Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UpperQuadrant

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2014
What someone buys, no matter the cost, isn't any of your business. No one judges what you buy with your money, you shouldn't either.

Lots of people poke fun at me for spending more money on things they wouldn't. I don't care what others say.

Some things people buy are outrageous, even by anyone's standards.

We can joke around all day long.

Heck, there's a company that makes and sells speaker cables for a stereo at $53K a pair. Is it outrageously priced? Of course it is, would I buy them? Not right now I wouldn't because I simply don't have the budget for that high priced stereo system to warrant spending that much on cables, but if i had the money to throw around, I probably would because I'm into high end stereo equipment and know why these cables are so expensive and at least can appreciate the difference in sound quality if connected to a proper system. But to the majority of the world population, they would think I would crazy for buying them and for the company selling them. And? it's fun to joke around because it you think about it, that's almost the price of a nice car for a pair of speaker cables....

What's your problem? People like joking around at other people's purchases.

But $5 Million for a Gold toilet? And does their #$%^ come out gift wrapped too?

I think it's funny.

----------

Apple is never first. Just first to get it right.

No, Apple is sometimes first, but not all of the time.

They were first to ship a consumer computer with a GUI/mouse, they weren't the first company to sell a computer with them, but it was the first personal computer with them for mass consumption.

They have had plenty of firsts in their lifespan as a company, so the statement "Apple is never first" is not true. But they are many times the first to get things right or at least commercially successful to warrant imitators.

robostig

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
He's probably right, but then, there's also a chance that apple will find its next visionary. I don't buy Tim cook as a tech visionary, just as a guy that only cares about the bottom line.

The apple watch was not innovative, it was incremental. Same for the iPhone 6. I will still pre order the 6+, only because I've accepted that the incremental changes are good enough for me.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Ego is all it takes to turn rich people into crazy worthless people doing nutty things for fun.

Find me one billionaire who doesn't have an ego or at least some arrogance issues...

----------

Until you have the kind of money these people have, you can only guess what you would do with that kind of money. You certainly wouldn't go around buying cheap crap trying to save a buck, that's for sure.

Ingvar Kamprad, the billionaire founder of IKEA begs to differ:

http://curbed.com/archives/2013/03/29/the-7-best-pennypinching-ways-of-ikeas-ingvar-kamprad.php

Arriving at a gala to receive a Businessman Of The Year Award he was at first refused entry because he had come on the bus.

Instead of dining at fine restaurants when he's traveling, Kamprad will drop into a nearby Ikea and enjoy a $4 plate of Swedish meatballs, lingonberry jam, and mashed potatoes. Also: he takes home the salt and pepper packets.

Kamprad is rich enough to own an airline...but he flies economy on budget airlines.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Find me one billionaire who doesn't have an ego or at least some arrogance issues...

----------

Money has nothing to do with it. That's the personality trait that separates the hunters from the sheep. It's not about the money, it's about being able to do what you need to do to win.

----------

What's your problem? People like joking around at other people's purchases.

----------

Apparently, I spend my time with a higher class of people than you do.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland

----------

Ingvar Kamprad, the billionaire founder of IKEA begs to differ:

http://curbed.com/archives/2013/03/29/the-7-best-pennypinching-ways-of-ikeas-ingvar-kamprad.php

Haha. While he was living in Switzerland (has now returned home AFAIK) he was also known to pop into the local grocery stores when they had special deals for staples like sugar or pasta and stock up on them.
He did live in a low-tax city where mostly other wealthy people live - so his house didn't stick out at all (unlike the mansions of Larry E....)

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Haha. While he was living in Switzerland (has now returned home AFAIK) he was also known to pop into the local grocery stores when they had special deals for staples like sugar or pasta and stock up on them.
He did live in a low-tax city where mostly other wealthy people live - so his house didn't stick out at all (unlike the mansions of Larry E....)

Yep, pretty sure he gets the crown for worlds biggest tight arse.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Money has nothing to do with it. That's the personality trait that separates the hunters from the sheep. It's not about the money, it's about being able to do what you need to do to win.

Not so much. As with so many people who have made huge fortunes, Ellison assumes that he's right about everything and that everyone is entitled to his opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.