Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
If it's just removing the DRM (like Requiem does) then it is not re-encoding the video so you will not see any difference because literally the only difference is the DRM is gone.
From what I see, it seems the thing uses iTunes and QuickTime to do the de-DRM. Because it won't run on my machine that is not authorised on iTunes and also launches QuickTime.
Because my movie is so old, that it requires 32-bit QT, and I have iTunes 11 (which refuses to run in 32-bit mode and won't run old 32-bit QT), I can not use this program at all.

Grant Gross

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
This looks interesting. So you've actually tried it and it worked with iTunes 11?

I'm still using iTunes 10 and Mountain Lion largely because I want to watch the movies on non-apple devices and iTunes 10 is the last version that Requiem works with. At some point I'm going to want to upgrade OS X (and will thus have to upgrade iTunes), and this issue is holding me back.

I wouldn't call it shareware, though! The free trial only converts the first five minutes of each movie, and you need to pay $45 for a reg code to convert full movies. Still, I'd be willing to pay that if it didn't get me into financial or legal trouble. I am a little worried about that, though: I guess that selling a product to remove the DRM is maybe illegal, and that anyone willing to run a possibly illegitimate business may not be the most trustworthy with my email and payment information, even if I use PayPal. Plus, my info will be in the company's records; could I be prosecuted in the U.S. for buying this software?

I don't know that much about copyright infringement, etc., so perhaps my concerns are exaggerated...

In any case, thanks for letting us know about this option for DRM removal. Any other usage information would be appreciated; have you come across any certain files or media types it doesn't work with?

Actually I didn't think too much about the legal issue when I making the payment. But to my knowledge, I would believe it's legal since I'm using it for personal use only instead of some commercial purposes for profit.

FYI, I'm now running this program on my MacBook Pro 10.9.5 with iTunes 11.4. And so far, it appeared to work great for most of the files I purchased from iTunes, though it might still encounter some problems for certain rentals.

Grant Gross

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
If it's just removing the DRM (like Requiem does) then it is not re-encoding the video so you will not see any difference because literally the only difference is the DRM is gone.

Not sure how it works in removing the DRM. But I do noticed some small differences about the file size between the original rented video and the converted file. That's the only difference I can apparently tell.

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Actually I didn't think too much about the legal issue when I making the payment. But to my knowledge, I would believe it's legal since I'm using it for personal use only instead of some commercial purposes for profit.
It's actually not technically legal. You can't even make legal backups of your own DVDs/Blu-rays according to the law. You're not going to go to jail or anything, but it is what it is.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Thank you, Grant Gross, for the info. It's especially valuable for me to know that it's working with OS X 10.9.5 with iTunes 11.4, as that gives me a useful upgrade option.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about getting in trouble for stripping the files for my own use, and morally/ethically I feel OK about the way I am using the DRM-free files. I was more worried about the trustworthiness of the business selling the software (e.g., security of my payment information). My unease is based solely on the (maybe incorrect) idea that they are running an "illegitimate" business and that therefore they may be more likely to do something I didn't want with my payment info...

But this is pure speculation -- I have no real reason to think the risk is any higher than your average internet business. I may well purchase the software anyway!

paikinho

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
Just found this free drm removal called "Requiem" in DRM Wizard site too, it seems so popular, but unfortunately it did not work on the latest Mac OS X and iTunes 12.2. If went back to old iTunes, perhaps we could use Requiem again, but have no chance to use Apple music something like that only available in the new iTunes.

I have only gotten mine to work with iTunes 10.7 while using Requiem 4.1 from the site below.
For me, I needed some sort of cleanly installed OS X or Windows that hasn't had iTunes 11 or 12 installed previously. (you can downgrade allegedly, but I have not successfully done so.)

After beating my head against the wall for a bit, I just used a clean Virtual Machine I have without previous iTunes. In my case I tried it with Windows 10 since my OS X Snow Leopard already had iTunes 11 and I failed at trying to downgrade to 10.7.

http://digiex.net/downloads/downloa...ve-itunes-drm-fairplay-music-video-books.html

I have a Parallels Desktop Virtual Machine of Windows 10 with Java installed, iTunes 10.7 64-bit (freshly installed), & and Requiem 4.1. It just worked the first time.

Downloaded a video I licensed from iTunes to the iTunes movie folder.
Closed iTunes.
Started Requiem 4.1
It found the movie automatically by scanning my iTunes folder and started ripping out the DRM. (took a bit of time...about 15min on my iMac i7) There is not indication of how long it will take... just says "Working"
After the DRM removal was done. A popup indicated that the original DRM was tossed in the trash and the new DRM-free version was sitting in its place. I dragged the movie to my movies folder on my OS X install. Fired up VLC and the movie played strait away and looked the same as it did before DRM removal.

PERFECT copy of the already Apple-compressed iTunes movie. The size was exactly the same.

The same cannot be said for other "Lossless" DRM removal software.

Here is an article that shows that Noteburner, another popular paid software is not exactly lossless as it claims to be.

"http://www.tekrevue.com/itunes-drm-removal/"

I suspect that all newer pieces of software currently available still use this playing/re-encoding method which actually isn't entirely lossless.

The only one that just stripped out the DRM was Requiem, but it is old and one has to jump through lots of hoops to create a setup which will work for now. How long will it work???
Don't know, but it does as of Dec. 19, 2015.
I suspect it may work for a bit longer since only 1 in 100k people will ever care enough to go to the giant effort to make it all work.

Everyone else will be quite content with the plug and chug Noteburner or other such software.

baimiss

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2016
Here is an article that shows that Noteburner, another popular paid software is not exactly lossless as it claims to be.

I suspect that all newer pieces of software currently available still use this playing/re-encoding method which actually isn't entirely lossless.

The only one that just stripped out the DRM was Requiem, but it is old and one has to jump through lots of hoops to create a setup which will work for now. How long will it work???
I suspect it may work for a bit longer since only 1 in 100k people will ever care enough to go to the giant effort to make it all work.

Everyone else will be quite content with the plug and chug Noteburner or other such software.

Yes, I am using NoteBurner, It works great to remove DRM from iTunes movies.

tahitibub

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
France and French Polynesia
I have only gotten mine to work with iTunes 10.7 while using Requiem 4.1 from the site below.
For me, I needed some sort of cleanly installed OS X or Windows that hasn't had iTunes 11 or 12 installed previously. (you can downgrade allegedly, but I have not successfully done so.)

After beating my head against the wall for a bit, I just used a clean Virtual Machine I have without previous iTunes. In my case I tried it with Windows 10 since my OS X Snow Leopard already had iTunes 11 and I failed at trying to downgrade to 10.7.

http://digiex.net/downloads/downloa...ve-itunes-drm-fairplay-music-video-books.html

I have a Parallels Desktop Virtual Machine of Windows 10 with Java installed, iTunes 10.7 64-bit (freshly installed), & and Requiem 4.1. It just worked the first time.

Downloaded a video I licensed from iTunes to the iTunes movie folder.
Closed iTunes.
Started Requiem 4.1
It found the movie automatically by scanning my iTunes folder and started ripping out the DRM. (took a bit of time...about 15min on my iMac i7) There is not indication of how long it will take... just says "Working"
After the DRM removal was done. A popup indicated that the original DRM was tossed in the trash and the new DRM-free version was sitting in its place. I dragged the movie to my movies folder on my OS X install. Fired up VLC and the movie played strait away and looked the same as it did before DRM removal.

PERFECT copy of the already Apple-compressed iTunes movie. The size was exactly the same.

The same cannot be said for other "Lossless" DRM removal software.

Hi paikinho,

Could you tell us what version of Java runtime did you install (and give the download link) ?

Regards

dogbertd

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Just a quick update to this thread. It seems that Apple have removed the ability of iTunes 10 to handle HD movies.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207408

You're now being forced to use itunes 11 or later.

This effectively breaks Requiem 4.1, which only works as far as 10.7. It also means I'll spend my money on Blu-Rays in future and give up on itunes movie downloads. I refuse to buy DRM-limited movies.

Reactions: AleRod

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I'll spend my money on Blu-Rays.... I refuse to buy DRM-limited movies.
To be clear, you refuse to buy movies with DRM you can't circumvent. Don't make it sound like Blu-Ray publishers are the "Good Guys" and Apple is the "Bad Guy". Both use DRM, you just have a way to break one of them.

Reactions: Darth.Titan

rmm805

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2014
Just a quick update to this thread. It seems that Apple have removed the ability of iTunes 10 to handle HD movies.

This effectively breaks Requiem 4.1, which only works as far as 10.7. It also means I'll spend my money on Blu-Rays in future and give up on itunes movie downloads. I refuse to buy DRM-limited movies.

Thanks for posting this. It was driving me crazy as to why I could no longer download 1080p movies in 10.7. It's disappointing that this happened.

rmm805

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2014
Thanks for posting this. It was driving me crazy as to why I could no longer download 1080p movies in 10.7. It's disappointing that this happened.
Does anyone know if it's possible to run TunesKit for OS X in a VM? Or to play DRM content in a VM?

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I was running iTunes 10.7 under OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) in a VirtualBox VM (in order to run Requiem, though that's not relevant to your question). Anyway, I could definitely play my normal iTunes DRM-ed content just fine in iTunes in the VM. I had to "authorize" in the iTunes menu, just as if it was another physical computer, so it used one of the 5 device slots that are allowed. I'm quite confident that (after authorization) any recent release of iTunes/OS X should play your DRM content just fine.

I don't about TunesKit, but my guess is that it would run in an appropriate VM. I see it claims to support macOS Sierra and the latest iTunes version. I wonder if it actually works and is likely to continue to work...

One more note about VMs: VirtualBox is free and is an amazing piece of software, but it is a little tricky to get OS X installed onto a VM, even when your host machine is Mac. (I wouldn't even bother trying it on a Windows or Linux host.) But once installed it generally runs pretty well, except for slow graphical response (because VirtualBox doesn't supply guest additions/graphics driver), and possibly no audio or chopped-up audio.

rmm805

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2014
I was running iTunes 10.7 under OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) in a VirtualBox VM (in order to run Requiem, though that's not relevant to your question). Anyway, I could definitely play my normal iTunes DRM-ed content just fine in iTunes in the VM. I had to "authorize" in the iTunes menu, just as if it was another physical computer, so it used one of the 5 device slots that are allowed. I'm quite confident that (after authorization) any recent release of iTunes/OS X should play your DRM content just fine.

I don't about TunesKit, but my guess is that it would run in an appropriate VM. I see it claims to support macOS Sierra and the latest iTunes version. I wonder if it actually works and is likely to continue to work...

One more note about VMs: VirtualBox is free and is an amazing piece of software, but it is a little tricky to get OS X installed onto a VM, even when your host machine is Mac. (I wouldn't even bother trying it on a Windows or Linux host.) But once installed it generally runs pretty well, except for slow graphical response (because VirtualBox doesn't supply guest additions/graphics driver), and possibly no audio or chopped-up audio.
I'll give virtualbox a try. I've tried to play back iTunes DRM content (after authorizing the VM) in Fusion as well as ESXi but neither worked. Maybe it's a VMWare thing. Thanks for the info. It's a bummer that Apple removed the 1080p downloads. I wish there was a newer version of requiem.

rmm805

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2014
I'll give virtualbox a try. I've tried to play back iTunes DRM content (after authorizing the VM) in Fusion as well as ESXi but neither worked. Maybe it's a VMWare thing. Thanks for the info. It's a bummer that Apple removed the 1080p downloads. I wish there was a newer version of requiem.
TunesKit itself does do what it advertises to do by the way. It does run on Sierra as well but it's not exactly the same as Requiem. The file size isn't 100% a match to the original but I'm not aware of any other way (aside from a similar program like Noteburner) to remove DRM from a 1080p iTunes purchase.

rmm805

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2014
At this time I get an error from that URL... it says "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request."

Did Apple remove that support document?
I can't still see it.

Attachments

• IMG_4781.PNG
    IMG_4781.PNG
    274.2 KB · Views: 280

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
rmm805:

Reconsidering, I think I might have accidentally mislead you about playing DRM content in a VirtualBox VM. I guess I meant that iTunes will (agree to) play it; however, due to the lack of good graphics/audio drivers in VirtualBox, it isn't actually watchable (at least with my current setup).

So, it is decodable for Requiem (and presumably other DRM strippers), but you wouldn't want to use the VM to actually watch the content. Hope that clarifies. And thanks for the info about TunesKit.

mdragoni

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Syracuse NY

Thanks for this truly depressing information. I've spent all morning playing with my VM running Snow Leopard & iTunes 10.7. I've been using this for years without any problems. I'm not up-to-date on the commercial alternatives but as others have stated I can confirm that most of them are not lossless. On top of that, back before I used requiem (pre-2012), my experiences with the commercial software were problematic as it wouldn't pick up subtitles in movies like the Hobbit (or just about anything that involves non-English speaking-roles). So aside from quality, I'm not sure they have fixed these types of issues.

Just to clarify, you can still use Requiem to download in 720p, this will have to do for now but I am deeply concerned about the future.

Anyone else stumble across actual alternatives in the last 5 years?

rmm805

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2014
I've used Tuneskit and Noteburner (both paid alternatives). They work fine but it's not the same as Requiem as they don't just simply remove the DRM but re-encode the video. I don't mind using Tuneskit but I can't get it to work in a VM as I'm not sure there's a way to play iTunes DRM video content in a VM and that's needed for Tuneskit to work properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.