Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ForbiddenApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Just picked up my iPhone 6 and I noticed each time I take a picture in a bright room or I point at a bright object, like a light bulb, there's a bright green line on the picture. It's very annoying.

Is this a fault with my camera or do others have this issue too (ie. is it normal?) Any help would be appreciated.

techn9ne

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
Can you attach a photo so we can see what you mean? Sounds like you're just getting a flare from the light which is totally normal for cameras being pointed directly at light. As for the green effect, it all has to do with what the light source is and the lens itself - probably not a defect but give us a look.

ForbiddenApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Can you attach a photo so we can see what you mean? Sounds like you're just getting a flare from the light which is totally normal for cameras being pointed directly at light. As for the green effect, it all has to do with what the light source is and the lens itself - probably not a defect but give us a look.

Sure:

20ue5ab.jpg

28v90er.jpg

Like I posted originally, I have no idea if this is normal or if it's a fault with my phone. I appreciate the help!

mdelrossi

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
Thats not flare, it's something in the camera/sensor.

Does it happen in the same spot ?

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Yes, it is flare. The lens is reflecting the filament of that ancient bulb. Take one outside :)

Lemsan

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
I have the exact same problem on the iPhone 6 plus. So is this everyone experiencing this or some "lucky" folks only.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
this reminds me of the iPhone 5 purple/green dot fiasco which indeed was glare hitting the camera lens or sensor in a strange way. many threads on this from back in the day.

ForbiddenApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Thanks for the replies!

I've done some more testing and it looks like it is some sort of flare. It only happens when the bright bulbs are in the picture, if I take a picture without a light bulb, then there's no dot. Also, going back to my ancient 4S' camera, it's there too (although not as conspicuous) and testing out my cousin's 5S, he has the same thing when the camera is pointed at a bright bulb.

It's annoying since it's quite visible but it doesn't look like there's a fault with my camera.

mdelrossi

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
Actually if it is the filament in the lightbulb, then it's a reflection off of one of the elements or filters in side of the cameras lens. Like the double headlights at night you see in films.
Not flare.

If any one else can post photos of the problem that would be great.

Cleanliving

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2014
I have the same direct light green dot issue. I did not have this problem with my 5. Camera is great in all other situations. Is there any solution to this problem beside not taking pics of direct light?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 514

Da1e85

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
I have the same direct light green dot issue. I did not have this problem with my 5. Camera is great in all other situations. Is there any solution to this problem beside not taking pics of direct light?
this is mine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 460

Olithal

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2014
Same problem here? What to do? Await software update or take to Apple store?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 430

Efa

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014
Hi there, just wondering if anyone found a solution to this problem? I just got an iPhone 6 and it's showing a green spot when I take a picture when pointing the lense directly at a light source. Thanks!

Killchain

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2013
Albuquerque,NM
Hi there, just wondering if anyone found a solution to this problem? I just got an iPhone 6 and it's showing a green spot when I take a picture when pointing the lense directly at a light source. Thanks!

Use you free hand to "shade" lens. This should help but not fix lens flare. You can download a camera app to cover over the flare. All my suggestion are to help not expert fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.