Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Holling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2002
Looking for some honest and wise advice. I'm in need of a new mac after recently switching from PC. I'm a multimedia designer, considered a tower but find the TiPowerbook to fine a machine to pass up. I was wating on superdrive and now I'm on the brink of buying a 1 gig 1 gig ram superdrive TiPB, I'm just concerned that I'm buying too soon before a major processing jump or a switch to a new chip. The RAM deal is a nice incentive but wouldnt let me hold off until MWSF. What is on the horizon for the Powerbook and when? Many Thanks!

Holling

ljova.com

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2002
yes!

Well, my advice is -- buy it. But then I'm buy-as'd, as I received mine last week. I was also a PC user -- now I pretty-much stay away from my PCs.

It's wonderful!
(Though it's near-impossible to get my OUtlook mail into Applemail -- guess something with my folders is severly crooked. )

But at any rate, I doubt you'll see any significant bumps in speed/features in the next few months. If you read this site like I do, MOT has stopped making PB processors (or at least the research thereof) and the next PB processor is rumored to come from IBM, but not until Q3 of 2004 -- so if that's worth the wait to you... :)

As far as I can see, the TiPB is the best deal on the market in terms of laptops. That is, unless you're willing to get a bare-bones machine and load Linux onto it. (I know people who've done it.).. but in that case it won't have as nice a screen...

ANyhow, that's how I voted my $2999.
(Fyi, I bought from MacWarehouse for $2905 last week -- which was fine, but they messed up the RAM upgrade -- sent me a 512MB chip for $75.. which doesn't really max out my RAM as the TiPB only has two slots.)

-Ljova

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Is it a good time to buy a Powerbook

Originally posted by Holling
Looking for some honest and wise advice. I'm in need of a new mac after recently switching from PC. I'm a multimedia designer, considered a tower but find the TiPowerbook to fine a machine to pass up. I was wating on superdrive and now I'm on the brink of buying a 1 gig 1 gig ram superdrive TiPB, I'm just concerned that I'm buying too soon before a major processing jump or a switch to a new chip. The RAM deal is a nice incentive but wouldnt let me hold off until MWSF. What is on the horizon for the Powerbook and when? Many Thanks!

Powerbook updates are something liek 6-9 months apart. The Powerbook will not be updated soon. Get it now.

When it does get updated... it seems unlikely that it will be bumped to a next-gen chip. the PowerMacs will get the fastest chip on the market first... and it will trickle down to the PowerBook.

arn

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
is anyone else sick of these "is it a good time to buy xxxx?" threads in the rumors sections?

No...because we understand that this question should be asked in the rumors section. Rumors are what keeps anyone from buying.

buy it now!

pmcaleer

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
I might also add that buying a refurbished unit from the Apple Store or Small Dog would be a great way to go. I bought my main system this way, and have absolutely no regrets. Saved some nice cash.

Holling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2002
Sorry for posting in the wrong area, wasnt sure how to class this post as it was rumor dependent but not a rumor itself. The advice was a huge help and I'm pricing each vendor now and will order tonight.

Holling

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
well, since we're here...

... I've heard a Rumor that a new poster Holling is planning to buy a TiBook? Can anyone verify this? ;) I guess we all learn... ;)

Count my vote in the "Now" column... I agree with arn's reply that 6-9 months is the product cycle - you're positioned well to feel excellent about buying now. You'll be more than happy that you bought now. There are very very few people that feel regret about investing in a Powerbook.

I think that the most important thing, however, is to buy the "Ultimate" model if a person is concerned with future releases. By buying the "Ultimate" model, you'll be ensured of having at the very least a model that is a good close second to the newer model - barring dramatic changes.

For the person that is considering future releases, it's always best to seek out Apple's "Ultimate" level offerings.

:cool:

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Well, there won't be another update until March or so. If you were waiting until MWSF then you'd be better to buy now. If you can wait 6 months then wait, best time to buy is every 6 months either for good deals or newest tech.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Echoing/parroting everyone's posts here, this is indeed an excellent time to buy a TiBook since Apple just recently updated its portable lineup. Buying right after Apple upgrades its lineup is a good idea since you know you are getting the best computer for your money at the time. If you can afford to wait another 6 months or so, it wouldn't be a terrible idea either.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Re: well, since we're here...

Originally posted by BenderBot1138
I think that the most important thing, however, is to buy the "Ultimate" model if a person is concerned with future releases. By buying the "Ultimate" model, you'll be ensured of having at the very least a model that is a good close second to the newer model - barring dramatic changes.

For the person that is considering future releases, it's always best to seek out Apple's "Ultimate" level offerings.

:cool:

Ahhh but couldnt you look at it the opposite way....:D

Buy the cheaper one and upgrade more often... ;)

If you buy the cheaper one you may actually be done paying for it by time the new ones come out.... ;)

I'm just playing devils advocate.....

either way is good. I would buy low end one but the ring of "1ghz" just sound so much cooler than 867mhz.:D so if i was to buy one i'd be seduced into buying the 1ghz with combo...

Padrote

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2002
Glendale, CA
I just got mine today. Investing in a laptop is different than any other computer purchase. Laptops aren't as upgradeable as desktops because of its limited ram slots, and processor upgrades. So if you are going to buy one, get the fastest, newest availabe this will at least keep you up to par with technology. There is really no use to trying to anticipate upcoming releases from Apple or any other manufacturer. Otherwise you will be waiting forever to purchase your TiBook. So grab your seat belt, and jump into the Powerbook lake with both feet first....

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Get it! They were just updated. Apple is slow with updates, so you don't have to ever worry about having the latest technology, because before they even release a product it is already outdated by quite a bit of time. (a bit of sarcasm and reality mixed there).

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
This is the first mac I've had in about 15 years, and I love it. I've had the 1gig superdrive pb now for about 4 days, and I'm in love. I slept with it last night!

Wren

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
Los Angeles
ABSOLUTELY! I am going to replace my 500MhZ iBook and get the TiSuperDrive 1GhZ:) I was having a dilemma on whether to wait for MWSF. But after reading several MAC forums, I doubt that they will have another upgrade by that time. I think I will purchase the TiPowerbook at the end of the year ( tax write off ) I will not open the box and wait till January 6th ( Expo ) and see. Apple store will exchange unopened boxes within 10 days!! So.. definitely buy one now!!:D

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
WAIT!!

Umm... isn't 10.3 coming out next month? Why not wait for that so you get the newest OS w/o paying extra for it. And, if by some act of grace from the heavens, there ARE hardware updates that strike your fancy at MWSF you can get that instead. Sort of a play it safe approach.

C'mon, you can wait 4 weeks, can't you?

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Buy it now. Play with it... I mean, use it now.

Even if they released something in a couple of months, you could have spent that time using it, or sitting around waiting for what comes next. I doubt 10.3 is going to be released next month, especially as a paid upgrade. And the $40 RAM upgrade won't last long.

If you want/need it now, buy it now.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Originally posted by solvs
Buy it now. Play with it... I mean, use it now.

Even if they released something in a couple of months, you could have spent that time using it, or sitting around waiting for what comes next. I doubt 10.3 is going to be released next month, especially as a paid upgrade. And the $40 RAM upgrade won't last long.

If you want/need it now, buy it now.

The $40 RAM upgrade is nice, but not as good as you can get from General Cybernetics. I priced around, and for the most part, prices on Apple stuff is very static, but what separates one company from another is the extras and the people you deal with. I got maxed out on Ram and some other stuff. Plus, you get to deal with one of your fellow Macrumors people. Backtothemac is very knowledgeable, nice, and when I had a problem, called me as soon as he got my message. Can't ask for much more than that.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
If you buy the coolest TiBook now you can know that you are going to have a current Apple laptop for at least a year. However, I always like buying the cheapest high-end laptop so I can upgrade on a yearly basis. The problem with buying the high end TiBook is that it will be the low-end soon...so you end up paying a $600-$1000 more just to have the newest thing. In the case of the newest TiBook...you get it at a historically cheap price $2999, it comes with 64MB of VRAM, and a slot load superdrive (even if it is 1X)... this is high end specs in a high end computer...and it's the first Apple 1Ghz laptop.

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Just a thought, but as Apple reduced the prices across the board on TiBooks with the latest update isnt it conceivable that this opens the way for a brand new "Top of the Range" model, set at the previous premium price or above, which could be released at MWSF?

This could possibly include hardware changes such as increased screen resolution, faster HD's, bigger screens even, who knows.

As I say, its just a thought but the recent price drops did pique my curiosity.
Vanilla

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Apple has had Powerbooks at these price points before. Truth is is that RAM and HD space are cheaper than ever. Apple can't have a TiBook at a $3799 price point anymore...noone will buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.