Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mznan5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Boston
Hey All,

I'm new to this site and to macs in general. I recently bought an iBook G4 after using PCs my whole life. Its taking me a while to adjust to the changes. I can't get over the fact that the mousepad doesn't have a right click! :)

Anyways, I have a problem and was hoping some of you who are much more experienced with all things Apple could help me with. I have an iPod photo that was formatted for Windows on my old PC laptop. Now that I have the iBook I want to switch my iPod so that it works on my mac.

When I plug the iPod into the iBook, the computer recognizes it but it asks me:

"A new software update (1.2) has been detected for your iPod. Do you want to update your iPod now?"

When I click "yes" it says:

"An error has occured. This updater can not update a windows-formatted iPod (FAT). Try restoring or using the windows updater."

It says that if I restore to factory settings the iPod will lose all the files on it. I'm okay with losing the files because I have all of them on my iBook iTunes, but will restoring mean that the iPod will become mac-formatted instead of windows-formatted? If not, what do I do to get my windows-formatted iPod to work on my mac?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Mac Newbie.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Yes a restore will reformat the disc for mac. Since you already have your songs on itunes on the ibook, there should be no other worries.
Have fun and enjoy!

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
Also if you want to keep your ipod windows formatted so both windows and mac can read it since windows doesnt read HFS (mac) formatted disks.
To do this just download the updater for your ipod on your pc and then you can update it instead of restore it.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I have a PC formatted iPod and it works fine on my iBook, only thing is when I want to update the software (not bloody likely anymore, my 3G is now officially ancient) I have to find someone willing to let me use their PC.

Otherwise it works just fine and I can use it on PC's and Macs alike because Mac can read and write to FAT32 whilst PC's can't read nor write to HFS.

So, to answer your question, use someone else's PC to update your iPod and keep it PC formatted. Or, restore it, lose the PC formatting but you'll be able to use your iBook to update if and when new iPod software versions come out.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
mznan5 said:
Hey All,
I'm new to this site and to macs in general. I recently bought an iBook G4 after using PCs my whole life. Its taking me a while to adjust to the changes. I can't get over the fact that the mousepad doesn't have a right click! :)
Just plug your old 3 button mouse into the mac. It will work just as you are used to. Or if you must use the one button mouse, press the "control" button on your keypad then click with the mouse and this will do the same thing as right click.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
wow

freeny said:
Just plug your old 3 button mouse into the mac. It will work just as you are used to. Or if you must use the one button mouse, press the "control" button on your keypad then click with the mouse and this will do the same thing as right click.

sarcasm anyone. Be nice to the mac noobs, its comments like that that will scare off new mr comers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.