Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blind Buzzard

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Where?
Any good advice on how to clean an iBook's mouse pad? I love the white color but damn it gets filthy-nasty!

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
iKlear and a microfiber cloth can work wonders on the mouse pad. (that's what I use)

Other people have said that the Mr Clean Magic Eraser works as well. (but be careful that stuff might be a little harsh)

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
I use stuff like iKlear called Dr. Clean. Like iKlear, it is Ammonia and Alcohol free. Use it with the included microfiber cloth every few days when your computer is room temperature (ie after being in sleep for a while or turned off) and your iBook will stay clean like mine. You can pick it up at CompUSA or Staples for around ~$15. 1 Bottle should last a year easily. Also wash the microfiber cloth with water every few weeks and let it air dry. I basically start with the out side case both top and bottom, then open it up and clean the screen then the keyboard/trackpad.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Windex and old underwear (no lint) for me. Works a treat, my iBook doesn't look a day over two, and it's nearly two and a half. :eek:

Spray the Windex onto the underwear rather than directly onto the iBook. :)

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
mad jew said:
Windex and old underwear (no lint) for me. Works a treat, my iBook doesn't look a day over two, and it's nearly two and a half. :eek:

Windex has ammonia and is bad.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
mad jew said:

I could go so many bad places with this. :eek: :D

Apple

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I really like MR Clean Magic Eraser. Best stuff Ive ever bought for cleaning a laptop. It gets the marks right off. Be careful around the keys though as it could take the letters straight off

Blind Buzzard

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Where?
I'm not sure about underwear! ;)

I do know that white, coffee filter, throw aways, don't leave behind any lint either. They come in quit handy on monitor screens.

I'll have to look into the iKlear, it comes up realtively cheap on Amazon.

Thanks for the idea's!

cvalda

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2005
chicago, il
I used iKlear and it works great on everything BUT my screen. Whenever I clean my screen, I get these really nasty HUGE marks all over it from it drying out. No matter how quickly I clean it, I always have these smudges on the screen and it's so noticeable when the screen is dark :( Boo for iKlear...

Blind Buzzard

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Where?
cvalda said:
I used iKlear and it works great on everything BUT my screen. Whenever I clean my screen, I get these really nasty HUGE marks all over it from it drying out. No matter how quickly I clean it, I always have these smudges on the screen and it's so noticeable when the screen is dark :( Boo for iKlear...

It was my understanding that you should only be using "light water" and a smooth cloth on your screen!!!

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
cvalda said:
Blind Buzzard said:
It was my understanding that you should only be using "light water" and a smooth cloth on your screen!!!
Whenever I go into an Apple store I see the Geniuses using iKlear. I use it on my iBook's screen (and other parts) w/out the issues cvalda mentioned. :confused: Actually... I find that the iKlear chamois + spray works MUCH better than the travel wipes (but those are meant to be as sort of an 'emergency' situation). Did you use the disposable wipes? Or the nice soft, blue, chamois?

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
devilot said:
Whenever I go into an Apple store I see the Geniuses using iKlear. I use it on my iBook's screen (and other parts) w/out the issues cvalda mentioned. :confused: Actually... I find that the iKlear chamois + spray works MUCH better than the travel wipes (but those are meant to be as sort of an 'emergency' situation). Did you use the disposable wipes? Or the nice soft, blue, chamois?

Devitlot is right.If you use iKlear on the screen you need to polish the iKlear with either the chamois or a Microfiber towel until all the smudge marks are gone.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
cvalda said:

Make sure that the screen has been off for a while and cooled off. Never clean your computer right after using it. Wait until it cools down after sleeping for a while or shutdown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.