Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbgirl54

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Asgorath, thank you very much for your excellent summary and for maintaining the thread. This is by far the clearest information I've found anywhere on the subject. :D

I'm considering installing a GTX 650 Ti Boost on a 3,1 machine which already has upgraded RAM (16GB) and high-end CPU - it's optimized for computation, but still has the stock GPU. Quite old but never had any issues.

Question: will I notice the PCI-e 1,0 limitation under BootCamp and if yes, is there a way round it? This was answered a couple years ago in this thread but maybe things have changed since?

MacGamver

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
So with 10.9.5 out, when NVidia releases a new web driver, will it address the funkiness that 10.9.4 wrought? I hope so...

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
Thanks, that's much better. Going to try these drivers with a refurb'd GTX 570 HD / Mac Pro 1,1 / Tiamo / 10.9.5 to see if it's really better than a 660 compute wise.

As long as I don't use Apple's combo updater, 10.9.5 is a snap as others have found.

MacGamver

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
Thanks, that's much better. Going to try these drivers with a refurb'd GTX 570 HD / Mac Pro 1,1 / Tiamo / 10.9.5 to see if it's really better than a 660 compute wise.

As long as I don't use Apple's combo updater, 10.9.5 is a snap as others have found.

Meaning update it from the appstore update menu, or DL the non-combo standalone?

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
So it looks like the GTX 570 *is* better than a 660 for CUDA / compute purposes. After several days of running the 570 instead of the 660, it clearly can do certain CUDA jobs anywhere from 2X to 10X faster than the 660 can.

There does seem to be a ceiling I'm hitting but I assume it's more the fault of the PCIe 1.0 bus on the Mac Pro (1,1) than anything else.

MacGamver

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
Yes to both, either one gives you the 139 MB delta update that doesn't touch the boot.efi file.

Hmm... I updated from the Appstore update item, and it gives me the "your computer restarted because of an error" message yet again, like 10.9.4 did. When I boot using stock apple drivers I do not get this message.

mmughal

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2005
Suggest a card

Hello,
I have been going through the forums since last night since my quadro 4000 has died, how is Gainward GTX760, for MacPro 4.1 main purpose is Adobe Software that use CUDA, on the other hand I have a 660TI on my PC which has 2 x 6PIN which I can try and try the performance..

Please advise!

andyrugbyref

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2012
Anyone got an idea how to triple boot with a non-efi card.

I would like to use windows and OSX (no drama using bootchamp or bootcamp), but how to I access/install ubuntu (not through VM)

The graphics card is a GTX 660ti.
Mac Pro 3,1

Cheers

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Anyone got an idea how to triple boot with a non-efi card.

I would like to use windows and OSX (no drama using bootchamp or bootcamp), but how to I access/install ubuntu (not through VM)

The graphics card is a GTX 660ti.
Mac Pro 3,1

Cheers

You can use a third party boot app like quickboot to select what OS prior to rebooting.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Could I use that to install the OS (ubuntu) or would I need another graphics card to do that.

When I'm installing an operating system I go into preferences / Startup disk and set the Mac to bootup from the USB Disk / CDROM / External disk and reboot into installer.

Sohaib Najam

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Toronto, Canada
750 ti Work W/ Mac Pro 5,1 OSX 10.9.5?

Title says it all, just curious to know if the default driver built into OSX works with maxwell cards. I'm personally not a fan of the web drivers, they create too many problems. I've heard it's started to work (clumsily) but still work under Yosemite.

Just curious if Apple updated its basic driver yet to accommodate the 750ti under Mavericks 10.9.5. Thanks.:D

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Title says it all, just curious to know if the default driver built into OSX works with maxwell cards. I'm personally not a fan of the web drivers, they create too many problems. I've heard it's started to work (clumsily) but still work under Yosemite.

Just curious if Apple updated its basic driver yet to accommodate the 750ti under Mavericks 10.9.5. Thanks.:D

No, the Maxwell cards will likely never work under 10.9.5. Not sure what you have against the web drivers, I've been using them for years without issues. The preference pane, auto updater, and the fact they don't clobber the Apple drivers all make it a pretty painless experience now. In the worst case, you can just revert back and use the Apple ones if there is something wrong.

Sohaib Najam

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Toronto, Canada
No, the Maxwell cards will likely never work under 10.9.5. Not sure what you have against the web drivers, I've been using them for years without issues. The preference pane, auto updater, and the fact they don't clobber the Apple drivers all make it a pretty painless experience now. In the worst case, you can just revert back and use the Apple ones if there is something wrong.

Thanks for replying so quickly. As for the web drivers, I had a lot of issues with my first experience a year or two ago - black screen, tearing, etc. Alright I guess I'll buy it after Yosemite comes out. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.