Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRyls

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2014
been lurking around the forum for the longest time and today I finally got me hands on the latest base model 11inch. off to a flying start after hitting that power button and im so loving it already :D

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Honestly, for real life use the display difference is only slightly noticeable to me and only at certain times. Sometimes I'll think "this looked better on the retina display", but that doesn't mean it hinders my usage in any way.

I needed more portability and better battery life. I actually did notice a weight difference in my backpack and the open MBA is just easier to carry around one handed. I'm on the go A LOT though, so I know not every needs the ultra portability that I value.

Do you think the weight difference is significant enough to go MBA for someone who moves from office to office on different floors (taking the stairs) at work, but who doesn't carry it long distances (i.e.: around campus)?

miggggg

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2014
Grabbed a 13 inch with the 8gb base model. Finally upgrading from the unibody white polycarbonate model from 09 lol. Loving it so far had it for a week now, new on the forums as well.

Papa Shank

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2005
UPS are a joke. I've just spent the whole day in my flat and they haven't delivered despite my mba apparently being 'in transit' since 9am this morning :/

andyjam

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Congratulations!!

I got mine today and unfortunately no free upgrade.

Out of curiosity: When you check the specs online, for example on this website:
http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

Does it say 8GB there or 4GB?

Sorry for not responding sooner! Everything I looked at using the serial number said 4GB, so it was a nice surprise when I randomly checked in About This Mac after a few hours of playing around/getting it set up.

voyager1

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2014
Air cpu?

recently bought an i mac 27 512gb ssd through the education store and loving the transition into the world of apple. this was largely triggered by phenomena such as the windows cryptolocker locking pc's down. i was sick of it and the wider security flaws of windows. anyway im a little in the money these days and as the imac will be my main workhorse i still need a little pony for the road. having gone into the store i was attracted by the retina displays but have since u turned placing weight and battery life above all. my simple question is if i order the 512 gb ssd//1.4 ghz , MBA, version are there limitations between a higher capacity storage working with a lower powered cpu as described above?for eg would an i7 utilise the speed of a 512ssd more efficiently than an i5? i will be getting 8gb ram and main uses office 365,videos,web.music,large no of tabs open for research etc at once. many thanks.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Just picked up a 13" base MBA from Best Buy yesterday using their student coupon. I'm coming from a late 2013 13" rMBP and I'm glad I made the switch. Wish I had gone with the MBA in the first place.

I'm about to do the same thing. I love the screen on my retina, but hate the front edge not being tapered. Only worry about screen quality lacking but I think I'll manage. You happy so far?

EDIT:Finally did it! Picked up a 13 inch base model from BB tonight for 799 after 100 off on sale, and 100 student discount. They wouldn't allow me to stack the mover's on top of the student discount. They've apparently cracked down on that!

Last edited:

Izaiah

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
FL
I'm about to do the same thing. I love the screen on my retina, but hate the front edge not being tapered. Only worry about screen quality lacking but I think I'll manage. You happy so far?

EDIT:Finally did it! Picked up a 13 inch base model from BB tonight for 799 after 100 off on sale, and 100 student discount. They wouldn't allow me to stack the mover's on top of the student discount. They've apparently cracked down on that!

I'm very happy with my Air!

How do you like it?

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Call me stupid but I've just bought an original, January 2008 MacBook Air in mint condition w/ a brand spanking new battery. I was on a majorly small budget and coming from a 15" PowerBook G4, needed something really portable that has a solid keyboard and can do the simple things in Office, Photoshop and Dreamweaver. My PowerBook to be honest packs enough power itself for what I do on my notebooks, but it's just too heavy to lug around every day, hence the purchase of the Air. I considered the late 2010 11" but deemed it just too small for me.

geek1981

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
Refurb Macbook Air with i7 CPU

i'm in the UK and ordered a refurb 2013 MBA 11 inch/i5/4GB/128GB for £599 and got the delivery yesterday. After setting it up i noticed they have sent me the one with i7 CPU (4650U) with the following spec.

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 1.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBA61.0099.B12

anybody know if this is 2013 model or 2012? should i be worried or i just got a better spec free? :)

Jonx

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2004
i'm in the UK and ordered a refurb 2013 MBA 11 inch/i5/4GB/128GB for £599 and got the delivery yesterday. After setting it up i noticed they have sent me the one with i7 CPU (4650U) with the following spec.

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 1.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBA61.0099.B12

anybody know if this is 2013 model or 2012? should i be worried or i just got a better spec free? :)

It's 2013 model, you can find more info at everymac.com

Congrats, enjoy your new mac. ;)

cityhopper

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2013
Apple Certified Refurb

2013 MBA 11 inch/i7/8GB/256GB $1099

I purchased a refurbished Mac mini last year and decided I was comfortable converting to Mac/OS X from the PC/Microsoft environment. I wish Retina was available but I'm satisfied with my purchase; perhaps, I'll catch it during a 2016/2017 upgrade.

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Work just bought me a 11" MBA (cheapest model there is). I honestly think the purchasing agent had no idea what they were buying and just saw it was cheaper. I also got a Thunderbolt Display so that helps.

I personally own a 15" rMPB so this is quite an adjustment, I honestly don't know if I can adjust. Worst case I will continue to just use my rMPB for work.

Now on the hunt for a bag. I normally shop Waterfield but nothing screams out to me that is made for the 11". May just get one of their sleeves.

slight32

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2014
I can't get along with Windows any more, 8.1 is awful, 10 looks to be less awful, but still awful. If someone at Microsoft has a vision he or she is keeping it to themselves.

So, for the first time in my life, I have an Apple product. a 13 Air. It's nice. I like it. What's that over there.....an iMac you say?

Tony78228

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2013
Texas
I finally bought the macbook air today! 256GB 13inch. I bought it at amazon, I have prime so I ordered it next day shipping for only 8 dollars more. I'll be looking outside all day tomorrow..lol I've always used windows, I'm looking forward to learning. anyone know of a good case?

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Finally pulled the trigger on a MBA 13"
Going to pick up this evening, am excited!

This is my very first Mac purchase, have not had a laptop for a few years. Wanted the retina 12" but I think this will serve me well for basic needs. And maybe upgrade still next year who knows.

evoga

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
My wife on Friday ordered a IPad Air 2 and a MBA 13" maxed out at 512GB and i7. Giving me the MBA while she has the iPad.

My first Apple computer which will go with my iPhone 6+ 128GB (also purchased by my wife). Looking forward to testing it out.

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
I've got a new macbook air on order. Configured with 8gb of ram so it is being shipped from china. The order status page says to expect delivery tomorrow, but the UPS page says it will be delivered on Monday, according to UPS it's last update was leaving Kazakhstan, having already been to South Korea. I'm getting inpatient now.

macnewbieee

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
Just checking in..

My MBA 11" is on the way, maybe arrive on Tuesday. I was an owner of MBPr 2012 15" with 2,6Ghz 8gb ram and 512gb ssd and my new MBA has only 8gb ram, 256gb ssd and i7. I think i will be happy with my decission. I play only dota2 and i think this new air can handle just fine. I need portability though.

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Just got my replacement MacBook Air in the Black Friday sale. I am not going to wait any longer for an update.

Restored my user from Time Machine backup, enabled FileVault, and started downloading Yosemite.

It feels nice to get my laptop back.

Feels faster too, the CPUs have improved since 2011 ;)

The SSD is a 128GB SanDisk, which is fine by me. The display code starts with LTH, not LG I suppose that's good?

The speed and the display were the two main things I didn't like much in my previous model, subjectively I feel they have both improved. I am quite happy.

My old laptop didn't have key backlighting IIRC looks like they added it.

Well, see you around! I'll have questions :cool:

coolmike67

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2014
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/apple-apple-macbook-air-13-3-intel-core-i5-1-4ghz-128gb-silver-english-z0nz4ll-a/10297629.aspx?path=533046e556b835cc2bc2c773172e7115en02

Just bought this Air. I had a 200 bestbuy gift card that I won, so the total came out to be around $930. :D
I initially wanted to wait for the 2015 macbook air, but this deal was too sweet to pass up, considering that I had a gift card too! Can't wait to receive it :D :D :D
This is going to be my first time using OS X...So, any tips for a life time windows user?

davidthornton

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
Apple Certified Refurb

Parents ordered MBA 11" i5/128Gb/8Gb from Apple UK certified refurb store after waiting 2 months for 8Gb models to resurface on the site. Machine arrived and they've been given a i7 instead of an i5. The box says i5. The machine says i7. The serial number on the box and in the machine are identical. So £250 saving over RRP of same model from Apple, new (they paid £699).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.