Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obiwandreas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Hi guys,
I've been lurking here for a little bit and have found a lot of useful info. I am currently in an iBook quandry.

My current production machine is a 12" iBook G3 600. It has, over the past 3 years, been upgraded with a 60GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive, 640 MB of RAM, and a Slot-Loading 8x SuperDrive (my CD-ROM died, so I figured "What the hey!"). It does everything I need very well under 10.4.3, with good speed. I would love a 15" PowerBook to get me some more screen real estate, but I can't justify the expense yet.

I am a teacher in a city school district. We have all just been given 14" iBooks. These iBooks are ours to use as long as we are at this particular building (not the district as a whole). They left off a lot of the good software that comes on the iBooks (and failed to give us any of the software CDs), and pre-loaded a bunch of stuff I don't need. Example - they installed most of iLife '05, but not iDVD; they also left off all non-apple software that came pre-loaded.

First off, a feature comparison. The new iBook has a faster processor (1.42 GHz G4 vs. 600 MHz G3). It has a better graphics chip with 32 MB VRAM, instead of my 16. Its hard drive is the same size as mine, but slower (4200 RPM instead of 5400). It has 512 MB RAM (I have 640). It has the same speed SuperDrive that mine does.

The screen is an issue. It's brighter than mine, but I don't like the size. I like the tight and crisp resolution of the 12" screen. I don't like working on the 14" screen, which seems to big (though that may just be what I'm used to). In addition, I carry a lot of stuff, and the 14" adds a lot of bulk.

The 14" is definitely faster. For the things I do, however, the extra speed doesn't seem to really make that much of a difference. Tiger runs nice and speedy on my system.

The biggest issue, however, is that the 14" isn't mine. This may seem a small thing to some, but my iBook contains my life: Photos, music, work - everything. It is mine to do anything I please. If I have some sort of big failure and need to reinstall OS X, I can do that. The work iBook leaves me as soon as I leave the building (which might happen in a few months). If there is anything wrong with it, they simply wipe the hard drive and replace it with a fresh disk image. If I need more memory, I can't buy and install it.

The basic question I have is this: I can either stick with my old production machine which has served me faithfully for years and is mine, or I can use the newer machine that is not mine. My gut tells me to use my old one for now. I've tried using the new one, but something just felt wrong. Am I, as my wife has suggested, being a bit silly? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
obiwandreas said:
Hi guys,
I've been lurking here for a little bit and have found a lot of useful info. I am currently in an iBook quandry.

My current production machine is a 12" iBook G3 600. It has, over the past 3 years, been upgraded with a 60GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive, 640 MB of RAM, and a Slot-Loading 8x SuperDrive (my CD-ROM died, so I figured "What the hey!"). It does everything I need very well under 10.4.3, with good speed. I would love a 15" PowerBook to get me some more screen real estate, but I can't justify the expense yet.

I am a teacher in a city school district. We have all just been given 14" iBooks. These iBooks are ours to use as long as we are at this particular building (not the district as a whole). They left off a lot of the good software that comes on the iBooks (and failed to give us any of the software CDs), and pre-loaded a bunch of stuff I don't need. Example - they installed most of iLife '05, but not iDVD; they also left off all non-apple software that came pre-loaded.

First off, a feature comparison. The new iBook has a faster processor (1.42 GHz G4 vs. 600 MHz G3). It has a better graphics chip with 32 MB VRAM, instead of my 16. Its hard drive is the same size as mine, but slower (4200 RPM instead of 5400). It has 512 MB RAM (I have 640). It has the same speed SuperDrive that mine does.

The screen is an issue. It's brighter than mine, but I don't like the size. I like the tight and crisp resolution of the 12" screen. I don't like working on the 14" screen, which seems to big (though that may just be what I'm used to). In addition, I carry a lot of stuff, and the 14" adds a lot of bulk.

The 14" is definitely faster. For the things I do, however, the extra speed doesn't seem to really make that much of a difference. Tiger runs nice and speedy on my system.

The biggest issue, however, is that the 14" isn't mine. This may seem a small thing to some, but my iBook contains my life: Photos, music, work - everything. It is mine to do anything I please. If I have some sort of big failure and need to reinstall OS X, I can do that. The work iBook leaves me as soon as I leave the building (which might happen in a few months). If there is anything wrong with it, they simply wipe the hard drive and replace it with a fresh disk image. If I need more memory, I can't buy and install it.

The basic question I have is this: I can either stick with my old production machine which has served me faithfully for years and is mine, or I can use the newer machine that is not mine. My gut tells me to use my old one for now. I've tried using the new one, but something just felt wrong. Am I, as my wife has suggested, being a bit silly? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I say use the old one and save some cash for a new one. For me a computer is very personal and the feeling I get when I know its mine is essential, thats just my 2 cents.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I agree with Patmian212-- keep your life on your own 'book. If you get moved to a new building you won't like having to duplicate what you are keeping on the school's 14", and you'll be incredibly nervous about transfering the data back to your G3. In fact, I bet you'd end up trying to keep your life on both computers, fearing the time when you change buildings, and it is an incredible pain keeping two computer synched (unless you have .mac).

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I know how you feel and I would use your old one. However, use the 14" in the building too! That way you can put the wear on that one instead of yours.

I like the 12" screens very much too.

You could probably put RAM in the new iBook if you wanted. I doubt they would care if you lifted the keyboard and stuck in a RAM stick. If it ever had a problem, you could pull it out quick.

I wonder why they bought you guys 14" instead of 12".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.