Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
What the hell happened to waiting to release stuff because "Details matter"? I know Apple wasn't perfect under Jobs but it wasn't this bad. The company seems too lax.

iOS releases under Jobs were much more iterational -- a few new APIs, some skeuomorphic doodads, that's about it. But under Cook, technical advancement has vastly increased in pace not only with iOS, but also ancillary systems it touches (iCloud, Apple Pay, Touch ID).

Doing while keeping to a yearly release schedule is IMO causing these software quality issues. The software engineers simply don't have enough time to work all the bugs out. I think Apple should move to a two-year iOS schedule, because I don't know what else can solve it but time. Throwing more engineers at a problem only helps to a certain point.

pvarela

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2014
Different experience here

Due to a problem with the rear camera in my 4th generation iPad (stopped working, iPad is currently under repair) after upgrading to iOS 8, I apply reset all several times, both with iOS 8 GM and with iOS 8.0.2. I even tried downgrading to iOS 7.2.1 before giving up and send it to repair (under warranty). All these times I never lost my documents in iCloud Drive. I must say that I upgraded to iCloud Drive 200 GB plan as soon as I upgraded to iOS 8 since I was already using Yosemite beta 3.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Mvp

Just a quick shout-out

IMG_7396[1].JPG

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
All your docs are still in TimeMachine. Take a deep breath. You did make backups right?

I just checked my iCloud Drive and I have backups of all the iCloud documents for multiple dates and yes I'm running Yosemite PB3. Here are all your iCloud document backups...

/Volumes/{Your Time Machine Volume Name}/Backups.backupd/{Your Computer Name}/{Backup-Date-Time}/Machintosh\ HD/Users/{your username}/Library/Mobile\ Documents

just copy them to your desktop.

Then copy them again back to iCloud Drive through Finder.

EW800

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
I wonder if he even knows. How insulated is he? There's little incentive for lower levels to bring these kind of problems to the attention of the CEO.

If he's a smart man, he'll have an independent team of monitors who report only to him with news like this.

I also wonder how scary he is. There seems to be a general consensus that Steve was terrifying when angry, and would sometimes leave a trail of devastation - mass firings etc. I don't suppose we'll ever know, but I'm curious as to how much Tim makes people tremble with fear.

Right you are. If Steve was sitting behind the desk, I am sure people would be jumping off the building, not wanting to be the one to go in and tell him!

apfelmann

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
Come on, apple, don't go chasing waterfalls (maps, cloud storage etc.) and stick to the rivers you're used to (hardware, non-internet based software)!

This is getting ridiculous!

The new slogan for iCloud?
"iCloud privacy concerns? We keep your documents safe from everyone (even you). Your nude pics on the other hand ..."

Vegasman

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
iOS releases under Jobs were much more iterational -- a few new APIs, some skeuomorphic doodads, that's about it. But under Cook, technical advancement has vastly increased in pace not only with iOS, but also ancillary systems it touches (iCloud, Apple Pay, Touch ID).

Doing while keeping to a yearly release schedule is IMO causing these software quality issues. The software engineers simply don't have enough time to work all the bugs out. I think Apple should move to a two-year iOS schedule, because I don't know what else can solve it but time. Throwing more engineers at a problem only helps to a certain point.

The solution is to ship more often Not less.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'll stick with OneDrive for the time being. iCloud Drive doesn't look ready for prime time.

Apple has never been any good at the "cloud." From MobileMe to this, they have fallen flat at times. This is the kind of thing they should be asking IBM to help them develop.

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
this is what happen when people install a beta in their main advice and come here to complain.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I don't understand why they don't simply anounce it a few months ahead and allow developers to test it so that all bugs can be fixed before the public launch.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
How about Apple has the ******** who blocked Launcher do some QA and testing instead of making the user experience worse, eh?

Apple needs to pull complexity out of the OS, and that means getting rid of things that Apple can't do and add no value - scrap Maps, scrap Podcasts, scrap the App Store innovation tax.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Simple, they made the mistake of putting HW and SW under one hat. The result is that both lost focus, and their own philosophies.
Cooperation sometimes works better at a certain distance... just ask your relatives!

So you're saying the corporate structure inside Apple is responsible for the systemic issues we are seeing?

Not sure if I'm sold on that being the reason, I would guess it was the pressure to meet a deadline ie iphone 6 release date.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Geez I'm glad I switched to Google software, Apple seriously is producing complete crap these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.