Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melodosgr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
I got an old Macbook Pro Early 2008 4,1 and I'd like to upgrade the ram from 4gb to 6gb. I know that by doing this, I will lose the dual channel ability. Is that a big performance loss?

Also, I don't seem to find the other sodimm in 4gb single, currently I have the M470T5663CZ3-CE6, but I can't find the corresponding 4gb from samsung. Will there be any issues if I get a sodimm from a different manufacturer?

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I got an old Macbook Pro Early 2008 4,1 and I'd like to upgrade the ram from 4gb to 6gb. I know that by doing this, I will lose the dual channel ability. Is that a big performance loss?
No, the benefit of an added 2GB of RAM will outweigh the benefit of having matched pairs.
MR Guide to Matched RAM on Intel Macs

Also, I don't seem to find the other sodimm in 4gb single, currently I have the M470T5663CZ3-CE6, but I can't find the corresponding 4gb from samsung. Will there be any issues if I get a sodimm from a different manufacturer?
No, it's fine to use RAM from different manufacturers, as long as the specs are appropriate for your Mac.

melodosgr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
No, the benefit of an added 2GB of RAM will outweigh the benefit of having matched pairs.
MR Guide to Matched RAM on Intel Macs

No, it's fine to use RAM from different manufacturers, as long as the specs are appropriate for your Mac.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've just ebay'd 4gb pc2 - 5300s macbook and got a few results and prices ranging from 80 dollars etc.. Isn't that a little expensive? I was wondering if you or anyone could suggest a few 4gb dimms that work with macbooks and are quite affordable.

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

I've just ebay'd 4gb pc2 - 5300s macbook and got a few results and prices ranging from 80 dollars etc.. Isn't that a little expensive? I was wondering if you or anyone could suggest a few 4gb dimms that work with macbooks and are quite affordable.

Thanks
As RAM prices vary widely and are constantly changing, you just have to shop around when you're ready to buy.

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008

Thanks
Yes, that is so expensive. I have just bought two 4g ddr 1066 (8gb in total) for 60€, that are 70 $ more or less.

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2011

Thanks

Hello Melodosgr... Did you have any problems after installing the 1x2GB + 1x4GB memory after? I am thinking of doing the same thing with my early 2008 MBPro. Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello Melodosgr... Did you have any problems after installing the 1x2GB + 1x4GB memory after? I am thinking of doing the same thing with my early 2008 MBPro. Thanks!
Like the age of this thread, that member hasn't posted on this site for over a year. Don't hold your breath on a response.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Do it, plenty of people did it back in the day with that model and the mid-2007's, it worked just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.