Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacaque

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Canada
People doing this are usually young people and the dumb phones are handed down from their parents, so the marginal cost can be $0 for the phone. You can get prepaid plans for as little as $10/month (sometimes lower), so there's the potential to save a lot of money but it depends on the circumstances.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
While you can save quite a bit of money by doing this, imo the point of having a smartphone is to consolidate the number of devices I need to carry. By carrying one iPhone I don't have to carry around a phone and an iPod and a digital camera and a gps (among other things). For me, that convenience is worth paying a bit more for.

Edit: after reading through the thread I see the same point was already made on the first page.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
And now there are apps which give you a phone number that allow you to make and receive calls on your iPod Touch. I know a few people who do that.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Not enough value for what I need from a phone. The whole idea of having an iPhone (or any modern smartphone for that matter) is being able to access the web quickly and easily for any application (web browsing, social media, navigation, web search, et cetera).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
used iPod Touch 5G 16GB: ~$150
dumbphone: ~$50

used iPhone 5/5c 16GB: ~$250

service cost: same

I'll take the iPhone, thanks.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
This is exactly what I did until last year, when the 5s came out. Carried a flip phone with me at all times, and added the iPod touch (which was a hand-me-down from my wife) whenever I thought I might need access to my apps.

The flip phone was a generic AT&T ZTE phone that cost $18 for a refurb unit, and I used the $0.10/minute prepaid GoPhone plan that automatically refilled $25 every three months. I rarely went over on my voice minutes, and actually had to give up about $50 in rollover credits when I bought my iPhone and switched to T-Mobile. Never paid more than $120 in any given year for cell service.

If I needed data for the iPod touch, I would keep a database of wi-fi hotspots loaded up or borrow the shared mi-fi device from my office.

I went with this combo, because I thought smartphone plans were outrageously expensive and loaded up with all kinds of tricks and traps designed to lock in and fleece customers. The added functionality of a smartphone didn't matter to me if I felt the carriers were playing a game to see who could ream their customers more for the privilege of carrying a smartphone.

It wasn't until better prepaid and contract-free plans for the iPhone became available early last year that I considered buying a smartphone. With T-Mobile's $30 100 min/5GB prepaid plan, I pay just over $400 a year for my cell service. Pretty good, even though it's more than triple what I paid before!

----------

used iPod Touch 5G 16GB: ~$150
dumbphone: ~$50

used iPhone 5/5c 16GB: ~$250

service cost: same

I'll take the iPhone, thanks.

Service cost for feature phones though is not the same, especially if you go the prepaid route. On AT&T, my service charge was $25 for three months of service at $0.10/min. I only went over my minutes when traveling, and still wound up paying no more than $120 in any given year. And both phones I had with AT&T cost $20 or less.

Functionality is one thing, but cost is quite another.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Service cost for feature phones though is not the same, especially if you go the prepaid route. On AT&T, my service charge was $25 for three months of service at $0.10/min. I only went over my minutes when traveling, and still wound up paying no more than $120 in any given year. And both phones I had with AT&T cost $20 or less.

Functionality is one thing, but cost is quite another.
You can use iPhones on the GoPhone Pay As You Go $0.10/minute plans. AT&T doesn't advertise it but there's nothing in their terms of service preventing smartphone use on PAYG. That's the benefit of the GSM/SIM model. Just insert SIM and you're (mostly) good to go. Heck, right now I've got my iPhone 6 Plus on an H2O Wireless PAYG plan for $10/90 days while I'm still debating whether I want to switch from my 5s or not. :)

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
What happens when you are away from wifi?

That's the drawback. You're not always connected. But, when I went with just a feature phone and iPod touch, I found that there were many times that I didn't need or WANT to be connected.

If I was on the go, I would pop by a place with a wi-fi hotspot (since AT&T provided my home internet service, I had free access to all their hotspots, including Starbucks).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.