Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Just got this great tip from OSX FAQ.
I know there have been many threads in the past where people asked where this font can be got from, well, surprise! It's already on your system....just well hidden.
Here's how to get it, navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices, now right click (or Ctrl + click) on "Setup Assistant" and click "Show package contents".
Now in the new window just opened navigate to /Contents/Resources, in there you will see a file called "Setup Assistant.dfont", copy this to your /Library/Fonts folder and rename to Apple Garamond, and boom, that's it! You now have the font....crafty old apple, could they have hidden it any better ;)

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.

Attachments

• m.jpg
    m.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 3,656

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
dumb question perhaps... move it to system/library/fonts? or user/library/fonts....

guess i need root access if it's the former...

word.
Neither, I put it in Library/Fonts and it worked perfectly.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by edesignuk

Neither, I put it in Library/Fonts and it worked perfectly.

ha. didn't realize that third spot existed. figured you just left out "system"... thanks!

3 spots for fonts... fair enough.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
It looks like Apple is moving away from Apple Garamond, to a Myriad-like font.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by dricci
It looks like Apple is moving away from Apple Garamond, to a Myriad-like font.
Yeah I know, it's a shame; I still like the old one...still, I suppose it's time to move on :)

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Garamond...

I dont' use it much, but know a few that would be happy to hear this... great find edesignuk!

:cool:

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
You can use the font in whatever way you like!

The courts have ruled that fonts cannot be copyrighted or protected. They are, after all, simply letters. That was one court decision that was worth applauding.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: You can use the font in whatever way you like!

Originally posted by cubist
The courts have ruled that fonts cannot be copyrighted or protected. They are, after all, simply letters. That was one court decision that was worth applauding.

I've not heard about this...... what Courts and where does this affect??

As far as I'm aware you still have to buy a font if you wish to commercially use it.... just like software... (unless it's installed in either the OS or the software) otherwise it is theft! although it is very difficult to apply this in practice, hence why it never is..... but there you go!!

But if people stop buying fonts, then designers and typographers will have no incentive to spend countless hours designing and developing Typefaces..... which would be a REAL shame..... it's very much a lost skill and science, and the last thing the word needs is anymore crappy ill-formed freeware and shareware fonts!!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: Re: You can use the font in whatever way you like!

Originally posted by iGAV
(unless it's installed in either the OS or the software)
So would this not be legal then, seeing as it is installed with the OS which you (should) have paid for? ;)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: You can use the font in whatever way you like!

Originally posted by cubist

If it's a "common" font (like the typical font set you get when buy an OS or Office sweet or something) than I agree. But if it's a custom made then I think that is a bad decission. That's like saying you can't protect your companies name, after all it's just a collection of letters. If colors can be trademarked then I don't see why fonts can't.

Lethal

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Re: Re: You can use the font in whatever way you like!

Originally posted by edesignuk

So would this not be legal then, seeing as it is installed with the OS which you (should) have paid for? ;)

I don't see why not...... it is installed on the Mac after all.... but that said is it installed in the OS for consumer use or is it installed as a System resource..... either way I don't ever remember or know of anybody that has ever been sued for using a stolen or illegally obtained typeface, the only real problem is that it's synonymous with Apple..... so anything that the font is applied to will look like it's only been applied by on over-zealous Apple fan...... :p :p :p

On Apple's site there is a long list of property rights etc etc and how you may use logo's etc etc.... there maybe information on there!!

Either way, I'm not a particular fan... but then again I don't particularly like serif typefaces!! :)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: And...

Originally posted by macphisto
It also has that cool set up music track. Very nice. :)

I presume you mean the 'Sofa Rockers' by Sofa Surfers, it's track number 2 on disc 2 on the album 'Kruder And Dorfmeister' The K&D Sessions.!!

Wicked tune!!

macphisto

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2002
At home
Re: Re: And...

Originally posted by iGAV

I presume you mean the 'Sofa Rockers' by Sofa Surfers, it's track number 2 on disc 2 on the album 'Kruder And Dorfmeister' The K&D Sessions.!!

Wicked tune!!

Nice! Thanks for the info. It is a wicked tune. How are there other songs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.