Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
Okay, this question has been done to death, but I can't get any definitive answer to it.

Is there any way to safely clamshell the iBook G4 (while using the hack)? And also... does the VRAM go directly to support just the external display, or does it support the laptop's still too (making it 16 for each)?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
If you enable clamshell with Screen Spanning Doctor, you can plug in a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Sleep the computer by closing it and then wake it up. The external monitor will wake up and you'll see your screen. Then you can open up your iBook and it will stay asleep. You want to do this step as to prevent the heat from dissipating out of the keyboard onto the screen. All 32MB VRAM will be going to the external display.

I haven't been impressed with Clamshell mode really. It sometimes switches to the wrong resolution, rearranges the desktop, gets "stuck" while you're entering clamshell with just your desktop, etc.

I would much rather just span using the hack to my 17" Samsung LCD @ 1280x1024. Only Exposé and Dashboard are choppy, but they still work quite fine.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
alright, yeah right now i am spanning with my 17" and my laptop at 1280x1024 and its great, except for dashboard and expose like you said, other than that its great.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
okay now im running in clamshell but everytime i try to go to system prefs to change the settings of the resolution it crashes. anyone got any advice?

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
okay got it to work....

so how do you all have your set up like? do you keep the lid open all the way or just enough for heat to get out? or do you put the ibook behind the display and use an external kb and mouse? :p

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Well, Ive got my ibook linked to my Sony display, but I don't actually use the ibook's at all. Ive set it to the spanning mode, but moved my menu bar and dock to the sony. It works well.

The iBook gets hot, but I'm sure it will survive...it will right?!

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
Maxiseller said:
The iBook gets hot, but I'm sure it will survive...it will right?!

Mmm- don't bet on it. The iBook is not designed to be used in clamshell mode, otherwise the control panel you hacked would work out the box. The case is designed to dissipate heat up and out the base through the keyboard. If you shut the laptop it will get VERY hot VERY quickly. If at all possible, I would advise you to leave it open when you have it connected to your external display.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Well, I do leave it open.

Maybe my original post was misleading; what I meant to say is that I simply turn down the brightness of my iBook display, fold it about 2/3 of the way down, and use my sony as my main display for the majority of the time. That way the heat can still dissipate through my keyboard but I get to use a nice clear screen to do my work.

I feel that the reason this isn't supported out of the box is more to do with "pro" consumers having no option but buy the powerbook should they want this feature.

What makes the powerbook work in clamshell mode? Is the heat dissipation better as it's aluminium instead of plastic?

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
Maxiseller said:
What makes the powerbook work in clamshell mode? Is the heat dissipation better as it's aluminium instead of plastic?

I guess so - PB users used to complain that their cases got very hot and it was actually uncomfortable to use them on their laps for long periods. I don't get that issue with my iBook even after several hours. :)

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
MUCKYFINGERS said:
everytime i try to go to system prefs to change the settings of the resolution it crashes

Yeah, when you click displays it often crashes.

To those who close the iBook and run it in clamshell mode: Why? Why not just open it that way it won't overheat.

I don't have clamshell turned on, just spanning. Spanning works better and has far less bugs.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
sooo... does anyone regularly use their ibook in clamshell mode with an external display (to give the bigger monitor all 32 mb of vram)? i want to know if this is risky or not and i'm sure someone has done this before!:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.