Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Your take on T-Mobile $30 Prepaid plan (100 min, unlimited text, 5GB of 4G data)

• Something like this would be great for me

Votes: 356 79.1%
  • Not for me

Votes: 94 20.9%

• Total voters

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
If you only have 100 minutes I don't think you care about calling. You could make calls with hangouts anyway, but it's not the same as wifi calling.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Too bad I don't have good tmobile coverage here.

But honestly 5gb isnt really enough for me. All these plans seem to only be 5gb without throttling, I'd need around 8gb and that's never offered.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007

But honestly 5gb isnt really enough for me. All these plans seem to only be 5gb without throttling, I'd need around 8gb and that's never offered.

That depends on what you do with your data. Excluding music streaming from the monthly data caps cut my counted data usage by more than half. I normally had 3-4 GB counted every month, but after T-Mobile whitelisted major music streaming sites, I now only have 1-1.5 GB counted against my monthly cap.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

I've been with T-Mobile since the 6 launched and unlimited data is so awesome. I'm averaging a gig a day.

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
T-Mobile said so. Why would you think it wouldn't use your minutes?

Because I assume you aren't actually using their network? Same reason wifi data doesn't desuct from cellular data? Doesn't seem right that you would use wifi, essentially bypassing their towers, yet they still charge you for it.

Maybe I missunderstand "wifi calling"

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
I've been with T-Mobile since the 6 launched and unlimited data is so awesome. I'm averaging a gig a day.

Yeah but you get throttled right?

----------

That depends on what you do with your data. Excluding music streaming from the monthly data caps cut my counted data usage by more than half. I normally had 3-4 GB counted every month, but after T-Mobile whitelisted major music streaming sites, I now only have 1-1.5 GB counted against my monthly cap.

They can whitelist stuff? That's neato. Is youtube whitelisted? Or HBO go?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
How do you get this plan? I've been trying to buy a micro SIM kit for my old iPhone 4 on T-Mobile's site and it forces me to a page where I have to choose a plan. Not surprisingly the $30 is nowhere to be seen.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
How do you get this plan? I've been trying to buy a micro SIM kit for my old iPhone 4 on T-Mobile's site and it forces me to a page where I have to choose a plan. Not surprisingly the $30 is nowhere to be seen.

You can buy it from Walmart.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Because I assume you aren't actually using their network? Same reason wifi data doesn't desuct from cellular data? Doesn't seem right that you would use wifi, essentially bypassing their towers, yet they still charge you for it.

Maybe I missunderstand "wifi calling"

You're not using their towers, but you're still using their phone network. You have an internet connection to T-mobile and they then complete the call to whoever you are calling. Also if someone calls your T-Mobile number they route the call to you seamlessly. Sure you're using less of their infrastructure but you're still using it. It's essentially putting a microcell in your phone so you have a connection to your carrier even with no cell signal. ATT has microcells but they are stationary, so it might help you at home, but does nothing for you at a friend's house or in a German train station. ATT also charges minutes for using a microcell, even though your call doesn't go to their towers.

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
You're not using their towers, but you're still using their phone network. You have an internet connection to T-mobile and they then complete the call to whoever you are calling. Also if someone calls your T-Mobile number they route the call to you seamlessly. Sure you're using less of their infrastructure but you're still using it. It's essentially putting a microcell in your phone so you have a connection to your carrier even with no cell signal. ATT has microcells but they are stationary, so it might help you at home, but does nothing for you at a friend's house or in a German train station. ATT also charges minutes for using a microcell, even though your call doesn't go to their towers.

Thanks for the clarification! In that case I'd just use one of the many available data only call/video call services

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Thanks for the clarification! In that case I'd just use one of the many available data only call/video call services

Yep, that's what I do with this plan. But WiFi calling is nice for SMS connectivity and the occasional quick call through T-mobile.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
does anyone have a tmobile $2 a day prepaid sim working in an iphone 6?
any LTE?
thanks

$2 a day with unlimited 2G data or $3 for 200MB 4G and then drop to 2G. I would think that would be too slow for anyone used to a decent connection.

I've had these plans on other smartphones. No reason why it shouldn't work on an unlocked GSM iPhone 6

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
True, but what's the issue with that? Wifi calling is a solution to poor coverage, not meant to give you unlimited minutes for free.

I personally still use other VOIP apps for outgoing calls. But if I get a call or text to my number I don't miss them if I'm in a poor coverage location.

You still need to choose your plan with the amount of service you plan to use. For me the $30 plan works great as I use a lot of data but very few minutes.

This is the same policy as AT&T has if you install a Microcell.....it still uses your minutes unless you pay an additional fee for unlimited Microcell minutes. But the Microcell just works in your house....it doesn't travel everywhere you have wifi....including internationally.

The issue is T-mobile's poor building penetration. It seems an obvious remedy for this glaring shortcoming with their network compared with other carriers would be to give their users 'free' wifi calling to compensate for the lack of service in buildings where there is likely to be free wifi for use. Then, suddenly, building penetration doesn't matter so much.

But I guess this would only really affect prepaid customers, as most (all?) postpaid plans have unlimited calling.

Last edited:

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
But I guess this would only really affect prepaid customers, as most (all?) postpaid plans have unlimited calling.

Exactly! And as someone on the $30, 100 minute plan, I can't really gripe about not getting unlimited free wi-fi minutes. If they offered that, a whole lot of people could drop any other plan down to the $30 level.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus (Verizon) are NOT CURRENTLY SUPPORTED on this plan.

I have this plan on my old iphone 4 and I just bought an iPhone 6 at full price (Verizon) and put the nano sim in from the original BYOD sims T-Mobile sent me (the iPhone 4 uses the bigger sized sim, therefore still had the nano sim). Called T-mobile to have my $30 plan switched to the new sim/phone and they would not do it and they would not say it was because it was an iPhone 6.

However after looking at the check for your device to order a sim page...
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/sim-card

This plan currently supports all iPhones except the 6/Plus. (at least the Verizon ones)

and coming from the iPhone 4 I cannot simply swap a same-sized sim.

the small print on the page currently says this:

Not all iPhones® and iPads are compatible with the T-Mobile network. Only T-Mobile and AT&T iPhones, and Verizon’s & Sprint’s iPhone 5 will work on our network; other iPhones may have limited functionality, including coverage limitations. Capable device required for 4G speeds; capable iPhone may achieve 4G speeds in limited areas.

Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: I was the ID10T on this one...mixed up a straight talk sim with a T-mobile sim...all good now

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I have this plan on my old iphone 4 and I just bought an iPhone 6 at full price (Verizon) and put the nano sim in from the original BYOD sims T-Mobile sent me (the iPhone 4 uses the bigger sized sim, therefore still had the nano sim). Called T-mobile to have my $30 plan switched to the new sim/phone and they would not do it and they would not say it was because it was an iPhone 6.

This plan currently supports all iPhones except the 6/Plus.

Not all iPhones® and iPads are compatible with the T-Mobile network. Only T-Mobile and AT&T iPhones, and Verizon’s & Sprint’s iPhone 5 will work on our network; other iPhones may have limited functionality, including coverage limitations. Capable device required for 4G speeds; capable iPhone may achieve 4G speeds in limited areas.

Nah. That page says it only works up to iPhone 5 but I've activated the plan on a Verizon 5c and it's been fine and there are others using it on the 5s. Does T-Mobile have an online service to move the number to a different SIM? This is an online only plan so it's a possibility CSRs may not be allowed to make any changes to it. If that fails, port the number to Google Voice or something and just sign up for a new account with your unused Nano SIM.

You can try going up to step 3 here just to see if it'll allow you to get this plan for your 6.

https://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/ActivateCodes.aspx

bugelrex

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014

This plan currently supports all iPhones except the 6/Plus. (at least the Verizon ones)

I've ported this plan across different SIMs before, you simply tell them the old sim is damaged and give them the ID of the nanosim. What specifically did they say? You don't need to mention the phone at all, just a SIM swap.

Alternatively, activate the nano as a new line, port your old number to it(you have to call I think). ??

If they insist, and want to know the phone, buy a nanosim->microsim adapter and use that in the 4 if they ask for IMEI.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA

Well, I purchased a Gold iPhone 6 Plus Verizon as Device Only at an Apple Store and I was able to pop in my Nano Sim from my 5 without any problem. I have this same plan and everything is working including LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.