Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masta d cva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
hi there. i have a lot of friends using my mac and they login to the new messenger and now all there user names are saved and i cant get rid of them. i have tried deleting msn messenger user cache but it didnt work. is there a way to delete all the caches on the computer without resetting the system? thanks

masta d cva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Open Keychain Access (in your /Applications/Utilities/) and see if you cannot find their usernames there...

messenger wasnt in there, but thanks anyway

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Edit: Don't you have an internet password named messenger.hotmail.com?

Attachments

• Picture 10.jpg
    Picture 10.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 281

masta d cva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
no just for safari aim skype and email. there are only 4 in there. nothing for msn messenger

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Ok. Let's try another way: Quit Messenger (make sure no Messenger or MessengerDaemon processes are running, using Activity Monitor), locate the file ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/com.microsoft.MessengerDaemon.plist (where ~/ is your home folder) and trash/rename/move that. Then restart Messenger. :)

Note that your own username will be wiped, too...

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
You can also use Cache Out X. It clears out your browser's cache and can delete your log files (if you want). I use it for general system tidiness.

masta d cva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo: That got it! Thanks

Seasought: Thanks for that, it was awesome to get rid of all the crap in my browsers, but unfortunately it did not kill the user login names in Messenger.

I am sure there must be a why to delete the names without having to delete that file Mitt said, but I sure as hell cant find it. But I'm happy because I did manage to get rid of them for now.

Thanks again for you help!

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
masta d cva said:
Mitthrawnuruodo: That got it! Thanks

Seasought: Thanks for that, it was awesome to get rid of all the crap in my browsers, but unfortunately it did not kill the user login names in Messenger.

I am sure there must be a why to delete the names without having to delete that file Mitt said, but I sure as hell cant find it. But I'm happy because I did manage to get rid of them for now.

Thanks again for you help!

I'm glad things worked out for you. You could always automate the process by dropping those commands into a script file...and/or have it run everytime your machinei boots up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.