Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GtotheK

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
I'd like to set up an album with before and after pics of my kitchen remodel. So I need to arrange the photos in a certain order. Is this possible in iPhoto? It seems to just download the photos in the order of when they were taken.

Macmonter

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
Vermont, USA
iPhoto Sorting

View > Sort Photos > Date or Keyword or Title or Rating or Manually. Each album's sorting preference can be different.

GtotheK

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Is there any way to just drag and drop in place the order I want the photos in? That's what I'm looking for...

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Is there any way to just drag and drop in place the order I want the photos in?

If you view your photos under Events or Photos(in the Sidebar), you can't rearrange the order they are displayed in by drag and dropping.

However, if you place photos into Albums, you can drag and drop them into any order that you wish. This is because the photos in the Albums are not physical copies of your pictures, but merely links to the originals.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
If you view your photos under Events or Photos(in the Sidebar), you can't rearrange the order they are displayed in by drag and dropping.

However, if you place photos into Albums, you can drag and drop them into any order that you wish. This is because the photos in the Albums are not physical copies of your pictures, but merely links to the originals.

Yes. And to add to Dave's good comments. You can not manually rearrange the photos in a Smart Album.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Is there any way to just drag and drop in place the order I want the photos in? That's what I'm looking for...

I suspect that you are trying to do this within "events" rather than within "albums".

Events are simply containers that your photos get dumped into. They are not really set up for "arranging" your pictures. They are not particularly good for viewing your pictures either.

The best place to "view and organize" your photos are from within albums. Any picture can be dragged from an "event" and put into as many "albums" as you wish. Pictures in albums take up essentially zero space. The original always still lives in the "event". The pictures in the "albums" simply point back to the event.

Say for example... you went horseback riding on a beach in California. When you import the pictures into iPhoto... they would all go into an event... the good, the crappy, the out of focus, the duplicates, the ones with your finger over the lens. You really cannot arrange inside of these events. However... you can create separate albums for "California", "Horseback Riding", "Beaches", "Vacations"... and each picture could be in one or more of those "albums".

Within albums... you can arrange to your hearts content.

This is a very basic point of using any Digital Asset Manager (DAM). iPhoto is a pretty basic DAM... but by using albums instead of events... it is the first step to moving away from "piles of crap photos"... to collections of photos that are interesting to view... and hold your audience's attention. Less is usually more.

I hope this helps.

/Jim

dougclapp

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2015
I'd like to set up an album with before and after pics of my kitchen remodel. So I need to arrange the photos in a certain order. Is this possible in iPhoto? It seems to just download the photos in the order of when they were taken.

dougclapp

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2015
I fought with this for some time and finally came up with an easy solution: I always use smart albums to make my albums in iPhoto. These smart albums do not support rearranging individual pictures. The fix was to create a regular new album from the smart album and Voila! you can sort to your hearts content.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
What I've done is use Events to provide a browsing-level sorting by year (each event covers one calendar year) and albums for setting up photos for whatever use I have. I like having the ability to go between a time-ordered view (all photos view with the Event titles enabled to show year boundaries) and the fine-tuned albums that focus on REAL events or otherwise-grouped photos.

This basic time-ordered view with Event tiles is lost in Photos, at least at present (not the way I want it, anyway). Another fixing something that ain't broke, something I've noticed Apple software designers being addicted to.

SammyCCCC

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
I fought with this for some time and finally came up with an easy solution: I always use smart albums to make my albums in iPhoto. These smart albums do not support rearranging individual pictures. The fix was to create a regular new album from the smart album and Voila! you can sort to your hearts content.

THIS IS THE SOLUTION, THANKS DOUG! Put photos in a Smart Album, then copy them into a new Album. What a faff!!

johnxyz123

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.