Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
How can I convert movies and TV shows downloaded from iTunes from m4v to mp4?? Or can I even do that given they are copy protected? I can't even made a still screen cap from any of my iTunes movie or TV show purchases.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Normally it does suffice to rename from .m4v to .mp4, but since that content is copy protected, it will not work anyway, thus no screenshooting and so on.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
how about finding an that itunes release (9.0.2) and install it on another mac (if available)?

Could I install iTunes 9 on a different user on the same Mac? Worst case scenario is that I'll have to find the episode online and download it "illegally".

patraulea

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
I can confirm REQUIEM is working! I just purchased a movie through iTunes and removed DRM protection with Requiem in order to be able to watch it over my Sony Bravia TV.

Nov 28, 2010
located
You can search a video converter on internet. there are many such converters available, including free version.

You must be new here and in the SPAM business in general. When you post such vague sentences, at least include a link to an example to hide your spam.
If the other web users have to click on your profile and find your other posts in order to find the website you spam for, does that not defeat the purpose?
Or is this some new kind of spam, interactive maybe?

Anyway, good luck, let's see how long you survive.

ethanyin

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014
Requiem is what I've been using for removing iTunes DRM until iTunes 11. Currently I'm addicted to TunesKit, similar to Requiem but works somewhat better in converting the iTunes files to MP4.
FYI. You can forget about Handbrake for now. I tried it before and it couldn't convert any copy-protected iTunes movie at all.

Reactions: andymiller0926

JasonA

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
Requiem is what I've been using for removing iTunes DRM until iTunes 11. Currently I'm addicted to TunesKit, similar to Requiem but works somewhat better in converting the iTunes files to MP4.
FYI. You can forget about Handbrake for now. I tried it before and it couldn't convert any copy-protected iTunes movie at all.
Does TunesKit re-encode the video? Or does it leave the video untouched and just strips off DRM, like Requiem does?

ethanyin

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014
Does TunesKit re-encode the video? Or does it leave the video untouched and just strips off DRM, like Requiem does?

I was curious about that so I contacted their team sometimes ago. They told me that this program doesn't perform a re-encoding of the movie but just leaves unchanged the video and audio tracks by removing all DRM only. After using it for a while, I'd take their word because I can't tell the difference between the original and converted videos by eyes.

JasonA

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
I was curious about that so I contacted their team sometimes ago. They told me that this program doesn't perform a re-encoding of the movie but just leaves unchanged the video and audio tracks by removing all DRM only. After using it for a while, I'd take their word because I can't tell the difference between the original and converted videos by eyes.
Thanks, I may have to look into switching to it. Right now it's a PITA to keep an extra hard drive with a bootable 10.6 system and old version of iTunes on it just to keep using Requiem.

Jacksonwill

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2014
United States
Handbrake, although it is a very popular video converter for its open-source and high performance, it is unable to remove DRM (eg:convert m4v to mp4). If you add an iTunes M4V video to Handbrake, Handbrake will not recognize it, let alone convert it. For getting a copy of iTunes movie, I only have two thoughts in mind. One is to record it with some recording software or some video converter with record feature plug in. The other is to use DRM video converter which aims to remove DRM and convert M4V video to plain other formats.

I know free DRM video converter like Requiem, but it no longer supports the latest iTunes. If I have to recommend, I suggest DRM Wizard DRM Video Removal, (visit: http://drm-wizard.com/) which works like a charm.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.