Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maximus06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
How do you make applications run automatically at startup? I think it has something to do with the startup folder, but dragging apps in there only moves them there.

Is there something like in windows where you can put a shortcut to the app in there?

ryanmcd02

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2007
I think this it what you are looking for:

Go to System Preferences: Accounts: Start up items. You should be able to add programs to that list specific for each account.

dfmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
Misdirection?

Just bought my Maverick os v.10.9.4 and many Manuals and Googled instructions leave me puzzled.
It may be because I have just switched over from Microsoft, but I used MACs continuously from1983 t0 1996 so I understand the Apple mind. However I must admit, things are still a struggle at the moment.
I too, was struggling withe the instruction to drag an app into something called an accounts section of the Apple preferences folder. What I got from that folder was a Window full of Icons, none of which specifically referred to something just labelled, Accounts, But I did seed 'User and Groups'.
You have to open that to get to another window and another choice in its toolbar.
Then you see a window with options for passwords and log in items which is where I found what I wanted.
SO....the proper answer at the beginning of this question should be:-
a) What is your System Version
b) Choose system !0.9.4 or whatever? Then:-
c) Apple Icon/System Preferences/Users & Groups/Log in Items
d)Drag Application Icon into the fame and check that it is added to the list.

I know that this is very fussy to all competent users but us beginners need that sort of detail. We are all idiots at this stage.

I used to describe Microsoft as an endless game of trivial pursuit with Bill Gates and, at the moment Apple has the same problems.
But it is a lovely machine.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I think this it what you are looking for:

Go to System Preferences: Accounts: Start up items. You should be able to add programs to that list specific for each account.

For any novice user who happens to open this thread, click on the + button and then pick the App you want to add. (- removed the highlighted one, of course)

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
if its in your dock you can also hold down the mouse on it then select 'options' 'open at login'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.