Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
I got my imac in December. I have noticed quite often that after having a browser window open for a while that I am left with significant screen burn which stays for about 15 min or so. Even after shut down, and unplugging the burn is still there.

Is there a way to prevent this or no? Will it get better after a while? I have had it for nearly a month now and it still does it.

(3.4, 680MX, 32GB, 1TB Fusion)
P1120416.jpg

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
it's an issue called image retention. Apple says, it's there for each an every IPS panel, but from what I've learned, there are displays without it, while some panels have lots of it. bad luck, man.

Coffee Minutes

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
That looks horrible!

Better send it in for a return as it will likely only get worse.

This is why I will wait until Apple sorts out these early manufacturing issues over the next few months. What a shame.

mihai.ile

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
I can not believe what I am reading on that article!!!

It explains the same problem (phosphor burn-in) the early CRT monitors had. I just hope this problem gets fixed properly though :S

One thing is to let the display on the log in screen for hours so I understand the Screen Saver feature and while not perfect solution I think it works ok but other thing is to have your screen memorizing your application layout while you write some text documents over several hours and then switch to something else and still see your text application in there for several minutes :S

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I had the same problem with my new iMac. In my case, there was nothing I could do to prevent it, and it had become permanent enough that I could only get the ghosting of my browser windows to become dimmer, but not completely go away. I returned mine and haven't decided if I'm going to get another, yet, mostly because of this issue.

photonx.jpg

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1509571/

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I had the same problem with my new iMac. In my case, there was nothing I could do to prevent it, and it had become permanent enough that I could only get the ghosting of my browser windows to become dimmer, but not completely go away. I returned mine and haven't decided if I'm going to get another, yet, mostly because of this issue.

photonx.jpg

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1509571/

That's a bummer. What's the return-window for the iMac? 14 days starting on the date it's delivered?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
This is still an issue to the 2013 27" iMacs

It was never really an issue on 2012 models, so no.

There are always a some reports of this on the boards, but they are few and far between, and representative of faulty displays. That will be the same for the 2013 model.

llirik

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
It was never really an issue on 2012 models, so no.

There are always a some reports of this on the boards, but they are few and far between, and representative of faulty displays. That will be the same for the 2013 model.

do a quick search elsewhere, plenty of people with this issue, far more than just "some"

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
I had it on my 2008 iMac, Apple replaced the screen, though it wasn't much better afterwards. It does seem to have got better with time, though the computer doesn't get the same sort of use these days, i.e. Minecraft instead of Aperture, and on for less hours a day.
An all white screensaver did help, though the best one was the old RSS screensaver which isn't there anymore, the closest thing is the "word of the day" one.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
do a quick search elsewhere, plenty of people with this issue, far more than just "some"

Most people with working iMac display don't go on the messageboards and say, "My iMac has no image retention."

I stand by my statement that very, very few people have this issue in comparison to those who don't. And I feel for those who experience it. It sucks.

Mr. Flabtastic

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
I just bought one of the new 27" iMacs from the local Apple store and I immediately noticed the ghosting. I'm still within the 14 day window, if I return it is there a chance that I can get one w/o this issue or do all the new 27" iMacs have this problem? Suggestions?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I just bought one of the new 27" iMacs from the local Apple store and I immediately noticed the ghosting. I'm still within the 14 day window, if I return it is there a chance that I can get one w/o this issue or do all the new 27" iMacs have this problem? Suggestions?

If you "immediately" noticed the image retention, exchange it. All new iMacs do NOT have this problem.

wim.v

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Yesterday I noticed my late 2013 iMac has image retention too...
It was the first time I used the mac the entire day. And I think it happens when the screen warms up.
I browsed the web for an hour and then I opened up photoshop and saw my browser window's ghost image on the gray background of the empty workspace. It stayed on there for a very long time and only went away after activating the flurry screensaver for a few minutes.

I don't know what I will do with this iMac. I love to work on it and I never saw the image retention before. I use it for 3 weeks now.
I checked if I saw image retention a minute ago but have no ghost images right now.
If it only happens after 12+ hours of use I'm not going to try to exchange it. Chances are I will get a screen in return with a yellow tint or light bleeding.
I also only notice this on plain grey backgrounds.

I'm a little bit disappointed in Apple. This is not the first screen issue I'm experiencing. I have a Macbook Pro 17" with severe banding. I can live with it because the laptop is property of the company I work for and I did not pay for it.
I also bought an iPad 3 which had severe light bleeding.
(https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=293642&d=1310594235). Luckily I managed to have it exchanged for a better one.

I'm glad I spend a little extra on Apple Care for this machine. Sooner or later I will need it. I'm almost sure problems will occur within the next three years.
Apple ≠ quality these days anymore...

Last edited:

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I'm glad I spend a little extra on Apple Care for this machine. Sooner or later I will need it. I'm almost sure problems will occur within the next three years.
Apple ≠ quality these days anymore...

You spend a lot of money for a high quality product. This is the concept.

You buy a product with a lower monitor quality than expected.

This is the problem.

APPLE has to take care of these issues....disappointed customers will make other choices....now, there may be "some" disappointed customers but pretty soon, will become "more and more" customers who will be annoyed too...

I think APPLE needs "happy" customers, correct?

pnosko

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
Same issue with my late 2013 iMac

I can only notice it on grey backgrounds and the Dashboard, and it's not as noticeable as in THOPMedia's picture. I read the Apple support article for the link posted by jackvega, which makes it clear to me that Apple is saying this is not a defect but an "expected" behavior of IPS displays. Acceptance of that explanation is likely a personal decision.

I work from home and use my iMac for very long periods. I had the screen saver disabled and let my screen sleep after an hour, so all night long. Yesterday I changed it to go to the Flurry screensaver after an hour and then sleep at the 3-hour point, so 2 hours worth of screen "wiping."

This morning, I can't see the persistence on a grey background (or the Dashboard background) anymore. I realize once you see something and expect to see it, your mind may put it there (like a sign you believe reads gas or food ahead on the highway until you get closer and see it's something else entirely).

For me, Apple's solution works. Sure, I'd be happier if there was zero persistence. But the tradeoff is an incredible image with 178 degree viewing angle. I'm satisfied.

Your situation may require more screen saver time. Apple says "To clear the persistent image, allow the screen saver to run for approximately as long as the image was being displayed." I'd suggest letting it run all night at first, then backing down to follow Apple's rule.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I can only notice it on grey backgrounds and the Dashboard, and it's not as noticeable as in THOPMedia's picture. I read the Apple support article for the link posted by jackvega, which makes it clear to me that Apple is saying this is not a defect but an "expected" behavior of IPS displays. Acceptance of that explanation is likely a personal decision.

I work from home and use my iMac for very long periods. I had the screen saver disabled and let my screen sleep after an hour, so all night long. Yesterday I changed it to go to the Flurry screensaver after an hour and then sleep at the 3-hour point, so 2 hours worth of screen "wiping."

This morning, I can't see the persistence on a grey background (or the Dashboard background) anymore. I realize once you see something and expect to see it, your mind may put it there (like a sign you believe reads gas or food ahead on the highway until you get closer and see it's something else entirely).

For me, Apple's solution works. Sure, I'd be happier if there was zero persistence. But the tradeoff is an incredible image with 178 degree viewing angle. I'm satisfied.

Your situation may require more screen saver time. Apple says "To clear the persistent image, allow the screen saver to run for approximately as long as the image was being displayed." I'd suggest letting it run all night at first, then backing down to follow Apple's rule.

The screen saver thing didn't work for me. It would make the retention dimmer, but it wouldn't completely go away. And even after doing that, the retention would come back strong and very noticeable with normal use.

I'll never accept a defective display when they're not all defective. My current display doesn't show any retention no matter how long I leave something on the screen.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Most people with working iMac display don't go on the messageboards and say, "My iMac has no image retention."

I stand by my statement that very, very few people have this issue in comparison to those who don't. And I feel for those who experience it. It sucks.

And now, a little under 2 years after receiving my 2012 iMac, I now am afflicted with... image retention! Wonderful. Only noticeable on grey screens, but still... suck! Impressed it took this long to show itself, but... alas...

*sigh*

So far, it's only the lower right corner (which is where I saw it on a reboot), and after doing the image retention test - it's still that lower right corner. Interesting that it's manifested itself in just one corner...

Last edited:

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
And now, a little under 2 years after receiving my 2012 iMac, I now am afflicted with... image retention! Wonderful. Only noticeable on grey screens, but still... suck! Impressed it took this long to show itself, but... alas...

*sigh*

So far, it's only the lower right corner (which is where I saw it on a reboot), and after doing the image retention test - it's still that lower right corner. Interesting that it's manifested itself in just one corner...

what is the image retention test? i think i got some retention or some bleeding on the lower left corner too on my late 2012 27" iMac, dunno what exactly it is but it doesn't get caputered in a screenshot so its bleeding i guess??

Thanks..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.