Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You need to go look up the meaning of the word multiple.
I know what multiple means. :rolleyes: Your comments can be misleading, making readers think they have to search "over and over", when in fact, it's one search, then one more search. Technically, it's search, then "search over", not "search over and over". It's not a hardship to perform 2 searches, and certainly not as difficult as locating, downloading, installing and learning to use another app, when another 30 seconds or less to perform one additional search would have done the job.

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2014
It shows the software in finder, but it says "no matches found" in iFileX

From here it looks like that app comes with Toast. Did you install Toast?

Where are you seeing it in Finder?

If it can be seen in Finder a search like this in iFileX should show it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 10.21.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 10.21.38 PM.png
    985 KB · Views: 228

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2014
Okay, so, when trying to search for files in finder.. when I add search system files .. visible or invisible, why does it show my bookmarks in safari?

The same thing happened when I tried uninstalling another app, the search showed my emails too! I don't know what I'm doing wrong :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 10.26.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 10.26.55 PM.png
    263.4 KB · Views: 188

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Okay, so, when trying to search for files in finder.. when I add search system files .. visible or invisible, why does it show my bookmarks in safari?

The same thing happened when I tried uninstalling another app, the search showed my emails too! I don't know what I'm doing wrong :(
You're not doing anything wrong. It's normal that search results may include emails, bookmarks and other items you don't want to delete. That's why you should exercise care when choosing items for deletion.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I know what multiple means. :rolleyes: Your comments can be misleading, making readers think they have to search "over and over", when in fact, it's one search, then one more search. Technically, it's search, then "search over", not "search over and over". It's not a hardship to perform 2 searches, and certainly not as difficult as locating, downloading, installing and learning to use another app, when another 30 seconds or less to perform one additional search would have done the job.

There is nothing misleading at all about what I said. I simply provided another tool to do the job without multiple searches. If you don't want to use that tool, don't use it. Simple as that.

It shows the software in finder, but it says "no matches found" in iFileX

Odd. In that Finder screenshot, select DiscCatalogMaker and hit command-i to bring up the get info pane and tell me what file path it shows at the top under Where:.

That's normal. Those are all just different files on your drive.

Signum17

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
Berkeley, California
chmodbpf folder and inetget

Hi

I checked this removal guide and came across an interesting item.

• Folder > /Library/StartupItems

In my StartupItems folder I came across a chmodbpf folder. In this folder the plist reads: Description = iNetGet;
Provides = (
iNetGet,
);
Requires = (
Resolver,

So do I put this back or delete it? :confused:

Gene

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi

I checked this removal guide and came across an interesting item.

• Folder > /Library/StartupItems

In my StartupItems folder I came across a chmodbpf folder. In this folder the plist reads: Description = iNetGet;
Provides = (
iNetGet,
);
Requires = (
Resolver,

So do I put this back or delete it? :confused:

Gene

http://www.etinysoft.com/inetget.html

Looks like that startup item is part of iNetGet. Is that something you installed and want there? If not, then yes delete it.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Just install the app iFileX to do the searches and not have to bother with this work around. Much easier.

Weaselboy, one follow up please...I was about to instal iFileX but see that there is a more full featured application called FindAnyFile...is iFileX sufficient for purposes of deleting applications or is there a need for FindAnyFile and why?

Thanks...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Weaselboy, one follow up please...I was about to instal iFileX but see that there is a more full featured application called FindAnyFile...is iFileX sufficient for purposes of deleting applications or is there a need for FindAnyFile and why?

Thanks...

I have not used FAF, but from looking at the features on their web site, it looks very similar to iFileX with a few added search filter options if you think that would be useful to you. But for just simple, system wide file searches to delete apps, I think iFileX is fine. Really just a matter of personal preference here I think.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Or use the CC cleaner tool
As already stated earlier in this thread, if you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I have not used FAF, but from looking at the features on their web site, it looks very similar to iFileX with a few added search filter options if you think that would be useful to you. But for just simple, system wide file searches to delete apps, I think iFileX is fine. Really just a matter of personal preference here I think.

Thank-you...I just need something for a complete and thorough search to delete apps...am going to give iFileX a try!

As already stated earlier in this thread, if you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

Agreed...I have been following your approach / tutorial since the day I first bought a Mac and could not eb happier...thank you for sharing, much appreciated!

Signum17

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
Berkeley, California
http://www.etinysoft.com/inetget.html

Looks like that startup item is part of iNetGet. Is that something you installed and want there? If not, then yes delete it.

Thanks Weaselboy. No I don't recall installing anything like that, and I do not have this program on my Macbook.

Anyway I don't know what it can do...and definitely don't want anything messing with the internals of my OSX install.

Gene :)

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2014
Since Mavericks the method of using Finder explained in this thread no longer works without manually navigating to the specific folder you want to search over and over.

Just install the app iFileX to do the searches and not have to bother with this work around. Much easier.

Hi,

I am trying to uninstall something and ifilex is showing some files that I don't want to delete. I can't figure out how to keep the files that I want? I tried right clicking and I tried searching the menu. Can you please help?

Thanks in advance!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks Weaselboy. No I don't recall installing anything like that, and I do not have this program on my Macbook.

Anyway I don't know what it can do...and definitely don't want anything messing with the internals of my OSX install.

Gene :)

Then you can just delete that whole chmodbpf folder you found and that should kill it. If you have trouble deleting it, try a boot to safe mode the delete it. A safe mode boot will prevent any startup items like that from launching so they can be deleted.

Hi,

I am trying to uninstall something and ifilex is showing some files that I don't want to delete. I can't figure out how to keep the files that I want? I tried right clicking and I tried searching the menu. Can you please help?

Thanks in advance!

Just do the search so you have a search result list then select the first file you want to delete. Now hold down the command key as you one by one select the others to delete. Once you have made all your selections then click the trash can in the toolbar.

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2014
Then you can just delete that whole chmodbpf folder you found and that should kill it. If you have trouble deleting it, try a boot to safe mode the delete it. A safe mode boot will prevent any startup items like that from launching so they can be deleted.

Just do the search so you have a search result list then select the first file you want to delete. Now hold down the command key as you one by one select the others to delete. Once you have made all your selections then click the trash can in the toolbar.

Thank you so much, Weaselboy for your help!

In ifilex, how do I change the search criteria to include system files?

Thanks in advance! :)

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
You can use apps like AppCleaner and AppZapper, but even they don't delete everything. They mostly only delete the .plist files that contain your user preferences for the apps, in case you ever want to reinstall them. These are very small text files and don't eat up much space anyway. What those apps leave behind are frequently much bigger files, typically located in the following folders:
/Users/username/Library/Application Support/
/Users/username/Library/Caches/
/Users/username/Library/Logs/
etc.​
There is no app that removes everything. Even an app's uninstaller will leave things behind. If you want it all gone, manual deletion is the only way.

I use AppCleaner. During the the last year of so, I guess I've uninstalled at least 20-30 apps with it. I just checked the folders you suggested and happened to find remains from only 1 of all those apps. So I guess AppCleaner is doing a pretty good job.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thank you so much, Weaselboy for your help!

In ifilex, how do I change the search criteria to include system files?

Thanks in advance! :)

iFileX searches system files by default, so no need to change anything. That's why I prefer it over using Finder for these searches. Just start it up and search without having to configure anything.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use AppCleaner. During the the last year of so, I guess I've uninstalled at least 20-30 apps with it. I just checked the folders you suggested and happened to find remains from only 1 of all those apps. So I guess AppCleaner is doing a pretty good job.
When you search for app-related files, be sure you've included "System files" > "are included" in your search criteria, or they won't show up. Those 4 folders aren't the only places app-related files could be. Also, it depends on what kind of app is being deleted. Some simpler apps may only have the .app file and the .plist file, which removal apps will find. Many apps have a large number of associated files which may be in a variety of locations, which is where app removal software falls short. Even if they leave files behind, if you're happy with their results, that's what matters, as long as you're aware that such apps aren't completely effective.

kytrails

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
Someone please help, new to mac, trying to rid my daughters mac of mackeeper, i think it was never installed, pop-up is driving me mad!!! I have read entire thread and actually figured out how to open finder, search applications for "system" "files included" for "zeobit" and "Mackeeper", but I am not seeing any files to delete, yet pop-ups continue...daughter needs mac to access online classes, please help

just installed "appCleaner" searched for "zeobit" and "MacKeeper"; but didn't find any files...heeeeelp

Just finished downloading "easyfind" from app store, didn't find any files using "zeobit" or "mackeeper"...giving-up for now, got to hit the sack!

Last edited by a moderator:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Someone please help, new to mac, trying to rid my daughters mac of mackeeper, i think it was never installed, pop-up is driving me mad!!! I have read entire thread and actually figured out how to open finder, search applications for "system" "files included" for "zeobit" and "Mackeeper", but I am not seeing any files to delete, yet pop-ups continue...daughter needs mac to access online classes, please help

just installed "appCleaner" searched for "zeobit" and "MacKeeper"; but didn't find any files...heeeeelp

Just finished downloading "easyfind" from app store, didn't find any files using "zeobit" or "mackeeper"...giving-up for now, got to hit the sack!

If you searched using the manual method described in this thread and didn't find anything, it's likely not installed. As described earlier in this thread, apps like AppCleaner are not effective in finding all files and folders related to apps.

You can check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want:
  • System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items (SL and older: System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items)
  • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/LaunchAgents
  • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/LaunchAgents
  • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/StartupItems
After you delete items from the list, restart your Mac and those processes should not be running.

Where are you encountering the popups? While browsing the web? If so, it may simply be ads on websites. A good adblocker or script blocker should take care of those.

kytrails

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
If you searched using the manual method described in this thread and didn't find anything, it's likely not installed. As described earlier in this thread, apps like AppCleaner are not effective in finding all files and folders related to apps.

You can check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want:
  • System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items (SL and older: System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items)
  • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/LaunchAgents
  • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/LaunchAgents
  • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/StartupItems
After you delete items from the list, restart your Mac and those processes should not be running.

Where are you encountering the popups? While browsing the web? If so, it may simply be ads on websites. A good adblocker or script blocker should take care of those.

I checked those file locations (see screenshots below), no evidence of "mackeeper" or "zeobit", however, an app called "octoshape" does appear, did a quick google search and couldn't find any benefit so I'm going to drag it to trash. I just came to realize that "mackeeper" is only one of the popups that showing up and that every time I open a tab in safari it points to "www.search-only.com" web site and then all those popups start bombarding tabs. I just changed default web site in safari preferences to apple.com and opened several tabs and other web sites...popups seam to have stopped. Could this have fixed the problem?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 5.05.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 5.05.53 PM.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 5.07.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 5.07.16 PM.png
    38 KB · Views: 159
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 5.19.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 5.19.02 PM.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 196

kytrails

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
Its back! That same website reinserted itself into safari default homepage! This is "copy" of link.... http://www.only-search.com/?babsrc=HP_tedge&affID=129546... (see screenshot) Then, with the first click the popups start. I think the whole purpose of this is to get the user to accidentally download one of those files that are being advertised on the popups! I have also noticed that there is this annoying "pc scan download" advertisment that is displayed on about every page I manage to load (see screenshot) Any ideas? Would a safari extension (ad blocker) fix it? Thanks again!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 5.49.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 5.49.24 PM.png
    276.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 6.05.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 6.05.13 PM.png
    27 KB · Views: 172

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I checked those file locations (see screenshots below), no evidence of "mackeeper" or "zeobit", however, an app called "octoshape" does appear, did a quick google search and couldn't find any benefit so I'm going to drag it to trash. I just came to realize that "mackeeper" is only one of the popups that showing up and that every time I open a tab in safari it points to "www.search-only.com" web site and then all those popups start bombarding tabs. I just changed default web site in safari preferences to apple.com and opened several tabs and other web sites...popups seam to have stopped. Could this have fixed the problem?

That octoshape is a plugin for streaming video and you don't need it.

Install the file search app iFileX then search for octoshape and delete what it finds.

I doubt you have mackeeper installed. I think you are just getting popups at skeevy sites that advertise it.

That http://www.search-only.com business is concerning though. Check Safari preferences for any new extensions you may have inadvertently installed then also DL and run this adware scanner to get rid of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.