Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

londrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
So I upgraded to ios8, and now all my pages documents have disappeared from my iPhone and iPad. They are still on Mac though, so I am assuming that it's something to do with this new iCloud Drive thing. I am guessing the apps can only see the documents on there, and not if they are still on the old icloud.
But if i send them over to my iPad and save them, it looks like that will make them disappear from my Mac.

I am guessing it will all work out fine once the new Mac OS is released, so I'm not that bothered, but it seems a bit of a dopey way of doing to me. I thought the whole point of icloud was that you can work on the docs seamlessly on each machine. But they've just stuck a big wall up between them

heathpitts

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
I have the same problem except with Numbers. I don't have these docs backed up on a PC or Mac, only on my iPad and iPhone. So I guess upgrading to iCloud Drive just wiped out my documents. Disappointed by this

londrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Maybe you can go onto the icloud.com website, and see if they are still there

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Right now you have a choice if you want to upgrade your iCloud account to "iCloud Drive" or not.

If you don't, you can only see your documents here:
On Mac iWork apps on Mavericks or earlier
iOS devices running iOS 7 or earlier

If you do, you can only see your documents here:
On iCloud.com on the Web
On Mac iWork apps on Yosemite
On iOS devices running iOS 8

So basically, good freaking luck. I finally decided to upgrade on the theory that I can access the web version most places, so I'll just be doing that until October.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I had them disappear and come back the day after on the GM. So maybe there's some hope?

But yes, the switchover process seems like a mess. Good luck.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
They were gone when I'd just updated, checked beta.icloud.com, went into the iCloud drive part, they were there. Waited a few hours and they came up on the iPad. I presume Apple must have to do something/the software takes a little bit of time to do what it needs to.

Last edited:

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Right now you have a choice if you want to upgrade your iCloud account to "iCloud Drive" or not.

If you don't, you can only see your documents here:
On Mac iWork apps on Mavericks or earlier
iOS devices running iOS 7 or earlier

If you do, you can only see your documents here:
On iCloud.com on the Web
On Mac iWork apps on Yosemite
On iOS devices running iOS 8

So basically, good freaking luck. I finally decided to upgrade on the theory that I can access the web version most places, so I'll just be doing that until October.

If I don't upgrade to iCloud Drive but upgrade my iWork apps on my phone to the latest versions will my iWork apps on my Mac with Mavericks see the files and sync the way that sync has been working for the last couple of years?

heathpitts

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
Definitely. Apple support has my account in recovery mode to try and find my files. The tech said they are there but just aren't in the Numbers directory. Hopefully this means they can restore them.

londrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
I saw a comment on another thread that icloud docs are stored on your Mac at
/Library/MobileDocuments
... pesumably because you might want to work on the docs without an Internet connection. But I assume they would just get synced when the internet was back on (and hence deleted)

I'm not by my Mac so I can't check, but maybe it's worth looking

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.