Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stinkythe1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Is there such a program that I can use where I plug in a phoneline into my powerbook and I can use the program to dial the number, and I can have a conversation with someone using the built in mic and speakers?

The ones that I've seen require some kind of special phone adaptor or voip.

Surely there is a simple program out there that does this. Is there?

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Stinkythe1 said:
Is there such a program that I can use where I plug in a phoneline into my powerbook and I can use the program to dial the number, and I can have a conversation with someone using the built in mic and speakers?

The ones that I've seen require some kind of special phone adaptor or voip.

Surely there is a simple program out there that does this. Is there?
Haven't heard of one as "plug 'n play" like that. I'll let you know if i find one...

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
In my experience Jon's Phone Tool has a nice interface and works quite well...worthwhile from what I've seen.

Stinkythe1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
No no no.....

Look, all those just dial the number. You still have to pick up your regular phone to talk to people. I want to use the built in mic and speakers in my powerbook to talk to people.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Stinkythe1 said:
No no no.....

Look, all those just dial the number. You still have to pick up your regular phone to talk to people. I want to use the built in mic and speakers in my powerbook to talk to people.

I know you said you're not looking for a VOIP solution, but I use Skype with SkypeOut to call regular phones and it works great. $0.017 to call most places including anywhere in the US. A little more for some places, like 2.1 cents/minute to call Japan. I just use the built in mic in my PowerBook with headphones in the headphone jack to avoid feedback, and it sounds fine.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
Stinkythe1 said:
No no no.....

I believe built in modems cannot produce the correct frequencies for this. i looked for the exact same thing a few months ago but just gave up and bought a traditional phone.

Stinkythe1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
I was hoping to find something like this for my regular landline so I wouldn't have to lean over and pick up the phone whenever it would ring.

Sigh...

Stinkythe1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
gayboystpaul said:
It looks like this is exactly what you are looking for.
http://www.megaphoneco.com/index.htm

That IS what I'm looking for. However,

1) It only runs on classic and I don't feel like fooling with classic.
2) It says that it only supports modems with voice.

(Note: Newer Apple internal modems no longer support voice...

So.... nevermind. Tough luck for me. I could buy an external modem but I don't want this feature THAT bad.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
Probably the closest you're going to get to this is Skype.

It's VOIP. You can use Skype's free program to place outbound calls and be able to use your computer's mic and speakers for the call, but they charge you for calls that terminate on regular phone company lines. But it does work, quite well actually, I've used Skype for a few long distance calls with no problems, and the sound quality was actually better than if I had placed the call normally using my regular phone carrier. They also have Skype in, which, for another fee, allows you to set up a phone number for handling incoming calls, but I never used the service. So, all in all, you can set it up so Skype behaves as if you were placing/receiving a regular phone call on your computer, and be able to use your computer's mic and speakers for the call, but it will cost you on a per call basis.

Anyway, plenty of info on Skype's website if your interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.