Battle Creek, MI
I don't know much about the technical aspects, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to me either. I agree with Strider42. It seems that there wouldn't be much of a market for the ITablet. Most of my writing would be while sitting down so I'd rather type. If I need to write while standing, I'd rather have something light like a regular paper notepad that doesn't weigh five + pounds. I just can't see it taking off. Apple, save the money you would have spent on R&D and lower your prices.

Or how about this, a remote microphone that could utilize ViaVoice so you could walk around and dictate to your Mac from anywhere in the facility. You heard it here first!;)

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by Nipsy
Am I the only one who's actually used tablet computers?

They're awful.

Any moron can type faster than they can write, and writing on these things is a pain. Couple that with the fact that pen/screen based input kills screens quickly, and they are really a no go product.

A good friend of mine helped HP do their tablet research...he's turned his tablet into a multifunction remote, because it made such a bad computer.

I suppose they have applications (warehouses, medical rounds, etc.), but in these applications they've been used for years...you've prolly used one when you signed for a UPS package.

There are a few points to make here.

1. The current versions seem to be "awful". It's a first version. Did you expect something perfect involving MS on the first release? :)

2. Not that I have a reason to doubt you but it does seem odd for someone who might have been a significant part of HP's tablet research to essentially been unable to make use of their own work on such a level. More details might make that statement make more sense.

3. To add somewhat to the comment "because it made such a bad computer" I should comment on one reason I think the tablet pc's are getting bad reviews in many cases are because they are expecting better portable computing. You can thank MS for that somewhat since they designed the OS but people have to keep in mind this is not just a portable desktop system but a new computing device. Palm's have done just fine for pda's and they don't look like Mac or Windows desktops nor run their software.

4. The niche areas you mention are significant and will grow. MS would like to capitalize on that market. Look at all of the Windows systems that set in niche markets like hospitals and such. I've seen many of the interfaces and there's nothing convenient or intuitive to them but companies still buy them for big bucks. People only see the software running on them and rarely if ever touch the OS. What I'm getting at is that the tablet pc market can be successful even without the average hobbyist/consumer purchase. This is where Apple might change this. They have a better understanding of the consumer side of things.

I'm thinking Apple could intro a tablet system that on the hardware side could be lighter than 4lbs and very thin. Throw in support from the ebook side of things, firewire for doing video editing(keyboard not a huge deal here), some wireless networking, 4hrs or more of battery life and they'll have a chance. Of course the price can't be more than $1500.

Just another tablet system won't cut it. Apple would need to have some killer niche markets that they already have their eye on and not just a killer app or two. Educational field, home video editing, presentation products, etc. To get such a beast to exchange email and browse the web would be ludicrous. Some folks would be happy just with that form factor for pda like functions although the high cost would negate that.

Anyways just my take. I think it has a chance but it would definitely take some work to sell it to folks.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by ChicagoMac
I don't know much about the technical aspects, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to me either. I agree with Strider42. It seems that there wouldn't be much of a market for the ITablet. Most of my writing would be while sitting down so I'd rather type. If I need to write while standing, I'd rather have something light like a regular paper notepad that doesn't weigh five + pounds. I just can't see it taking off. Apple, save the money you would have spent on R&D and lower your prices.

Or how about this, a remote microphone that could utilize ViaVoice so you could walk around and dictate to your Mac from anywhere in the facility. You heard it here first!;)

I think we'll see tablet systems from Apple long before this viavoice thing you describe. Who wants to worry about whether they're within range of their wireless access point with the current technology? Maybe down the road but not for awhile.

As for your strategy on Apple saving money and lowering prices I would love to see prices lowered but lets be realistic, it won't happen...at least relative to the PC's. If Apple can do the tablet right, this becomes a whole new market that they can use to get added marketshare, revenue, profits, and potential switchers. Remember the digital hub?

Keep in mind that the iMac was successful even when people felt that 15" monitors were getting too small and many felt that having an all in one system was a handicap rather than a benefit. Apple's all in one systems did ok in some education markets but otherwise no one wanted them. Along came the iMac. Something similar can happen on the tablet side of things. It just may not be something that most current Mac professionals would use...at least initially. Lots of Mac professionals ended up buying iMacs for the home and recommending them to family members.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
No Tablets...

I'll ask my standard question here:

What can I do with a Tablet that I cannot do with my laptop?

If the answer is "nothing" then why do I need a Tablet? Why would I want to pay "more" for a tablet? I'll await a response from a proponent before going into this too deeply.

Now, if the tablet were no bigger than a Newton 2100, we may have something of use; but, the OS would need to be optimized for Ultra-portable computing, which currently it isn't.

A tablet would merely seek to displace the current laptop market. A PDA would add an entire segment of sales possibilities to Apple's arsenal.

I believe that most of the "tablet" desires could be met with a well-designed Apple PDA.

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
The last thing Apple wants to do is go down a route that is based almost purely on design. The practical qualities of a tablet computer are non-existant except for ones that a laptop, especially an iBook, could easly duplicate.

The G4 Cube was a work of art, it looked great, but it wasn't a stepp in the techno direction that the public are looking to Apple for right now, so it flopped, if Apple were to release an iTablet, the same thing would almost surely happen.

If you ask me Apple needs to do 3 things:

1. Lower the price of everything! Almost all of their products are ridiculously over priced.

2. Work on over seas promotion, Switch and Stores in Europe etc. like companys like Nintendo, they are treating Europe and Australia like ****.

3. Develop much more on their open source. You can't believe how important it will be. Almost 7/8ths of the worlds pop. is in the 3rd world countrys, getting them to goo Open Source Apple style would rocket them about a million times above Microsoft.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: New Product in 2003

Originally posted by robotrenegade
The new product is going to be a tablet. I hear this straight from a apple insider.

Now are you talking MWSF 03 or any time in 03?

I can't see how this is such a great idea, they're not all that practical - I'm thinking this is nothing more than speculation or spam.

D

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by Cappy

There are a few points to make here.

1. The current versions seem to be "awful". It's a first version. Did you expect something perfect involving MS on the first release? :)

These are not first versions. Tablet PCs have existed and been used in the niche markets that require them for years. This new phenom is about offering a specialized business tool to consumers. I can buy a Mack truck, but I'd be happier with a pickup..

2. Not that I have a reason to doubt you but it does seem odd for someone who might have been a significant part of HP's tablet research to essentially been unable to make use of their own work on such a level. More details might make that statement make more sense.

He was retasked during a departmental merger, and forced to work on TabletPC research. Basically, his take on it was that it serves no good purpose for the consumer, has few purposes in business use, but makes a hell of a remote. The usability was too poor for its intended comupting tasks.

He was able to make it do everything it was supposed to do, but there was no compelling reason to use. For computer projects, he preferred the OmniBook, for Pocket stuff the Journada, and his take was that both were better to use than the tablet PC.

He saw the Tablet as a redundant form which did nothing well, and therfore chose not to use it as a tablet PC, and made it into a remote.

3. To add somewhat to the comment "because it made such a bad computer" I should comment on one reason I think the tablet pc's are getting bad reviews in many cases are because they are expecting better portable computing. You can thank MS for that somewhat since they designed the OS but people have to keep in mind this is not just a portable desktop system but a new computing device. Palm's have done just fine for pda's and they don't look like Mac or Windows desktops nor run their software.

But, would you want a Palm feature set in a 2k machine the size and weight of a laptop?

The machines that I've played around with function like a really good PocketPC, at 5 times the weight, cost, and size. Come to think of it, there is very little these things do that a PocketPC can't do better...

4. The niche areas you mention are significant and will grow. MS would like to capitalize on that market. Look at all of the Windows systems that set in niche markets like hospitals and such. I've seen many of the interfaces and there's nothing convenient or intuitive to them but companies still buy them for big bucks. People only see the software running on them and rarely if ever touch the OS. What I'm getting at is that the tablet pc market can be successful even without the average hobbyist/consumer purchase. This is where Apple might change this. They have a better understanding of the consumer side of things.

These areas have had these machines for years. Adoptions rates may spike, but all the worldwide hoopla is undeserved. XP Tablet won't revolutionize computing, because tablet computing is something you do when you can't get away with a PDA, but can't lug a laptop...small market.

I don't think Apple is likely to convert the consumer to a device which does not have an elegant usage model, which I don't believe the tablet form factor will ever have.

The one glaring exception I see is artists. I could see Apple making a Wacom/LCD like product for sketching, so you could set it up on the go. I would not expect a full computing experience from this machine, rather it would be a really well executed artists workpad, and little else.

I'm thinking Apple could intro a tablet system that on the hardware side could be lighter than 4lbs and very thin. Throw in support from the ebook side of things, firewire for doing video editing(keyboard not a huge deal here), some wireless networking, 4hrs or more of battery life and they'll have a chance. Of course the price can't be more than $1500.

Could any of this things be done better on a tablet than on an iBook?

Just another tablet system won't cut it. Apple would need to have some killer niche markets that they already have their eye on and not just a killer app or two. Educational field, home video editing, presentation products, etc. To get such a beast to exchange email and browse the web would be ludicrous. Some folks would be happy just with that form factor for pda like functions although the high cost would negate that.

I, for one, hope Apple treads slowly into diversifying (I remember the early 90's product matrix). I think they are smart to work their way into established markets (Xserve, <$1000 notbooks), as well as re writing the book on successful products (iPod).
Anyways just my take. I think it has a chance but it would definitely take some work to sell it to folks. [/B][/QUOTE]

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
I agree with all the negatives on a future Tablet Mac, but I believe, Apple out of all the other companies, can make such a product work. They went into the MP3 player market, where there was already a market, and took it by storm, I believe....

ChicagoMac

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2002
Battle Creek, MI
Originally posted by Cappy

I think we'll see tablet systems from Apple long before this viavoice thing you describe. Who wants to worry about whether they're within range of their wireless access point with the current technology? Maybe down the road but not for awhile.

I thought about this today and it should already be possible. Depending on the size and structure of your facility, a wireless microphone, lapel or over the ear, could be connected to the microphone input on your Mac (a little "rigging" would be necessary since Mac has a preamp inside the mic input). Some adjustments on the unit itself would also be necessary since it would potentially put out a very hot signal. My CountryMan Iso Max (http://www.countryman.com) with a Sennheiser transmiter/receiver would work great for such an application. I may try it and let you know how it works.

Computer_Phreak

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2002
im not sure what brand it is (HP?) but its a tablet pc with a swivel screel that swivels 360 degrees and then sits down on top of the keyboard...

I think that idea has some potential but a tablet pc without a keyboard for the mainstream is not going to be a reality in the foreseeable future.

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
itablet

If Apple is truly after the other 96%, it's not going to get it with a tablet computer. Apple knows this, I know this, more than half the board knows this. There won't be any iTablet unless the PC Tablets take off in some unpredictable fashion.

There, I've said my peace. First post, woohoo!!

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
Apple develops everything...

Apple develops everything... that way if something hits they aren't way behind. I bet they already have a fully functional scaled down version of MacOSX running on an Intel X-Scale processor... call it "project Mark-little". They probably have a prototype Tablet at this point... maybe they even have a bluetooth/Wi-Fi enabled one!

My .02 ;)

Natron

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2002
I agree arnette, if Apple is going after the other 95% of the market, they probably aren't going to do it with a tablet PC, or anything in such a niche market. While I believe Apple could make this work really well, I just can't see it happening.

It seems to me that in recent years Apple seems to be going after what they know will be successful. All their current hardware lines are doing pretty well, and I don't see them entering another market unless they know they will succeed. As much as I liked the G4 Cube, you probably won't see anything like that again, or anything in a niche market.

Apple is not going to break into the other 95% by computers alone. This has been proven by the success of the iPod. Since the iPod has become Windows compatible, it's popularity has increased, and I think people are starting to see Apple as more than just computers, at least I hope they are seeing that. I don't think you'll see Apple starting another computer line.

New digital devices that are Mac and Windows compatible will provide more success for Apple (like the iPod) as hard core Windows users won't be able to help but gawk over an Apple device. I think with this kind of penetration into the market, you could see more switchers. Someone may buy an iPod, and when they go to buy their next computer, they might just consider Apple.

Apples theology recently has seemed to go from Mac versus PC thinking, to Macs working with PC's. OS 10.2 working with Windows networks, the Switch campaign, the iPod going Windows compatible, all seem to point at Apple wanting to work with Windows instead of against it.

Let's face it, Windows and the PC world are very much here to stay, and it could be years before you see real inroads into market share, but if Apple continues to innovate in this area, where they have already shown success, then we could find Apple rising.

-Natron

PS - I think we'll see an Apple PDA/Newton revival. It won't be a "traditional" PDA, but with Inkwell, Apple must be up to something.

Also, I would really like to see some kind of entertainment hub device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.