Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiagobaracho

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2014
So does it chime or have hdd activity? I understand that this is happening just after you power on, but if it is just a gfx problem and the machine is booting ok in to the OS (albeit without a display), then doing what I suggested may allow you get a display again.

i will try tomorrow, but it will not fix the problem..... I am beginning to think it
Might have something to do with the power or the gpu Bga... Since I changed it for a new one and the same thing happens... I will use my osciloscope on it tormorrow and see if I have a nice clean vcc to the gpu and to the gfx ram chips...it might also be bad ram chips... I will wait to arrive the new ones to replace if cames to it...
Today o fixed two 15 inces MacBook Pro reballing the gpu... They showed a blue screen with lines vertical... But this one 17 inches showing this square formation is wierd.... I will also change the chipset.. It's cheap..would be great if someone had this similar problem...

Yako76

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
Macboook Air 13 turn on it self

Dear Friends,

I have the this problem with Macbook Air 13" mid 2011. MBA turn on in the same moment I plug in the magsafe. It is 100% a Hardware issues.
How can I isolate the problem? May be a short on G3Hot Rail?
Any Help?
Many Thanks in advance!!!

tiagobaracho

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2014
Dear Friends,

I have the this problem with Macbook Air 13" mid 2011. MBA turn on in the same moment I plug in the magsafe. It is 100% a Hardware issues.
How can I isolate the problem? May be a short on G3Hot Rail?
Any Help?
Many Thanks in advance!!!
Try to do the same test but with unplugged keyboard ...try resetting smc also...... Check for too much dirty or water damage....

Yako76

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
Try to do the same test but with unplugged keyboard ...try resetting smc also...... Check for too much dirty or water damage....

unfortunately the problem is not solved. I thing any component on the Logic board don't work. The question is how can I identify it.

grize

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2012
Test to seeif the smc gets voltage right to it (im not talking just about g3h but G3h to the input of the chip.

3.3vs0 and s3 would only apear if the SMC had activated the MCP as the MCP sends signals to activate different power states.

Youd need a reballing stencile to pull one on a scrap board, theres three different firmware versions, you need to be sure you get the same version, the firmware version is indicated by the second line of the chip.
Its a hard job and im not telling you it will definatley resolve your problem, however with charging problems/no liquid damage and symptoms slowly getting worse thats the only thing i imagen it could be.

Hi,

I'm still working on this machine. After replacing the SMC chip the battery is charging and the standby circuit seems OK but it still isn't powering on.

The PM_SLP_S4_L seems to be the cause of the issue. When the charger is not connected, any component or pad on this net measures open circuit to ground and 0V. As soon as the charger is connected I measure 33ohm resistance to ground on this net and 0V. It doesn't change when the power button is pressed, still 33ohms/0V.

It seems like this signal is issued by U1400 once it has received the PM_PWRBTN_L signal from the SMC. Seems like the SMC is issuing this signal but the MCP doesn't send the PM_SLP_S4 signal?

Can you or any one else suggest what might be causing this?

Does a net name that ends in "_L" mean it is on when shorted to ground, or when it switches from a high signal (voltage) to low (0V) ?

Thanks

Broken.Mac

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2014
Another Water Damaged MacBook Pro :(

Hi All

Thought I might try my luck and see if anybody could give me a hand..

I was lucky enough to be given an a1278 which had had coffee spilt on it. I thought I would see if I could get it working again. Was told that the repair cost would be in excess of $500 including new top/keyboard and battery.

After lots of reading, I disassembled the unit and cleaned up as much as I could with 99.7% alcohol - there was a few areas of the logic board which had some dried coffee on it! I also got a new battery and checked the magsafe connector.

After the cleanup, and a second hand battery test connector which I didn't see when disassembling the logic board, I plugged in the power and crossed my fingers... to my surprise, the power adapter was glowing green, it then booted up and got to the desktop , was I happy person!! I tested all the keys on the keyboard and mouse and those too were working...

I then noticed a few things.
1. The battery was not being detected by the operating system. The system said that there was no battery installed.
2. The power button doesn't work - the only way the system will shut down is to use the software option. I can hold the button down for 30 seconds with no effect. Once the system is shutdown, there is no way to restart the machine short of taking the cover off and disconnecting the battery.

One thing I have found is that this site is a goldmine of info - I think I might have solved the power switch solution (and cheap as well). I have found a cheap keyboard on Aliexpress (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-1...723150764.html) but wasn't sure if it was the correct one so if someone could take a look and let me know.

As for the battery charging problem, I have no idea - would that be a logic board problem or is it is a magsafe connector problem. I have attached both back and front pictures of the logic board so any pointers on where to start would be fanstastic.

FRONT
attachment.php

BACK
attachment.php

I also realised that the secondhand battery tester (long ribbon connnect to the side of the machine) was second hand for a reason - it was half cut near the logic board connector - would this cause the unit not to detect the battery?

So, sorry for the long winded post but thought that I had better post more information than less I know that I would need to get the new keyboard and install it but not sure what to do about the battery?

Thanks again in advance..
(I did post this in the Unibody - No Backlight thread so mods if this is wrong, please delete if necessary :))

Broken.Mac

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2014
Hi Cpufixer

The battery charger cable is completely split into two pieces :( and I left the connector on the logic board but I have had a small success. After reading more, I realised that the charging problem could be related to the DC IN board. I ordered a new one and installed it.

The result - the magsafe adapter still doesn't glow amber but the unit powers on and now actually detects the battery :) it won't charge it but at least it now runs off the battery (residual charge left on new battery).

Small steps ...

The power button still doesn't work and the battery discharge cable still broken (I left the connector connected to the logic board). The battery appears on the toolbar with a x through it.

So, does anybody have any idea why the unit won't charge?

Ta

nand0san

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
MACBOOK AIR A1304 motherboard 820-2375-A no magsafe led no powering

Hi!

This is a MACBOOK AIR A1304 not powering when pushing power button, magsafe leds are completely dark (magsafe is ok, tested in other mac). Desconecting battery won't power on also.

Using SMC bypass, it turns on with fans high and OS doesn't see the battery. it is normal when smc bypass i think. MBA works fine, except clock that resets every time i boot, and magsafe still dark. If unplug magsafe MBA turns off.

Checking boardview 820-2375-a, fuses tested ok, and at standby 16.5 volts, seems normal. But in OneWire OVP circuit, page 49, i think this circuit tells magsafe to turn on led (and many other things i supose).

But something weird, there is a voltage comparator, U6990, that gorunds all the circuit. Let me explain....

U6990, is a LM397, pin5 (V+) is in continuity to pin 2 (V-), i think it feeds this comparator. When unsoldered, short to ground disappeared in circuit, and the lm397 unsoldered keeps in short pins 5 and 2.

¿is it normal?, ¿ LM397 is in continuity normaly between V+ y V- pins?

¿this seems that mosfet Q6920 won't work fine stoping signal sys_onewire in some way that adapter_sense signal will not be detected by magsafe and MBA don't charge or detects battery? perhaps this makes magsafe not to blink

THANKS!!!!! and sorry about my poor english!!!!!

Attachments

• MACBOOK AIR A1304 820-2375-A BOARDVIEW SCHEMATICS.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 328

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Mac Mini 2009

Hi all,

Does anyone know where i can get the schematic for a 2009 A1283 Mac Mini?

The unit won't power up. (the power brick is working i tested it)

much appreciate your help.

M,

jimmyflanders

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Macbook Pro 15 a1286 runs on battery, but not magsafe power

Hi!

I currently have a Macbook Pro mid 2009 15" a1286 that has been working fine on the battery, but the power supply has gone dim. The battery has died and now I can't boot.

I've done the SMC reset, which gave me an orange charging light for a couple of seconds and then faded. If I plug in the magsafe after quite a while it is brighter green, then quickly fades to a dim green and stays there.

It boots perfectly from battery.

My question is, I will check the fuse near the magsafe board (I've just changed the magsafe board, but no change), but is there anything else I can try? Any other fuses on the board?

The macbook pro runs perfectly on battery, but doesn't charge.

thanks!!

Jimmy

Broken.Mac

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2014
Hi Cpufixer

The battery charger cable is completely split into two pieces :( and I left the connector on the logic board but I have had a small success. After reading more, I realised that the charging problem could be related to the DC IN board. I ordered a new one and installed it.

The result - the magsafe adapter still doesn't glow amber but the unit powers on and now actually detects the battery :) it won't charge it but at least it now runs off the battery (residual charge left on new battery).

Small steps ...

The power button still doesn't work and the battery discharge cable still broken (I left the connector connected to the logic board). The battery appears on the toolbar with a x through it.

So, does anybody have any idea why the unit won't charge?

Ta

Spoke to soon... :(

I wanted to test the old battery to see if it was ok. Plugged it in and "no battery". Plugged in the new one hoping it was just that one, but again "no battery"

So, now just waiting for the new keyboard to see if the the SMC reset will help.....

Any ideas appreciated :)

@Jimmyflanders

Am in the same boat as you - did yours have any water damage on your MBP?

motechman

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
Hi,

Light comes on just before log in, grey screen with apple.

regards

south657

I bought a logitech wireless keyboard with built in trackpad since those built into the MBP no longer work. From what I can see that and the forced cpu slow down to reduce uP heat are the only problems. Since I removed the kext plugin file that controls the cpu slowdown (leaving the fans on) those are the only issues.

I see tons of people reporting these types of SMC related problems, so I can only believe it's a common, known failure of the hardware, a chip with a design flaw.

I can't help but blame Apple for not addressing this. By now they certainly are aware of this. And I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt it isn't an intentional planned obsolescence fault.

My question to you, south657, as it appears you are a repairman / technician that sees plenty of these systems, is what are the common component failures you have observed with SMC related problems such as these? Do you find there is a weak chip (like U5701 or the others on page 47 of schematic)?

Quite disappointed as I put more faith in the Apple name and their design prowess than they apparently deserved.

I checked on ebay and even the logic boards with known problems are going for $80 or more. Those sold as 100% functional are upwards of $500. Even the repair services sound risky.

I can use a bluetooth mouse in place of the trackpad but a dead internal keyboard is really a PITA. If you have any thoughts, guidance or a troubleshooting process to identify what has failed I'm all ears.

tiagobaracho

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2014
guys... those numbers on the left of the PP3V3_S5 .. what does it means ? 72...71....

Thanks

Attachments

• quest.jpg
    quest.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:

grize

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2012
guys... those numbers on the left of the PP3V3_S5 .. what does it means ? 72...71....

Thanks

I think they are the page ref numbers of other places that net appears.

Please can someone help me....Should PM_RSMRST_L be low (0v) when it is active? My board still won't power on. All of the standby voltages seem correct, but PM_RSMRST_L is high (3.42V) as soon as the charger is plugged in, and does not drop to 0v, as I understand it should go low when the SMC receives the RSMRST_PWRGD signal from U7940.

Please can someone give me some help with this?

Thanks

tiagobaracho

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2014
hi guys....i have a 820-2914-a board dead...visually its clean... it does not light up the magsafe, but i get tge 16.5 v all across,,,, the g3hot is dead , no fuses blown..
PPBUS_G3H is 4.6v...
efi has 0v on the vcc pin that should be 3.3..
PPBUS_G3H should be 12.6 right ? who should be blame for this 4.6 instead 12.6 ?
on the osciloscope it show fast drops on the 16.5v, like it was rebooting the magsafe
its a 17 inches i7 macbook... so i am really trying to fix this one..

South657

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2014
portsmouth UK
I bought a logitech wireless keyboard with built in trackpad since those built into the MBP no longer work. From what I can see that and the forced cpu slow down to reduce uP heat are the only problems. Since I removed the kext plugin file that controls the cpu slowdown (leaving the fans on) those are the only issues.

I see tons of people reporting these types of SMC related problems, so I can only believe it's a common, known failure of the hardware, a chip with a design flaw.

I can't help but blame Apple for not addressing this. By now they certainly are aware of this. And I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt it isn't an intentional planned obsolescence fault.

My question to you, south657, as it appears you are a repairman / technician that sees plenty of these systems, is what are the common component failures you have observed with SMC related problems such as these? Do you find there is a weak chip (like U5701 or the others on page 47 of schematic)?

Quite disappointed as I put more faith in the Apple name and their design prowess than they apparently deserved.

I checked on ebay and even the logic boards with known problems are going for $80 or more. Those sold as 100% functional are upwards of $500. Even the repair services sound risky.

I can use a bluetooth mouse in place of the trackpad but a dead internal keyboard is really a PITA. If you have any thoughts, guidance or a troubleshooting process to identify what has failed I'm all ears.

Hi motechman,

Looks like you have some bad luck on this one this link is for U5701 http://www.cypress.com/?docID=45174 I would be looking to replace it?
Has this unit had water on it?
Most of the boards i get have power problems, I have not had this myself yet if some one else could help on this please chime in.
Do you have the tools to replace U5701
This is a link for it http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...CY8C24794-24LTXI/?qs=qYlzjrEdrIYv5/bpcrYsnA==
Is the chip getting hot?

Regards

south657

Yako76

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
Ppbus_g3h

Hi Guys,
wich woltage must have the PPBUS_G3H in a Macbook Air 13?
I can mesure just 8.35v, on the schematic is 12.8v.

Why have I just 8.35 (with and without Battery).

Any help?

South657

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2014
portsmouth UK
Hi Guys,

Any help?

With respect this is a mac book pro thread. ZZZac might be able to help you if he has time and some others.

regards

south657

tiagobaracho

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2014
hi guys.. i was fixing this 15 inches macbook i7 today,.. it have this pink / purple to the white color... but it happens sometimes and always related to a physical bend of the macbook... so i thought i was definitely a bad GPU solder, since i touched and moved/bent the LCD , the LCD flex and the LVDS connector and i did not influenced...
So.. i did reball ( not rework) the GPU.. and to my surprise it still happens and still related to bend the body... i pushed all across the board and could not really find a clear spot where ir would do..
Any of you guys had seen this before ? i have not replaced the GPU...
I read it is a very common problem... but did not find anyone that really found out what it is.... I believe its a cold joint solder somewhere... because its very clear that I bend and it shows... when i release, it goes backs to normal colors..

Here is a picture of the problem
Its not the usual lines of bad GPU or bad LCD... its seam like the pink suddenly comes on few pixels mainly on the white color..

Attachments

• cRY5nyx5rNoMQExx (1).jpg
    cRY5nyx5rNoMQExx (1).jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 829

ZZZAC

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
ALB repairs uk
Hi Guys,

Any help?

macbook airs run on 8v.
what you have is normaly.
check the rating on the battery. Sometimes its a simple case of using your brain and you will figure out why is only meant to be 8v and that is what the battery is charged to...

I really dont understand how so many people are making this mistake :p

----------

hi guys....i have a 820-2914-a board dead...visually its clean... it does not light up the magsafe, but i get tge 16.5 v all across,,,, the g3hot is dead , no fuses blown..
PPBUS_G3H is 4.6v...
efi has 0v on the vcc pin that should be 3.3..
PPBUS_G3H should be 12.6 right ? who should be blame for this 4.6 instead 12.6 ?
on the osciloscope it show fast drops on the 16.5v, like it was rebooting the magsafe
its a 17 inches i7 macbook... so i am really trying to fix this one..

check for shorts and repair G3H
if G3H isnt working it does have a negative effect on ppbus because there are some 3.4v signals that communicate with the charging ic.

----------

Spoke to soon... :(

I wanted to test the old battery to see if it was ok. Plugged it in and "no battery". Plugged in the new one hoping it was just that one, but again "no battery"

So, now just waiting for the new keyboard to see if the the SMC reset will help.....

Any ideas appreciated :)

@Jimmyflanders

Am in the same boat as you - did yours have any water damage on your MBP?

you two first want to try unplugging the battery indicator light and inspecting that area for damage.
Then test if the SDA and SCL lines on the battery connector get 3.4v

cpufixer

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2014
hi guys.. i was fixing this 15 inches macbook i7 today,.. it have this pink / purple to the white color... but it happens sometimes and always related to a physical bend of the macbook... so i thought i was definitely a bad GPU solder, since i touched and moved/bent the LCD , the LCD flex and the LVDS connector and i did not influenced...
So.. i did reball ( not rework) the GPU.. and to my surprise it still happens and still related to bend the body... i pushed all across the board and could not really find a clear spot where ir would do..
Any of you guys had seen this before ? i have not replaced the GPU...
I read it is a very common problem... but did not find anyone that really found out what it is.... I believe its a cold joint solder somewhere... because its very clear that I bend and it shows... when i release, it goes backs to normal colors..

Here is a picture of the problem
Its not the usual lines of bad GPU or bad LCD... its seam like the pink suddenly comes on few pixels mainly on the white color..

check at the hinges...could be screen

grize

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2012
macbook airs run on 8v.
what you have is normaly.
check the rating on the battery. Sometimes its a simple case of using your brain and you will figure out why is only meant to be 8v and that is what the battery is charged to...

I really dont understand how so many people are making this mistake :p

----------

Hi ZZZAC,

Please could you have a look at my post no #3065 when you get a moment and let me know what you think?

Thanks

tiagobaracho

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2014
check at the hinges...could be screen

as i said.. its not related to LCD... LCD cable... etc.
There is a spot underneath the board that if a press ( usually when the board is hot) it will make happen and as soon as a release it, it will come back to normal...
this ispot is near the GPU.... but i reball the GPU and if i press the GPU core or move the heatshing it dos not affect so i dont really believe its the GPU...

Searching on google for macbook pro pink lines shows a lot of the exacly same problem....

ZZACK have you seen this one ?

cpufixer

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2014
as i said.. its not related to LCD... LCD cable... etc.
There is a spot underneath the board that if a press ( usually when the board is hot) it will make happen and as soon as a release it, it will come back to normal...
this ispot is near the GPU.... but i reball the GPU and if i press the GPU core or move the heatshing it dos not affect so i dont really believe its the GPU...

Searching on google for macbook pro pink lines shows a lot of the exacly same problem....

ZZACK have you seen this one ?

check with magnifying glass, see what moves...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.