Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your favorite cloud service?

• iCloud Drive

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Google Drive

Votes: 15 15.3%
  • OneDrive

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • Dropbox

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
For me it's OneDrive all the way. For $65, I was able to get 1 TB of synced web storage that works flawlessly on my Mac, plus the full version of MS Office that works not only on 5 Macs, but also on my iPads. Heckuva deal.

Plus, OneDrive on the iPad does a great job of instantly backing up all my photos and videos to my OneDrive library.

I've moved all my documents, photos, videos and even iTunes library in there...and haven't even come close to using all the space.

reese2147

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2013
For me it's OneDrive all the way. For $65, I was able to get 1 TB of synced web storage that works flawlessly on my Mac, plus the full version of MS Office that works not only on 5 Macs, but also on my iPads. Heckuva deal.

Plus, OneDrive on the iPad does a great job of instantly backing up all my photos and videos to my OneDrive library.

I've moved all my documents, photos, videos and even iTunes library in there...and haven't even come close to using all the space.

100% agree on everything above. I **want** to buy into iCloud... but for me, it doesn't even come close to OneDrive.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Technically I use more than one, but my favorite is Dropbox. They have a client for every major OS out there, the sync works flawlessly, I can restore my Dropbox folder from Time Machine backup without having to re-download everything from the cloud, where Google requires you too. I love the third party support for Dropbox as well.

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I don't know about the $65 version but the $99 annual version of Office365 gives you the full Office suite on up to 5 PC/Mac's, mobile office, online based office and 1TB of free OneDrive included.

The kicker is that I can add additional household members to my Office365 account for free, they can legally use 1 or more of my 5 Office installs AND they also get their own 1TB of free OneDrive! I mean seriously... what's not to like?

Also as previously mentioned by JuryDuty, the OneDrive app on iPad, iPhone and Android also offer free automated picture and video downloads. Way to go MS! My free 5GB (seriously Apple?) iCloud account is used only for backing up the settings on my iPhone, iPad and keychain. Everything else goes to OneDrive.

Pow!

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Toronto
Oh yeah, I've been using iCloud Drive for years, nice and stable.

Really smart including a service that launched yesterday in the poll.

I can add additional household members to my Office365 account for free, they can legally use 1 or more of my 5 Office installs AND they also get their own 1TB of free OneDrive! I mean seriously... what's not to like?

What's not to like? Giving Microsoft money to use Microsoft software.
Stop calling it "free" OneDrive. You're paying $100 every 12 months for it.

Almost nobody wants to use the MS Office apps except businesspeople, and they are not paying for it, their company is.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Oh yeah, I've been using iCloud Drive for years, nice and stable.

Really smart including a service that launched yesterday in the poll.

Almost nobody wants to use the MS Office apps except businesspeople, and they are not paying for it, their company is.

iCloud drive has actually been there for Yosemite beta testers for a bit of time.

As to OneDrive, well $70 or so for a year of 1Tb cloud storage is a bargain to begin with. Pretty much makes the MS Office full version that comes along a freebie. And you get 60 minutes of Skype phone minutes to boot! If you have 4 friends or family, you can allow them to be one of the 5-users, and each of them gets the full MS Office too as well as their own 1Tb of cloud storage.

And if 'you' or others are paying $100 for it, you aren't paying attention! It is available in quite a few places for $65-$70/year for the Home Premium. And if you're really a cheapskate, you can get the one-user/one-computer version for around $50/year.

Pow!

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Toronto
And if 'you' or others are paying $100 for it, you aren't paying attention! It is available in quite a few places for $65-$70/year for the Home Premium. And if you're really a cheapskate, you can get the one-user/one-computer version for around $50/year.

Good sales pitch! I'm not the one paying though. Are you paying, or is your company?

Thanks for the additional info! $70-100 for 1TB/year is a decent deal, either way.

Really like the massive gaps between your paragraphs too!

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Haven't tried iCloud drive yet and am a drop box user. Does iCloud drive work with excel and other apps or is it just iWork apps that can use iCloud drive?

Pow!

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Toronto
Haven't tried iCloud drive yet and am a drop box user. Does iCloud drive work with excel and other apps or is it just iWork apps that can use iCloud drive?

Any app can see it as a folder to save to or open from.

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Texas

Except you're actually paying only $70 or so for it if you find a regular deal, AND you get the full Microsoft suite for 5 computers (Mac or PC) and your iPads. That's a deal any way you look at it.

Even if you take MS Office out of the equation because you wouldn't use it, OneDrive is still an excellent deal compared to competitors.

Pow!

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Toronto
Except you're actually paying only $70 or so for it if you find a regular deal, AND you get the full Microsoft suite for 5 computers (Mac or PC) and your iPads. That's a deal any way you look at it.

Even if you take MS Office out of the equation because you wouldn't use it, OneDrive is still an excellent deal compared to competitors.

…which is why I posted "$70-100 for 1TB/year is a decent deal, either way."
Reading. Gotta love it.

Also, only this Dropbox beta is using Yosemite's new built-in support for 3rd-party storage providers to integrate with the Finder, instead of the dangerous hack used by OneDrive, Google Drive, SugarSync, etc.

Last edited:

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Good sales pitch! I'm not the one paying though. Are you paying, or is your company?

Thanks for the additional info! $70-100 for 1TB/year is a decent deal, either way.

Really like the massive gaps between your paragraphs too!

I'm paying. I'm retired so I gotta pay. :) But it is such a great bargain as cloud services go, I don't mind at all.

The gaps are from Tapatalk for Window 8. It is a 'modern UI' app. Works well, but sure isn't perfect... :)

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Oh, so you're not using an iOS device with OneDrive.

Do you have a Mac or are you fully Windows on all your devices?

I still agree that $65-$100/year for 1TB is a decent deal.

No, my phone is a Windows phone. But I have a MBPr (late 2012) running Yosemite, and up until I started playing around with the Yosemite beta, was all Mac including the iPhone 5, iPad Mini, Mac Mini.

Still have all but the iPhone 5 and have a 20Gb iCloud storage account.

The reason I'm mostly Windows these days is skinny fonts and very, very, did I say 'very', pale pastel colorings on iOS and Yosemite. My old eyes just don't like it. :(

Pow!

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Toronto
The reason I'm mostly Windows these days is skinny fonts and very, very, did I say 'very', pale pastel colorings on iOS and Yosemite. My old eyes just don't like it. :(

When they started with the skinnier fonts in iOS 7, Apple provided a new set of settings, which are also available in iOS 8:
"You can enable Bold Text and Larger Type in Settings > General > Accessibility."

Less transparency is obtained with "Increase Contrast". (Do the same in Yosemite under System Preferences->Accessibility: Increase contrast & Reduce transparency, and Dark menu bar/Spotlight is under General).

I use Bold Text on my iPod Touch 5th-gen, I recommend it for your iPad Mini.

Still have all but the iPhone 5 and have a 20Gb iCloud storage account.

Did you go for the iCloud Drive option, or are you sticking with the old model for now? Also, is that an old iTools/.Mac/.me account that you purchased extra iDisk space with before iCloud? I'm curious if Apple gave deals to users who were 'grandfathered' in, as I always considered more iDisk space but never got around to it.

As well, are you using OneDrive on your iPad Mini?

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Did you go for the iCloud Drive option, or are you sticking with the old model for now? Also, is that an old iTools/.Mac/.me account that you purchased extra iDisk space with before iCloud? I'm curious if Apple gave deals to users who were 'grandfathered' in, as I always considered more iDisk space but never got around to it.

I'll start with the stuff I snipped. I have played around with all the accessibility stuff and never found something I loved. I did find things that made it slightly more tolerable.

But I like my Surface Pro better as a tablet/laptop.

I went for the iCloud Drive option and yes I came from the old iTools and others along the way. But I purchased after the new pricing came out and didn't get any kind of deal. Just the $0.99/month for 20Gb. That's all the space I need for iCloud as I use OneDrive more. I started using Windows Live Mesh and SkyDrive quite awhile back and found them very useful in filling the gaps that Apple left in all their various online stuff. Now I keep it 'cause it is so cheap. The 1Tb of space alone is worth the cost imo.

Personally I think OneDrive is the best cross-platform cloud services out there. iCloud is still somewhat limiting and the cost of storage is still a bit on the high side with no real benefit for the extra money.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
…other than integration with iMovie, Photo Streams, etc.

I'm thinking about signing up for this plan, thanks for the reminder of the price.

Thanks for the info. Have fun!

All those integration things have little value to me, so I guess I should have worded it differently.... :)

And yeah, that is a good price if you don't need huge cloud storage. My 1Tb is a bit of overkill for me and if I started backing up machines to it, my ISP would become a very happy camper!! :)

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Really interested in iCloud Drive, but am mainly depending on OneDrive for a while. OD has proven to be very reliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.