Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFIS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
My Macbook Air 2013 (128 GB) are running low on SSD space, and it's all Dropbox's fault. I have everything on my Dropbox, pictures and videos from my iPhone, pictures and videos from when I was a little kid and so on.
I've already removed a ton of folders via selective sync, but now even my camera uploads are starting to fill up. And I really want to have to have it all easily available!

So I need to get more storage space on my Air. I understand it's basically impossible to change the SSD on a 2013/14 model, so I guess I'm down to a few options.

1: Transcend Jetdrive Lite: I'm really afraid that the SD card won't last that long, and that I need to by a new one every single year. Also, the unmount/remount issue is bugging me.

2: NAS: I really don't want to spend thousands of bucks on this. Also, here in Norway, the normal, small versions of Synology are gone, and you can only buy the big, corporate kind. The only "NAS" that are widely available are WD My Cloud, but I understand that I can't sync my Dropbox account with it? If I could, that would probably be the best way to go.

3: iCloud Drive: I have no idea how this will work, but I'm really hoping it doesn't work like Dropbox. Why is there not an option to let a cloud service on a mac work the same way as on your iPhone? You need internet to access it, and dropbox doesn't download everything to your mac. But I guess iCloud Drive will work in the same way?

Are there any other ways? To buy an external drive with USB is not an option.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
1: Transcend Jetdrive Lite: I'm really afraid that the SD card won't last that long, and that I need to by a new one every single year. Also, the unmount/remount issue is bugging me.

My solution was a cheap $5 SD card adapter from Hong Kong - fits flush on MBA and I put in a SanDisk 64GB card. - They now have a 128GB card.

And I use Jettison for the unmount/mount: http://www.stclairsoft.com/Jettison/

Not sure why you think SD card will only last a year? I think probably good for 100,000 read/write cycles. And I believe SanDisk has a lifetime warranty. So if card fails just replace and reload from a Time Machine backup.

SgtPepper23

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Los Angeles, California
For the DropBox issue, try selective syncing, meaning that only the things that you select are saved to your local disk. They'll still be in your DropBox, just not in your local disk.

AFIS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
I've already been doing selective syncing, but Camera Uploads, and another picture folder (I really want to keep both locally, or at least easily available) are taking up over 50 GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.