Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 29, 2001
WHY DOES EVERYONE DIS APPLE
FOR A SMALLISH COMPANY THE ARE (WELL NOT SMALL) DOING GREAT. WINTEL VS MAC
MAC WINS HANDS DOWN THEY HAVE SO MANY COMPANYS MAKING PCs
IT EASY FOR WINDOWS TO GET THE UPPER HAND ON THIS ONE
APPLE HAS 12 DIFFERENT COMPUTERS FOR SALE
AND THE PC MARKET HAS PROBABLY 150 OR MORE
WHEN YOU LOOK AT IT THAT WAY
WERE KICKING ASS

THOUGH 10% OF 15% OF THE MARKET WOULD BE NICE

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
They just make Mac Jokes cuz they're insecure.. We know were better, and mostly try not to rub it in their faces.. Although, the occasional PeeCee joke is fun ;)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Apple vs. The World

while u guys (or gals....since the poll we participated in earlier this week!) do have good points.....it's still the fact that Apple is up against the entire PC world....not just single companies...

for being the underdog, I think they've been holding up pretty well....especially in these tough times....

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Does BMW or Mercedes have 5% of the auto market? No. Apple is a luxury computer maker. It's a computer for someone who doesn't need the safety net of what everyone else is using. And Apple's pricing policy pretty much guarantees that it will remain a niche player.

You may say you want Apple to be a 15% or 20%, but believe me, you don't. They would have to lose billions to get that kind of market share and they'd have to put their quality at risk too. It's better for the company and it's loyal customers if the market share remains low and the sales margins high.

tw9876z

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2002
most users

most users just us the internet to chat or check email. So why should they buy a mac? a mac is more of a computer for people who know how to use the computer and use it. Another reason many go to pc is because they have more games, a gamer wants what has more games, so they go to that. But people on the internet should get the old imac for speed, checking email and chatting really doesnt need a 2ghz chip, but people buy them for some reason, mainly to be on top. Many people dont like mac for "some reason" they dont know why, mainly cause they think it isnt ocmpatable. The mac user doesnt use his computer to im but makes movies and dvds on it. A pc programmer also claims there is no programability, which isnt true, the applescript for example, and you can still make webpages on mac just as easy. The hacker uses pc, the person who has a computer to type reports has a pc, the person who chats and emails only has a pc, a gamer has a pc, so mainly the average person has a pc, the pc still has some major media making shtuff and a bit more programability,which adds to its tremendous virus problem. So pc is more of the average mans computer, not an editor of video or music. Why did xp sell so well? becuase people dont want to be out of date mainly that they dont want to be left behind in the dust, and most people look at the mac and see that as their future for thier computing, but their really is no need for xp i think for the average man, but the average man wants xp and will get it. So, alot of the 95 percent is the average user, the people left who arent are programers, hackers, and people whom make stuff with it. But the professional people use macs, mainly music and movies and education, but still, the windows is good for the average user, the mac is for someone who wants to do more. I like my mac more than my pc, and i will hold on to mac as long as possible, but if apple goes, i think ill be on my pc. The mac cannot and most likely will not attract the average user, but apple and microsoft have to stop snobing everyone, especially gates, he thinks he is god or something. But most people use pc cause they are using it for basic reasons, the mac can do that too, but why get a mac when you could get a cheaper comp. for alot less for the same thing? there is no reason, so in that case i would say get what you likethe most or get the cheapest one you like the most. as for the hacker, gamer, programer, go with windows. For multimedia and stuff most pc users use comes from mac, and i think windows will get much more stricter about this. also mainly dont like switching and have bad experiences with imacs that have been worn out. Ms will probably win, but mac will still be around for a long time. unless something hugely goes wrong for ms. ill shut up now

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
increasing market share

we all know that apple cannot ever reach 95 percent market share anytime soon if ever

but let's hope apple increases share slowly as to keep the outstanding quality high as usual

when apple had a huge market share in the 70s and early 80s, did the quality suffer?

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
UK
I'm a wintel user at the moment but I seriously thinking of getting an apple.

PC's are okay, people knock them, but thanks to BillG and Intel the cost of computing has decreased and most people in developed countries can afford a useable computer. Really it's quite amazing that PC's work as well as they do when you consider the variety of hardware they support.

Apple on the other hand, controls the hardware which means you get complete package. The hardware and the OS are tailored for each other giving (for me) a unique computing experience.

Macs are more expensive, but this is beacuse Macs are crafted, ( almost works of art) and don't have the volume of sales like PC's.

As a PC user I think Apple is moving in the right direction. The digital hub makes sense to me. Most of my family are technophobes and don't like using PC's but are quite happy using friends Mac. I really think Apple will gain many PC converts within the next 2 years, and I think they deserve to.

As soon as I get the money I'll be a Mac user.

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
you will be happy when you get your mac

a new user is usually happy but a pc user who converts to macs never turns back once they see how easy and trouble free the mac is in comparison to the pc

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
UK
I can't wait to get a mac. Mac users talk with affection about their computers and Apple. In my experience this kind of loyalty is only earned when the product is superior. No amount of spin, PR etc can make people say these things about their Macs.

Mac users say these great things, because Macs work .

I really need a Mac!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Mac vs wintel

I have found that both have their strong and weak points. It all depends on what you want to do and how much money you have to spend. I mentioned to a few people at work, who had not seen me in a while, that I work on both Mac's and the pc's. I am glad that we have over 5 times the pc's in Mac systems (they are much, much easier to maintain/repair). I was asked which I use at home, and I simply told them that the pc system (I built is since I don't want to give any $$ to hp/dell/or any others) is for games ONLY. Any real work is done on one of my Mac systems. They have the cd-rw drive, scanner and everything else set up for them. I don't bother with the other stuff on the pc.

While the pc world might have more hardware options, at the moment, there are also the problems with the OS running with that hardware. You have to make sure the drivers work with what you want to run. You don't have that problem with Apple computers. Apple lists what OS's will run on the computer model (takes a minor amount of searching). If Apple says it will work, you are guaranteed that it will (a 7100 will run up to OS 9). How many pc's can run windows 2000 that are that old?? Not many, if any, and forget about XP (eXtra Profit).

Another Apple advantage is how long the computers are usable for. For example, I know a person with a 7100/66 that is still being used, and he is looking to upgrade it enough to use it for at least another year or two. Most pc systems of that age are in the trash heap. Apple also sets high standards for their hardware, not accepting anything that is not up to par.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Yeah, I have a line on more memory for him. It will cost about $50 for a pair of 32MB chips (gives him 64MB more), and have found bigger hard drive options. I would like to put him to 136MB (adding 128 to his 8), and toss a 4.5 GB drive into the beastie. With it being NuBus, there is not really any chance of getting a SCSI card for him, or much of anything else. He is going to be buying my US Robotics 56k Courier v.Everything modem since he has a 28.8 now.

Eventually he plans to upgrade to a new iMac, but not for at least another year or two. For what he does, the computer is good. He just wants to get online faster, and use it a bit longer.

Something that is not too hard to do with Mac systems, even when they are over 6 years old.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
i got to hand it to him thats really getting the most out of what you have.

more then i can say for some other peeps who b i t c h and complain that a newer model that came out has 2 more ghz then the model they have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.