Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wborisenok

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Boston, MA
Title says it all. Can I buy AppleCare and get a free replacement? Also I think the phone is weaker, there is no way the phone should shatter from a 4 foot drop

Depending on when you bought your phone (if it's less than 30 days old I think you're still eligible to purchase), you may be able to buy a SquareTrade warranty and then make a claim in a couple weeks. They cover shattered glass.

I bought my 2-year ST warranty for $84. If you buy that warranty and then file a claim for replacement, I think they'll get you for a $75 deductible. You'd essentially be paying $159 for a new phone but you'll have the coverage for two years. I think that's a pretty solid option.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not trying to encourage fraud here, but if it's within the 60 day grace period you could call and add AppleCare+, then get a replacement for $80.

That is exactly what you're doing, encouraging fraud.

The OP will do whatever he wants to do. My assumption is it will be the wrong thing but he'll likely do it. Accountability for your actions is something that seems to be a thing of the past.

wcurl8

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Pardon my ignorance, but I was always under the impression that every new iPhone was under AppleCare for the first year?

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Pardon my ignorance, but I was always under the impression that every new iPhone was under AppleCare for the first year?

I believe each phone has a one year warranty that covers defects of the phone. (battery goes bad, home buttons stops working, etc). That's different than AppleCare which covers a wider range of perils.

Apple has been known to be pretty liberal with repairs under the guise of customer service. But I doubt it would apply to pure negligence like it this case.

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011

The first year is covered by Apple Warranty which does not cover accidental damage such is the case with OP. If you purchase AppleCare+ (Plus) from Apple for your iPhone for $99, apple will cover 2 accidental damage so even if you flush your phone down the toilet by mistake, Apple will give you a replacement phone for a charge of $79 (deductible).

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Is the phone still working? You have 60 days to buy Applecare but they'll need to run a diagnostic test on your iPhone... ring them up if it's still working. Does depend on if you have morals or not.

[I never said nothing]

KuchiKopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
So I talked to apple chat and said I wanted to buy AppleCare. The rep texted me a link that started with diag://... I ran it and the rep said failed??? She asked if the phone had been damaged and I left the chat. So now I'm not sure what to do

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
The first year is covered by Apple Warranty which does not cover accidental damage such is the case with OP. If you purchase AppleCare+ (Plus) from Apple for your iPhone for $99, apple will cover 2 accidental damage so even if you flush your phone down the toilet by mistake, Apple will give you a replacement phone for a charge of $79 (deductible).

Just to pick a nit, you do need a phone to turn in, so try to stop it before it goes down the drain (would have to be 1 big drain)

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
So I talked to apple chat and said I wanted to buy AppleCare. The rep texted me a link that started with diag://... I ran it and the rep said failed??? She asked if the phone had been damaged and I left the chat. So now I'm not sure what to do

find a smoking hot girl to take it to the genius bar

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

Walk into an apple store, tell them your story.

Worst case you are out less money then you would have been for AppleCare+ and your first deductiable, best case they take pity on you and let you buy AppleCare+

----------

find a smoking hot girl to take it to the genius bar

Even better

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
So many people here encouraging insurance fraud....

Can you not have car insurance and then purchase it after having an accident? No, so why should this be acceptable?

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006

You could always take responsibility for your actions rather than trying to defraud Apple.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
That is so cool. I wonder what kind of tests apple could run remotely to confirm whether a phone has been damaged or not.

For example if ONLY the screen shattered yet there are no other signs of damage on the phone, what tests would be done remotely that can show that the screen is cracked without actually visibly seeing it.

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
So many people here encouraging insurance fraud....

Can you not have car insurance and then purchase it after having an accident? No, so why should this be acceptable?

But apparently you CAN do that with health insurance (get sick and then buy insurance to cover said new illness). At least after the new law was enacted.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Just go in and replace the screen. It's your fault, take responsibility for it. I can't understand why anyone would even think of doing something shady when its your own fault. So it cost you beer money for a week or two.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
But apparently you CAN do that with health insurance (get sick and then buy insurance to cover said new illness). At least after the new law was enacted.

Surely you can see the difference between something being lawful and something that is outright fraud. And yes comparing a life saving situation to saving a few bucks on a phone repair is vey apt.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
Did you have a case on it?

My iPhone 5 has dropped off my bicycle while cycling on the concrete several times and never even got a scratch really. Even landed on screen.

My iPhone 5 was a beast. Never had a case on it, only a Zagg InvisibleSHIELD. Dropped it down tiled staircases, onto concrete, all sorts, and it survived with just dents and scratches.

iPhone 5S, not so beastly. That slipped out of my hand, slid down the wall, hit the skirting board, and landed on carpet. No external damage (maybe a little scuff), but the screen stopped responding to touch and display had some waves on it (not bleed).

iPhone 6 doesn't seem so grand so far. Saw a guy in Trafford Centre Apple Store last night with a damaged Plus (I think it was a plus). He didn't look too pleased, but I think he got a £99 "screen fix" (looked like a replacement, but he was there a while).

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Some of you guys sound so self-righteous. Nothing wrong with him trying to get Applecare. Its up to Apple to have a system in place to eliminate fraud. I don't even see it as fraud bc Apple still gets paid. You know corporations take advantage of loopholes all the time. If the OP goes through Apple's process, and Apple gives him Applecare, where is the fraud?

KuchiKopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Some of you guys sound so self-righteous. Nothing wrong with him trying to get Applecare. Its up to Apple to have a system in place to eliminate fraud. I don't even see it as fraud bc Apple still gets paid. You know corporations take advantage of loopholes all the time. If the OP goes through Apple's process, and Apple gives him Applecare, where is the fraud?

Exactly im just asking Apple if they'll sell me AppleCare... everyone needs to relax. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.