Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e5volcano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
found my old ipod video (5th gen, one that has plastic polycarbonate faceplate), but weird thing is that when plugged into my computer (Windows 8), my computer recognizes it as an iPod, but iTunes (latest version) does not.

So I can't transfer any of my music to the device. Are there any other free old programs that I could possibly use to get music onto it?

matthew2926

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2013
Michigan
My computer recognizes my 5th gen Video. As ribpeal suggested, try reinstalling iTunes. iTunes definitely hasn't dropped support.

Last edited:

charlyham

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
Copy Trans Manager will allow you to transfer content between your PC and your iPod. You have to download the Suite but only the CopyTrans Manager is free, and that should do what you want. You can ignore the other utilities in the suite unless you want to buy them. Fixing iTunes so that it works is your ultimate goal, but if you don't like using iTunes to manage your iPod content like me, then Copy Trans Manager is a good substitute.
http://www.copytrans.net/

FangRock

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
UK
I know this is an old thread, but i've just found my 5g iPod and iTunes won't recognise it.

It mounts on the desktop, and iTunes (12.1) opens, but it isn't listed as a device.

I've reinstalled iTunes and set up a brand new user account. Restarted the iMac and iPod, but nothing.

Can anyone help? It's working flawlessly, apart from not showing in iTunes.

I'm running Yosemite.

Thanks!

charlyham

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
Try resetting or running diagnostics

Here is a link to an article describing how to reset and run diagnostics on an iPod. Hope it helps.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/7483/Why+can't+restore+my+iPod#answer7529

I know this is an old thread, but i've just found my 5g iPod and iTunes won't recognise it.

It mounts on the desktop, and iTunes (12.1) opens, but it isn't listed as a device.

I've reinstalled iTunes and set up a brand new user account. Restarted the iMac and iPod, but nothing.

Can anyone help? It's working flawlessly, apart from not showing in iTunes.

I'm running Yosemite.

Thanks!

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
I have the same issue with FangRock. Followed the ifixit steps to format the iPod nano. Now I get unknown error 1430 when trying to restore the iPod to factory settings. Bricked for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.