Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How is your iPad 3 running on iOS 8?

• Total voters

Benny-

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2009
Berlin
I did a clean install of iOS 8 on my iPad three and was expecting things to slow down a little and battery life to be compromised.
So far so good the iPad feels no slower than with iOS 7.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
I'm glad you asked that question. LIKE CRAP!

A noticeable delay after almost every single key press,
getting onto wifi 20-30 seconds,
pulling up simple websites (like this one): 10-20 seconds
opening apps like 1Password: 15 seconds

I will be buying a new iPad as soon as thee iPad Air 2 is released.

It's very interesting (and quite strange) how there is such varied responses. Obviously we have the exact same tablet, and yet one person can experience faster speeds from iOS 7, while another's is basically unusable.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
8.0.2 seems to have the iPad 3 back to normal...it was crazy laggy after 8.0 but not it's nice and smooth again.

Cheruman

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2007
8.0.2 seems to have the iPad 3 back to normal...it was crazy laggy after 8.0 but not it's nice and smooth again.

That's good to hear, I've not updated mine to 8.02 yet. Overall 8.0 is fine but Safari is nearly unusable, hopefully 8.02 will fix that...

redheffer

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2012
I've found the same to be true after the latest update. At the moment Safari is running well for me and my other most used apps seem to be doing well. It feels pretty similar to how things were running on 7.1.2, however, I do get a little more lag when first opening up apps or switching via the multitask window. A little bit of a bother, but overall not a huge deal.

eutexian

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Mapperley, Nottingham UK
One little thing... No nag badge on the settings icon. So presumably my iPad hasn't downloaded the new iOS. I don't know if this is a change of policy at apple following all the negative chatter last update when owners were complaining about being forced to take it... And lose valuable storage space in the process. Or a glitch on my own.

Just thought I should mention this.

Cheers.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
All my issues were from an upgrade. When I reset, and installed as a "new" iPad, it has worked fine.

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn
would love to do that, Tminusg and kevink2, but that would take me a day

unfortunately backup to iCloud really only saves settings; doesn't save the exact app build, positions on home screen, data, etc.

I just hate the idea of losing an entire day to rebuild when I'll probably be getting a new iPad soon

8.0.2 does me absolutely no good; apps still take 15 seconds to open

dr34mc4st3r

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2009
Singapore
my iPad 3 on iOS 8 is not very usable, there's an incredible lag on Keynote which i use regularly, frustrating enough to want to smash my iPad...:mad::mad::mad:

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I know the answer to why some of you have slow devices after a clean restore, and some of you have devices performing on par with iOS 7. The question to think about is: What are all the steps that these people do differently from each other? Clearly, doing a clean restore means you initially have the same data on the devices. So what do people do differently after restore? First, they set up their iPad with their own different iCloud data. Then, they download other apps and start accumulating different data on them. What everyone overlooks is their iCloud data.

You with a slow Keynote app, remove or reset your iCloud Keynote documents in addition to reinstalling the app.

You with a slow Safari, remove all items on your iCloud reading list. If that doesn't help, then you could try removing the other iCloud data: bookmarks and autofill data.

This problem really is a simple one to fix. I had a slow, laggy Safari and slow URL bar preloading, and by deleting all iCloud reading list items (and moving them to Pocket), Safari is back to normal and extremely fast.

sovereign

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
I know the answer to why some of you have slow devices after a clean restore, and some of you have devices performing on par with iOS 7. The question to think about is: What are all the steps that these people do differently from each other? Clearly, doing a clean restore means you initially have the same data on the devices. So what do people do differently after restore? First, they set up their iPad with their own different iCloud data. Then, they download other apps and start accumulating different data on them. What everyone overlooks is their iCloud data.

You with a slow Keynote app, remove or reset your iCloud Keynote documents in addition to reinstalling the app.

You with a slow Safari, remove all items on your iCloud reading list. If that doesn't help, then you could try removing the other iCloud data: bookmarks and autofill data.

This problem really is a simple one to fix. I had a slow, laggy Safari and slow URL bar preloading, and by deleting all iCloud reading list items (and moving them to Pocket), Safari is back to normal and extremely fast.

OK, that did it for mine. Outstanding. Thanks.

Montymitch

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
Mine was fine with 8, but when I upgraded to 8.0.2 things slowed down noticeably. I've also had to restart it a few times to get the volume rocker to work.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC

That's very helpful, MM, thanks. Gives me confidence for when I finally upgrade the iPad, that if it is slow, it will be fixable. It will probably be when Yosemite finally releases, so that I will still be able to access my iCloud Drive documents on it. I have the Yosemite beta on one of my Macs, and its impossible to use iCloud without upgrading to drive...

TBH I'm kinda wishing I upgraded it right away, when it was still possible to downgrade if things went bad. But oh well

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
On my iPad3,2 (iPad Third Generation with Verizon)

I've run iOS 8.0 beta 5, iOS 8.0 GM, iOS 8.0 release, iOS 8.0.2, iOS 8.1 beta 1, and just today, I've updated to iOS 8.1 beta 2.

In order: 8.0 beta 5 was sluggish and not all that great. 8.0 GM was faster, but substantially glitchier. Somehow this marginally improved with the 8.0 general release. 8.0.2 was a lot better, but still not fantastic...there were still some glitches in mail and safari with the accelerometer. Nothing show-stoppong though. Using the App Store on both 8.0 general release and 8.0.2 to find and download apps was quite sluggish. 8.1 beta 1 seemed to make things slower, though, so far, 8.1 beta 2 seems to have remedied some of that a bit.

I did DFU restores when installing each of the aforementioned iOS versions except for iOS 8.1 beta 2 which I did as an OTA update for simplicity's sake.

Honestly, while the experience with iOS 8.x.x is sluggish as all hell, it's still usable for basic tasks. If you're a third generation iPad owner, I'd give thought to upgrading to this next Air if you can't wait for the one after that. Using it side-by-side with my iPad Air, it is definitely a night and day speed difference. If you find it sluggish, that's because it is. Business as usual, though; that's how iOS devices have always aged dating back to the first generation iPhone and iPod touch.

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
You can pretty much ignore everyone that voted yes to iOS8 being faster than iOS7 on this iPad. It may have more features and some people may have a higher tolerance of what they consider slow, but iOS8 definitely does not perform faster than iOS7, and has been proven with benchmark tests. Fact.

EDIT: Okay, I've cleared History and Web Data in Safari Settings and it's muuch smoother now and closer to 7.1.

Last edited:

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i've read conflicting things from people suggesting they've been able to take calls/ texts on the iPad 3, whereas apple's iOS page seems to indicate its unsupported.

that is pretty much the only thing that would entice me towards iOS 8, so if people can definitively confirm its unavailable, i'll save myself the hassle of upgrading!

thanks!

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
...and? How is it?

Not great actually. Noticeably slower than iOS 7. Going to try restoring as a new iPad and seeing how that goes.
Also just noticed the glass at the top of the iPad (not covering the screen thankfully) is cracked. I'm not necessarily blaming Apple, but you never know what bugs they let slip through iOS updates nowadays. Just saying...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.